Search Results May Vary With Managed Payments

Search results will vary between eBay sites once managed payments is fully implemented. 

See post 34 -  From: Charles_Payments (eBay Staff)

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/ebay-Managed-Payment-for-Canadian-selling-in-US-site/m-p/3107...

Hello everyone, 

I just wanted to loop back on this thread to clarify international sales support on eBay for Canadian and US sellers.

In order for someone to directly create a managed payments on eBay.com they are required to have a US bank account and an applicable tax identifier. Similarly for eBay.ca, sellers must have a Canadian bank account. We are working on adding international sales capabilities so that eBay.com sellers can have their listings surface on eBay.ca.

We are working to enable managed payments sellers on eBay.ca to have their listings surface on eBay.com.

I can't provide an exact launch for international sales support on managed payments, but we will provide updates as they come up.

Follow up from Charles_Payments:

Hello,

I apologize for the confusion. With managed payments, when a seller lists on one website, it does not automatically appear on all sites. Managed payments currently supports having listings appear on some sites, depending on where the seller is registered. We are working on expanding that support as soon as possible.

Hello,

With managed payments, the international sales capabilities was in development for awhile so we haven't been promoting it widely until recently. We're currently working on our messaging, however, so your question is very timely. At eBay my role is only focused on managed payments, so I'm not extremely familiar with the old model. I know the basics, but can't speak to granular details such as costs per country.

With managed payments the surfacing is triggered by the countries the seller offers shipping to, provided the country supports the surfacing. We're still working on expanding international sales support in managed payments but it a high priority for us. As further developments come up we'll be sharing them.

Follow up from Dot ca(Edited as required):

"If you've been notified to register you can request a contact from a payments trained teammate". 

"In this situation, here's the context I am able to provide. 

Initially, payments will be site-locked but allow listings to be found on other sites. That is, you would only be able to list items on eBay.ca, but if you offered international shipping those items would be shown in search results on other sites. 

This is short term - plans are to expand the capability to list directly on other managed payments sites very soon, before most members even join payments. 

So, if your account were eligible to join now, and you enrolled and were activated into payments you would only be able to list on .ca, but you could offer international shipping to the US and buyers would be able to see and purchase your items on .com."

-Lotz

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if this nuance shows up anywhere in Managed Payments info. Only passing along as a heads up to anyone interested. I spotted in the attached dot com discussion entirely by accident.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Just now read the .com community discussion Lotz referenced at the beginning of this thread. I gotta admit the revelation about MP sellers' listings not "surfacing" (there, used my new word of the day)  in search on non MP sites, wherever that may be around the world, got my attention too .... I'd not previously considered that aspect of the rollout.

If MP listings are not going to be "surfacing" in Spain or Sweden or Poland and the like that's not good. I'm still aiming for a few of these sorts of customers so MP is still a non starter as far as I'm concerned.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Search on various sites has always depended on whether the seller ships to that location and even if they do ship there, there is no guarantee that the listing will be shown in search on those sites.     Perhaps it will take time for them to set it up so that all countries have the ability to pay through MP but other than that, I don’t t see this as being a big change.

I’m not sure why this Rep is  saying we would need a US bank account to  list on.com since we have been told the amounts paid in $US would be converted to $C before being deposited into our bank account.  I don’t think they are giving out correct info.

I think that mandicrafts linked to that  same .com thread and asked Tyler about it recently but  I can’t remember where I saw that or if Tyler replied.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

granular

surfacing

site-locked.

Help me, Obi-Wan, I only speak English and French.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I don't think "charles_payments really understands what he is talking about, the clarifications are confounding.

He should read the user agreement

https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/terms.html#June2020InternationalSales

2. International Sales

eBay may allow you to list your items on more than one eBay site. Because multiple eBay Payment Entities provide Payment Services, you may receive Payment Services from more than one eBay Payment Entity, as follows:

• If you receive Payment Services from an eBay Payment Entity, such entity is appointed to process transactions and manage the settlement of funds related to your sales. 
  • Each eBay Payment Entity is appointed to manage payments for sales on one or more sites, as set forth in the table below (“Responsible Payment Entity”). The site on which you list your item will determine the Responsible Payment Entity for a given sale. For example, ECA would be the Responsible Payment Entity if you sell an item that you listed on ebay.com.au.
  • Your “Payout Entity” is the eBay Payment Entity associated with the country in which you reside or are established as a business. You will receive all disbursements to your Linked Bank Account from this entity, regardless of where you list your items.
  • If you sell an item listed on an eBay site whose Responsible Payment Entity is also your Payout Entity, your Payout Entity will process the sale and settle the corresponding funds to your Linked Bank Account. For example, if your Payout Entity is ECCA, your sales proceeds on ebay.ca will be processed and settled to your Linked Bank Account by ECCA.
  • If you sell an item listed on an eBay site whose Responsible Payment Entity differs from your Payout Entity, the Responsible Payment Entity will process the sale and transfer the corresponding funds to your Payout Entity, which will receive the funds on your behalf and in turn disburse them to your Linked Bank Account. For example, if your Payout Entity is eCI, your sales proceeds on ebay.de will be managed by eBay Sarl and settled to eCI. eCI will then disburse the funds to your Linked Bank Account.

The following table illustrates these distinctions:

Go to the link to see the table, it doesn't copy/paste very well.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I think  "Charles_Payments"  is being paid by the amount of words he can spew out.

