No more 5 star Ratings for Shipping and Handling

I couldn't believe that Ebay has taken away seller's efforts for handle shipping and handling on .com. I found out that you can no longer get rated for shipping and handling unless you are giving free shipping.I think you may still be able to on .CA , but for how long. What a crock.  I have never had anyone complain about my shipping cost where I always send with expedited and ship usually next day.

I guess I should jack up my price on items and then offer free shipping. While Im at it, maybe I should give 2 for the price of one, or better yet. I should ship over night to get better rating for shipping time. This whole rating thing is nonsense. Just stick to the feedbacks

Anyone know how we get rated on this now that the customer can't rate us. What next?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I'm not sure what you are referring to. For quite a while a buyer has not been able to rate a seller on shipping cost if the shipping was free.  You're saying that it is just the opposite now? That doesn't sound right.

If ebay did take away the shipping and handling rating, why would that be a bad thing? 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I understand the value of DSRs will be deflated come February.

Thank heavens if Shipping Time is being removed as a Rating. Way too many buyers misunderstood this as 'How long did the item take to arrive?" instead of 'How long did the seller take to get it in the mail?'

Angst ensued.

And while Free Shipping is an automatic Five Stars, again Canadian sellers are hurt by this since our shipping costs are higher both domestically and to the USA than US sellers pay. So losing Shipping Cost as a rating is a good thing-- even for the most conciensious

seller.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I think this is .com buyers only. I dont think it has come to .ca yet.

Buyers on.com can no longer give rating on shipping and handling if there was no free shipping for that item. If you are providing free shipping, you will automatically get a 5 star rating. According to Ebay

On the other hand Im wondering if ebay automatically gives us a 4.5? I really dont think Shipping and handling ratings is done away with.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

As I mentioned earlier, ebay has given an automatic for shipping costs if the shipping was free for quite a while so buyers who didn't pay a separate shipping cost have not been able to rate that category for a long time.  It's possible that the shipping cost DSR will go away altogether sometime in the future but if it still there, I would think that buyers who for paid for shipping will still be able to rate sellers in that area. 

Why do you say that they can't rate buyers now....did you read that somewhere and if so..where?  You never answered either why that upsets you? Why would you willingly want to be rated on something that the buyer knew at the time of the transaction?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@jersey..authentix wrote:

I think this is .com buyers only. I dont think it has come to .ca yet.

Buyers on.com can no longer give rating on shipping and handling if there was no free shipping for that item. If you are providing free shipping, you will automatically get a 5 star rating. According to Ebay

On the other hand Im wondering if ebay automatically gives us a 4.5? I really dont think Shipping and handling ratings is done away with.

I asked about this at today's Wed. Board Hour, and Raphael's answer was as I (and others here) expected -- there has been no change. 

Are you sure you're not getting confused about the policy that 'pjcdn' mentioned above?  It sounds as if you've understood it backwards.  You also seem to be confusing shipping time DSR with shipping cost DSR.  They are two different things. 

That policy with respect to shipping cost DSR is that a buyer can't leave a DSR rating if the shipping was free.  If the buyer has received free shipping, that shipping cost DSR will automatically show 5 stars and there is no way the buyer can change it.  This is a good thing! 

In other words, this is an automatic advantage to any seller offering free shipping -- because the buyer has no say in this particular DSR if he has received free shipping, the seller will always get the maximum possible rating (5 stars).   This has been in place for quite a long time, at least a couple of years. 

If a buyer pays anything at all for shipping, then the buyer gets to rate the seller on the shipping cost DSR.  

This has nothing to do with the shipping time DSR, which is a completely separate question on the feedback page.  

In any case, as 'pjcdn' says, I don't think it would be a bad thing at all if eBay did away with both the Shipping Cost and the Shipping Time DSRs entirely.  In fact, under the new system that takes effect February 20th, the Shipping Time DSR will no longer be counted toward seller evaluation anyway.  In my opinion, they might as well get rid of it completely.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I cant speak for Raphael's knowledge of the on goings of Ebay, but the issue exists as I have experienced it myself. As I can still give others feedback, I cant repeat the issue.

My only concern is if Ebay still wants to reward sellers who ship for free, Then where does this leave sellers that dont. Does Ebay automatically set our DSR's in this category.

If The case is that DSR's are eliminated in this category, then why rate free shipping sellers only, or at all

?

Bellow demonstrates that no ratings can be given  for shipping and handling charges.

Rate details about this purchase

How accurate was the item description?
Very inaccurate not selectedInaccurate not selectedNeither inaccurate nor accurate not selectedAccurate not selectedVery accurate not selected
How satisfied were you with the seller's communication?
Very unsatisfied not selectedUnsatisfied not selectedNeither unsatisfied nor satisfied not selectedSatisfied not selectedVery satisfied not selected
How quickly did the seller ship the item?
Very slowly not selectedSlowly not selectedNeither slowly nor quickly not selectedQuickly not selectedVery quickly not selected
How reasonable were the shipping and handling charges?
Very unreasonableUnreasonableNeither unreasonable nor reasonableReasonable
Why can't I enter this rating?

Free shipping automatically gives the seller a five-star rating.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

"Then where does this leave sellers that dont. Does Ebay automatically set our DSR's in this category. "

When a seller sells on a "free listing" basis, no DSR is given by the buyer since eBay automatically gives a 5

When a seller does not offer "free shipping" the rating for that DSR is made by the buyer (not eBay) at time of leaving feedback.

PS - It should be noted that more than 50% of all listings on eBay offer "free shipping".

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Bellow demonstrates that no ratings can be given  for shipping and handling charges.

No, it only demonstrates that buyers cannot rate free shipping.  Clicking on 'why can't I enter this rating' should have

explained that. This particular transaction did have free shipping..correct?  If so, nothing has changed. Buyers can not rate shipping cost for free shipping...because there is no specific cost to rate and buyers can still rate sellers on their shipping cost.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

And, because I am feeling mischievous today, Free Shipping is never free.

The actual cost of shipping is included in the selling price of the item.

TANSTAAFL

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

"And, because I am feeling mischievous today,"

Today?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

TANSTAAFL

OK, I'll bite -- what's this now? Woman LOL