My first return

I got my v ery first return request today for a jewelry item (#351714601969) from a dad who was buying it for his daughter for her prom. I have no problem with him sending it back. Problem is he is saying it is broken or missing a piece which it is not. It is an older vintage rhinestone necklace (if you take a look at the pics you will see what I mean) with a hook -  I have had these types before - they do not have a ring for it to fit into but rather it fits between the large round stone at the end and the next smaller one. You can see nothing is broken off as it is prong set and you can see it in the one pic. Of course by him saying this I will have to pay shipping both ways. Just wondering what is the best way to handle this that I am not out a lot of money. He is saying that it is missing a piece and will not sit properly on his daughter's neck. Any advice would be welcome.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

My first return

He may well be right and when it's done up it won't sit flat on her back.   That's very easy to picture and 'd be inclined to believe this father buying a gift for his daughter.

You sold it for $14 plus $10.56 for shipping.  (Did it really cost almost C$14 t ship?)

In any case, return shipping will cost you almost $16 US.  

Remember, you sold it for $13 and it cost you much less.

Do you really want to pay that much to get an item back that didn't work out the first time around?

I'd just refund in full and forget about it.  

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

My first return

Plan to refund before eBay/PP does.

After that, you have to decide whether you want it back for resale or not.

To get it back you will have to send him the funds for the return postage. You can choose the service (he will be happier if it has Confirmed Delivery but First Class International has that) and use Paypal's Send Money feature .

Put the eBay transaction number and case number in the Send Money text box.

Or you could refund the payment, and tell him to keep or donate the necklace.

He thinks of it as a $25 item remember, so while you and I may think it is unfair that you refund both selling price and shipping price, he won't.

But yeah. Refund.

(I bet the little darling hates the necklace and gave her devoted daddy attitude about it. But I am a nasty and cynical old woman.)

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

My first return

Thanks Femme - Yeah guess it is best just to do the refund. Think what upset me the most was that he indicated that it was broken or had a piece missing cause there is nothing wrong with it but of course that way if I don't do a refund and pay the return shipping he will just open a case as INAD and eBay will side with him anyway. It is actually a really pretty piece and hate to just let him keep it and me be out of pocket. Oh well guess I just have to suck it up like all the other things we suck up on eBay. My rant for the night - thanks for the advice.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

My first return

Im just surprised that this your first return request after so many sales. Not bad.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

My first return

@katlover1952 wrote:

Thanks Femme - Yeah guess it is best just to do the refund. Think what upset me the most was that he indicated that it was broken or had a piece missing cause there is nothing wrong with it but of course that way if I don't do a refund and pay the return shipping he will just open a case as INAD and eBay will side with him anyway. It is actually a really pretty piece and hate to just let him keep it and me be out of pocket. Oh well guess I just have to suck it up like all the other things we suck up on eBay. My rant for the night - thanks for the advice.

Do you have to refund the whole thing and not  a partial? The pictures are so clear and there is nothing misleading. I don't see how he can say INAD but you're right that ebay will probably side with him anyway if he files a claim. This looks to me more of a case of Buyer Changed Mind like a sweater that doesn't fit right, not the sellers fault, and the buyer has to pay their own return shipping. 

I'm with you, its a nice piece and I hate to see you just let him keep it, a nice free gift.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

My first return

I read your item description and looked at the pictures.  The description you gave - It has the older type hook closure - may describe it perfectly to someone who has bought and worn vintage jewellery before, but a father and his prom-age daughter are not likely to have had a great deal of experience buying vintage jewellery - it probably meant nothing and didn't even register.  If you sell something with a similar closure in the future, why not add what you wrote in your post -  they do not have a ring for it to fit into but rather it fits between the large round stone at the end and the next smaller one - or some similar more detailed explanation of how the shepherd's hook secures the necklace.

If it were me, when I refunded the money, I would very very politely provide a further explanation of this hook clasp type of closure just to gently clarify for them that it is not broken, and is in fact a popular type of closure from the 1950s-1960s.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply