Scammed by a buyer!

brwa143
Community Member
I sold an item on Ebay and the buyer paid via PayPal. But the email sent from the PayPal was fake and requested the item shipping details before I got the money. After I sent out the item the buyer contacted me and said she over paid the fee and want me to sent back the additional amount. PayPal(fake one) also contact me and ask me to give the money back to the buyer in order to unlock the fee. At this point is where I knew it was a scam. I didn't recieved any money at all and I probably lost the sold item as well.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Scammed by a buyer!

I'm so sorry that this happened. The buyer must have asked you for your Paypal address which is generally the first sign of a scam.. Buyers don't need to know that address as they can pay directly through the purchase on ebay.

Do you have tracking information for the parcel and is still in the postal system and still in Canada?  If so, it might be possible to 'redirect' the package back to your address. I have never done it and don't know of anyone else who has tried to do it but here is some info in case it isn't too late to try.   I haven't read all of the info but if you purchased your label at the post office rather than online I don't know if the service is available.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=package-redirection&cattype=kb&cat=generali...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Scammed by a buyer!

Oh dear.

Barn door and all that.

Only ship if you see the money in your Paypal account. Don't believe anything else, not an email from PP, not a Message from eBay.

Not even a checkmark under Paid on your Sold list.

If it is not in your Paypal account,it is not paid.

Personally, I use the PP payment form as my record for almost everything. I print it out for my bookkeeping. I can print a shipping label from there.* I can record a tracking number. I can switch back to eBay from PP and leave feedback and record the tracking number with eBay. I can print a packing slip for my customer.

Do try immediately to recall your shipment. Start with online right now.

You may find it best to go to a Post Office rather than a postal outlet if online fails. Most outlet staff try hard, but they don't have the background training of the postal employees.

* The first time you do this you will need your Solutions for Small Business number from Canada Post. https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page? It's free and can be obtained online or at any PO.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Scammed by a buyer!

even though scammers can send you fake emails, it won't show up in your ebay awaiting payments page, or orders ready to ship page.. if you don't get all green lights you should never ship..

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Scammed by a buyer!

Scammers are getting better everyday which means it is a must to verify all emails I receive from  FedEx, UPS, Purolator, CP, Amazon, and of course paypal,

Nowadays they seem to" time" their phishing emails with my purchases, I could be wrong but I always receive some fake emails soon after I buy something from eBay or Amazon, emails like "your purchase did not go through" or "your account is limited" ,or "your package is waiting for your conformation " they all look legit and I supposedly would be more inclined to take the bait due to my age or my recent inquiry/purchase.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply