New eBay metrics to consider re Canada Post Strike & Free October Tuesdays

Before you decide what to do about the looming CPC strike and/or slowdown -- whether to keep selling, keep your store open or not, and whether to use the CPC "Free October Shipping Tuesdays" deal, you might want to read through this thread, which I noticed today.   

There is some information in this thread by @tyler about impending changes by eBay to seller service metrics that will take effect just as this postal disruption is about to happen.   Presumably he can answers any other questions on Wednesday.  

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/About-Defects/m-p/409404#M97687

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Well first let’s see if there is a strike or lockout.

Before you read that thread, it would be helpful to read about the new service metric system in the fall update.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2018-fall/service-metrics-and-shipping.html

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

As far as the metrics go, I don't immediately see it as a huge issue. (That may change depending on what happens)

From what I see certain metrics don't affect the money you pay to sell items, but they affect other areas of your business where there may not be an immediate financial burden. Some of this comes down to the fact that many of us feel a sense of unjustice when we get "dinged" for something that a buyer did. 

But in the grand scheme of things, it's not all that uncommon for eCommerce, as there are always issues. The only difference is, these "issues" whether our fault or others fault, are now put in one basket and counted as a whole. So don't feel bad because for every defect you have, there are thousands of other sellers who are in the same boat. 

Recap: eBay is changing metrics to show reality of eCommerce, not to "punish" or put a spotlight on sellers. For those who prided themselves with a 100% record, you will have to get rid ready for a little mud. It won't hurt...that much.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

wait until you get a few items not as described, then you will see a difference, ebay can step in and add 4% to your final value fees , and on shipping too, and your 10% seller discount doesn't help on these..   just wait for it.. it's coming..

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If you recall, the core issues that were at the heart of the previous disruption were never resolved at all.   The chance that the union(s) will give CPC a pass on those a second time seems pretty slim.   In some ways, a strike is almost better than the weeks of on-again, off-again, what's-going-to-happen-tomorrow sort of disruption we had to deal with.  

Regardless, the only reason I posted that thread was to give sellers a heads-up who may not have been aware of the new metrics -- it never hurts to be prepared, does it?  Or perhaps you objected to my post because you feel it's better to wait until there's a problem impacting us before we consider a strategy.   I prefer to be able to plan, sorry if that seems old-fashioned. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If you recall, the core issues that were at the heart of the previous disruption were never resolved at all.   The chance that the union(s) will give CPC a pass on those a second time seems pretty slim.  ...

2 of the core issues from last time have been dealt with: rural vs urban pay, and pensions.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

2 of the core issues from last time have been dealt with: rural vs urban pay, and pensions.

So what's left?  

Never mind, here's a fairly good summary (from CTV News) of the current situation (the rural v. urban pay issue was only resolved last week).   The problem I see is that now the RSMCs have received a 25% pay hike, this could make getting a negotiated settlement on other workers' wages more difficult.  Blood from a stone, will be CPC's position no doubt.   So really, the RSMC issue being resolved might only serve to complicate matters.   Things are in a stand-off at the moment, I'd rather not take the chance of staying open. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/arbitrator-awards-rural-canada-post-carriers-pay-hike-of-up-to-25-pe...

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

This looks promising too.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/canada-post-strike-averted-for-now-as-carriers-say-they-ll-keep-talk...

As usual, the union don't want to strike, so it's down to seeing if management will choose to lock them out.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The problem I have is that I sell mostly to the U.S.  They know nothing, and couldn't care less even if they did, about Canadian postal issues.   They assume they'll get similar delivery to USPS service standards.   At the rate I'm selling at the moment, I can't afford to upset any of my customers, and sending a parcel off then having it suddenly get stuck somewhere in the system due to a lockout, slowdown or strike, is a grim prospect.  (It takes 3 to 4 days at the best of times to get a parcel from where I live to the U.S. border). 

I really don't even care about the defects, etc. anymore.  I just can't afford to provide less than great service to my buyers, given that all my competitors are in the U.S. and can promise under 3 day delivery.   Word does get around online about poor sellers or bad service in my "world".   Right now I'm none too pleased with Canada Post, but have no viable alternatives.   So I'll just sit this one out until it's resolved.  

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

... the union don't want to strike, so it's down to seeing if management will choose to lock them out.

Sept 27: Canada Post said it will not lockout.

"If the union decides to conduct a legal rotating job action, Canada Post would remain committed to negotiating and we would continue to operate."

Right in my comfort zone, based on my delivery experience during the 2011 rotating strikes.

-..-

Message 10 of 10
latest reply