That is the worst word salad I have heard.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

In the recent past,  eBay listings would come up in search from other locations even USA without rates. All you had to do was inquire to confirm IF a seller would ship to you location. Once managed payments kicks in that would be off the table. In theory you had visibility across all of eBay Land. As a Canadian seller the only site you can technically add for "extra exposure" is the UK with the additional costs per listing. Not sure if US sellers can add other specific sites. It wouldn't be the first time things were done on dot com but not for dot ca.

Country list2.JPGSecondly it wouldn't have been posted if it wasn't going to change how search results will show or where and if your listings will be seen. However you want to look at it. As per the original message much will depend on as the other sites get added and who knows how long that could/would/might take? Kinda like advertising a new shipping method intended for use with MP for the spring update and it still not being rolled out...Yet!!!

-Lotz

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

eBay listings would come up in search from other locations even USA without rates. All you had to do was inquire to confirm IF a seller would ship to you location.

Do you mean the "Seller may not ship to your location. " or "Seller may ship to your location, please enquire for rates."  Notes on the Shipping tab?

Do you mean those will now disappear? 

Boy, eBay seems to want to have fewer sellers making fewer sales.

It would be interesting to hear how the Chinese sellers on eBay China are reacting to not being able to have a US dollar bank account in addition to their Chinese bank account for their dotCOM sales.  On the bright side, those constant claims that a Chinese scammer just had to start a new account might be better controlled once there are restrictions on bank accounts.

@Charles_Payments@ebay.com

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@femmefan1946 

That's why I asked for clarification prior to posting. Especially that tidbit about sites as added.  It caught me by complete surprise. A possible rational could be to reduce the number of actual listings per website but that's a guess at best. Because of GTC it has made doing any kind of search a little bit more trial and error, especially if you were looking for something unique. 

In that same discussion it also mentions Canadian sellers who were selling on dot com and US sellers that list on dot ca. The concept of having to move them from one site to the other because of MP.  Sadly, not so easy peasy as they suggest for anyone with a very large quantity or the tool to do it with.

-Lotz

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I don’t see where he says that listings in MP will not show on another site if the seller ships there but does not list a price.  Please quote where he says that.  

As far as those listings currently showing on all other sites just because you ship there...they don’t.  Some listings now show on other sites and some don’t, even if the sellers ships to that country.  It’s quite possible that there will be changes in that regard but I really see any specifics in that post so we are drawing different conclusions about what is being said.  I guess we will find out in the future exactly how it will work.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@femmefan1946 

That's why I asked for clarification prior to posting. Especially that tidbit about sites as added.  It caught me by complete surprise. A possible rational could be to reduce the number of actual listings per website but that's a guess at best. Because of GTC it has made doing any kind of search a little bit more trial and error, especially if you were looking for something unique. 

In that same discussion it also mentions Canadian sellers who were selling on dot com and US sellers that list on dot ca. The concept of having to move them from one site to the other because of MP.  Sadly, not so easy peasy as they suggest for anyone with a very large quantity or the tool to do it with.

-Lotz

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

@femmefan1946 

-Lotz

As I mentioned in my post the other day,the information In that post being given about a .ca seller not being able to list on ,com unless they have a  US bank account is incorrect. Unless a Canadian seller does not want to keep selling on com  and have the funds converted to $C and then be put into their Canadian bank account, there is no reason to move listings.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

All from the original discussion from dot com. Post 34.  The last response was as per Tyler. Most things on eBay tend to lose something in the translation or are up for interpretation. 

-Lotz

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Just now read the .com community discussion Lotz referenced at the beginning of this thread. I gotta admit the revelation about MP sellers' listings not "surfacing" (there, used my new word of the day)  in search on non MP sites, wherever that may be around the world, got my attention too .... I'd not previously considered that aspect of the rollout.

If MP listings are not going to be "surfacing" in Spain or Sweden or Poland and the like that's not good. I'm still aiming for a few of these sorts of customers so MP is still a non starter as far as I'm concerned.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I'm also really worried about the following, that I saw on an ebay.com thread:

"

There are a few more details in the Terms of Service:

Charity, International Listings, and International Site Visibility

If you use managed payments, certain types of active listings you have may end as they are currently not supported by managed payments. Please note:

• To prevent your active international listings from being ended, you need to cancel your listings on international sites and relist them on eBay.com. If you do not take this step, your listings may be cancelled.
  • To prevent the ending of your listings which have eBay for Charity as an option, you need to revise your items and remove the eBay for Charity option. If you do not take this step, your listings may be cancelled or we may remove the eBay for Charity option from your listings.
  • You must edit your listings to remove the international site visibility advanced listing upgrade. You may need to contact customer service with your item IDs to receive a fee credit for this feature."

I have backed out of signing up for Managed Payments about 6 times in the past few weeks because I keep reading confusing/problematic statements and have been on ebay a LONG time, long enough to know that what you are told by reps is often not accurate and that errors will not be fixable. I highly expect almost all of my listings to be ended if I sign up, as almost all have the UK visibility upgrade (see red text above). I had phoned about another vague statement about "some listings may be ended", and was told that it only applied to Adult category etc., but then today I saw the above Terms of Service statement.

Has anyone who lists on ebay.ca but who has mostly US/UK/Australia sales, and who uses the UK visibility upgrade, switched to Managed Payments? If so, were your listings ended? Do your items still show up on these International sites, as they did before?

I can't take the chance of enabling Managed Payments until I know for sure what is going to happen to my existing listings, and my International and US visibility.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply