National Geographic 1970-80-90

Hi ebayers,

I have on hand a bundle (200-250 units) of National Geographic magazine from 1970-80 and '90. Is there anyone know if it have any value ?

I received those from my wife family (father and grand father) many years ago... The wife want to trow it in the recycling and I tend more to keep it for few years !!!...

Thank you for your advise ! 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you decide not to list, and plan to recycle, please consider reuse instead.  There are many groups that hold annual book sales for fund raising, where National Geographics are popular low-price sellers - eg. local Symphony Orchestras, Theatre Groups, etc.  And the Salvation Army Thrift Stores sell them.  Some retirement homes and/or nursing homes happily accept these for residents to read.  Just make sure they do not have any storage odours, as seniors/ sick people could be more sensitive to mould issues.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Over 16,000 listings - located in North America - of National Geographic are currently available on eBay:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Magazine-Back-Issues-/280/i.html?_from=R40&_sop=15&_dcat=280&Issue%2520Type=M...

You take a look and decide if you want to spend your time selling them here.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I should add:  "A happy wife is a happy life".

Listen to your wife... always! Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Do a search on eBay to check if certain individual magazines yield a high value.

Sometimes individual magazines are collected for one reason or another.

If you have e any like that, list them.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Look at the advertising.

Old National Geographics showed up at an auction sale..... from the 1940's and up through the 1950's.

The advertising during World War II was phenomenal.....  then came all of the coca cola advertising   from days-gone-by.

Someone paid pennies for the group left over... and planned to strip the advertising

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Let them go. Consider that they printed millions of these. Not everything has value related to the effort put in to sell.

Things that I set free in the forest, run away and are never seen or heard from again.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

If you decide not to list, and plan to recycle, please consider reuse instead.  There are many groups that hold annual book sales for fund raising, where National Geographics are popular low-price sellers - eg. local Symphony Orchestras, Theatre Groups, etc.  And the Salvation Army Thrift Stores sell them.  Some retirement homes and/or nursing homes happily accept these for residents to read.  Just make sure they do not have any storage odours, as seniors/ sick people could be more sensitive to mould issues.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

" There are many groups that hold annual book sales for fund raising"

Locally, these groups (such as Alzheimer Society book sales) do NOT want National Geographic.  They still have thousands of copies stored away with no buyer.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Thank you all for your suggestions... Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

National Geographic magazines are among the items I sell, and I do a steady turnover. Just sold one yesterday, in fact. It's funny, as sometimes I'll go 2 or 3 months without selling one, then all of a sudden 3 or 4 will sell in a week followed by another couple the week after. I started with 3 shelves packed with them. I now have just over 1 shelf full. That's over about a 2 year period. They are not overly fast sellers, but they do sell.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Hi Gillian... thank for your comments.

And I saw your listing. Let me know if you are interested to buy my inventory !... 😉

Regards.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Thanks rockp, but I don't buy inventory. My stuff is either my own old unwanted stuff, or items given me by family and friends. 🙂

Message 12 of 12
latest reply