Question about return regarding compatibility.

Hello all,

I sell this adapter that has a higher then normal rate of returns. This is the item below and the return reason is usually because it doesn't work. It doesn't work with older keyboard and mice because they were made before USB. I put that in big bold letters first in description but people still buy it and try then return.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/192986312794

I have refunded every time no questions asked and I have even got a negative removed for this exact item and return. 

I recently got another return for it and I'm kinda tired of refunding for it. I'll just cut the product out soon if that's the case.

The question is do you think I would win the cases if I just escalated to eBay seeing as it clearly says on the listing in big bold letters it won't work on older keyboards and mice?

thanks

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Ebay no longer investigates if they are asked to step in before the return.  If you escalate before you accept the return and/or before the refund, the buyer would still be refunded and you would have an unresolved claim defect.  But if you appeal after you have refunded and show that it wasn’t a not as described situation,  eBay may give you a courtesy refund.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I used to sell these same adapters years ago on another eBay ID I had. Same issue as you have but I put in the listing description to check the bottom of the mouse or keyboard to see if "USB or PS/2 Compatible" was written there then the adapter would work. It nothing was written on the bottom or if "PS/2 Compatible" was written then the adapter would not work. It had to have USB and PS/2 written on the bottom of the mouse for the adapter to work.

The issue you have is not the buyers fault since most will not know what to look for to see if the adapter will work. Your line in the description "Note: Will only work with USB Compatible devices. Older devices usually won't work." is accurate but vague since an end user will not know what it means and how to tell if the adapter will work.

Try adding in something explaining how to check for compatibility (look for USB and PS/2 Compatible on the bottom of the mouse) to help the buyer decide if it works for them. Of course you hope that the buyer will read the description and not just go by the pictures. Many buyers will not read the description.

I am looking at a few old mice I have in my parts box for testing older computers. One Microsoft says "USB and PS/2 Compatible" which can use an adapter. Another Microsoft one says "Mouse Port Compatible Mouse" and will not use the adapter to convert to USB. I know this from many years experience on using these adapters. Another Microsoft one says "PS/2 Compatible" and will not work with the adapter. Another HP brand PS/2 mouse I have says nothing on the bottom and will not work with the adapter.

The item at $5 CDN with free shipping within is a fair price but have one adapter refunded kills the profit from selling 2 or 3 or 4 others without issues. You just have to accept the over profit from selling the items over a year with the refunds to decide if it is worth selling them overall.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply