Missing messages, receive them via email but don't appear on ebay message inbox

hlmacdon
Community Member

Anyone else been having this problem? On the occasional message I'll get an ebay email with the contents of the message. If reply to the message through the ebay email and links within it comes up as normal on the website (ie the message exists), but if I check in my ebay message inbox through the website there is no trace of the message. It's happened several times of the past few weeks so not a one off glitch. Given the volume of emails some of us get it would be easy to otherwise miss these messages.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Before I saw it was you posting, I was going to give my standard reply of watch-out for phishing in a scenario such as you describe.

I often have discrepancies between email and ebay Messages but only when the message comes from ebay itself. As in, it has never happened with a message from another member. Also, I nearly never get an ebay message or email about promos that are available to my user ID but I think that's because I have my messaging settings set to 'don't bother me for any reason, ever'.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Also, whenever I reply to a buyer, I do it from ebay Messages proper. I was finding the record of messages exchanged vanished when I did it straight from email. Is that what you mean?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

(And I always like a record of messages exchanged. It helps me remember who I am speaking to about exactly what when there is a rapid-fire exchange about similar items/products to buyers that might have similar-looking ebay IDS.)

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Also, whenever I reply to a buyer, I do it from ebay Messages proper. I was finding the record of messages exchanged vanished when I did it straight from email. Is that what you mean?

Nope, they just never hit ebay messages proper. It is bizarre because they exist as I can click through from the ebay email notification (which is a valid ebay email) and it will link to the message and allow me to reply. The reply gets recorded in the sent message folder, but that is the only trace in ebay messages proper. Had I not noticed them via email there would have be no trace or indication of a message ever coming in.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

That sounds like the kind of issue that should be reported. For whatever it's worth, we all know many sellers would need to report it before finding a fix takes priority. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

... whenever I reply to a buyer, I do it from ebay Messages proper. I was finding the record of messages exchanged vanished when I did it straight from email.

One potential issue when replying from your email account (rather than via eBay) is that you have to make sure the Email reference id: line in the original email is included in the reply (and doesn't get mangled).

-..-

Message 7 of 7
latest reply