Options for a buyer changing his mind after I have sent a package

I just had a buyer from the U.S. contact me today to say that he has changed his mind and doesn't want the item he has purchased but I have already sent the item. He has told me that he is going to send the item back as soon as he gets it. This is the first time this has happened to me. I sent the item with tracking and signature.

What are my options going forward if he still wants to send the item back? Some advice would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Well the buyer has all the track info my guess is wait for the return then ask for mutual cancellation ??The buyer has put you on the spot and if honest should wait for refund, they will get money back anyway.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Option? Your best option is to follow what you said in the listing.....

Returns: 7 day money back, buyer pays return shipping

You refund the buyer when you get the item back then go to the resolution centre to file for your fee refund, use "buyer changed mind" as the reason.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

When I refund, do I have to refund the shipping as well since I've paid for the shipping and it wasn't my fault he has changed his mind? I can understand refunding the shipping if it were lost or damaged.

I dropped the package off at the post office and notified him that it was shipped with tracking on Sat and he changed his mind on Mon. He still hasn't received the package yet seeing as it is only Tues.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

The buyer changed mind buyer pays for return, plus side they may just keep, block this fickle buyer.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

You've got it right.

The Standard Practice is that the buyer pays for the return. The wise buyer will also use Delivery Confirmed ('tracked') shipping.

Both are based on what Paypal demands in a Claim.

But if the error was the seller's, refunding the return postage is polite, ethical,and leads to a happier customer. This is a Best Practice.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Do I have to give a full refund including the shipping I charged the buyer or just on the item? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the item since he hasn't even received it yet. He just changed his mind about wanting it. I messaged him that he had to send it back with tracking and signature to ensure he was covered. I don't think I should be out of pocket for the shipping I paid to send the item that he agreed to buy. I know ebay has some funny policies so I just wanted to make sure I get it right.

I don't know if this is normal practice but in a hypothetical situation, what happens if he decides to just write "return to sender" on the package or doesn't pick it up or sign for it? Am I on the hook for the return shipping?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@riceqa02 wrote:

I don't know if this is normal practice but in a hypothetical situation, what happens if he decides to just write "return to sender" on the package or doesn't pick it up or sign for it? Am I on the hook for the return shipping?

Depends on two things, what type of service it was sent with and the mood of the postal workers along the way. I've had it go both ways.

One thing, if the buyer is shipping it back themselves (not refusing delivery) they need to properly complete the customs form by at a minimum including a statement such as "Goods returned for refund". If this isn't done you may get hit up for taxes and Canada Post handling fee.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 8
latest reply