Seller Provided Return Labels - Carrier?

As sellers, we're allowed to provide our own labels for Buyer INAD items.

I've done this before for my US INADs (USPS is pretty cheap and easy for my tiny items being returned to a US address) but I've never done a Canadian INAD as a seller.

When trying to save money, can you do a partner/courier return - instead of Canada Post? (In most cases, shipping is almost half the cost).

If so, is there any "rules" regarding how close the courier needs to be for the buyer to be able to do a drop off? Or can they just arrange for a home pickup? And how do you send a label to someone who may not be responding to messages about the size and weight of the package? Of course you can assume it's the same as the one sent, but a lot of buyers throw out original packaging. Then they might send in a huge box, and you're charged extra shipping after the fact.

I'd be curious to know how other sellers manage their prepaid return labels, when they don't use eBay shipping.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I've never had a domestic return so never faced the situation, I would probably just use Canada Post.

In any event I would never use a service that required the buyer to do anything but slap a label on a package an d at most drop it off at a post office.

If I was using a private carrier I would be arranging pick-up from the buyers location.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I think that you can go to Canada Post, buy a specific 'return label' and then give a code to the buyer so that they can print it.  Disclaimer, I haven't actually tried this but I'm sure that someone here mentioned doing that.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You can actually set it up through Canada Post so that you just give the buyer a link. They put in the package details and it gives them a label (or code if they prefer) and charges you. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure you get charged counter rates with no discounts. I haven't had to use it since I've set it up, so I'm not positive.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply