Shipping Within Canada via Signature Confirmation

Please let me know if I have this right.   I ship so rarely within Canada that I never remember from shipment to shipment.

I have to ship an expensive item within Canada and require a signature.

It looks like I can pay extra for a signature if I ship via Xpresspost, Expedited, and Regular Parcel mail, and that it is free with Priority and not available for Flat Rate Boxes.

Did I get it right?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@sylviebee 

I believe current price for signature is 1.75. 9.50 for a registered letter. That was correct. Priority it is included and extra for regular or expedited. Specifics in link attached.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/compare-services-canada.page

-Lotz

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

If the value of an item is over $200,  with Expedited parcel,  signature required is automatically added to the cost of postage.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The signature option is automatically added on only if are insuring the package for $200 plus through Canada Post. If you are using a third party insurance company I doubt that a signature would be automatic.  The same is true for regular parcel and xpresspost too.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

It looks like I can pay extra for a signature if I ship via Xpresspost, Expedited, and Regular Parcel mail, and that it is free with Priority and not available for Flat Rate Boxes.

Did I get it right?

Yes.

Square means you can add for freeSquare means you can add for free

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I use Shippo but it looks like I might be better off using the PO website to buy this label.  (Don't like the extra work though.)

It looks like could ship via Expedited and insure for up to $5,000 and get the signature option added on at no added cost.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The signature option costs $1.75 whether you insure through Canada Post or another company.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thanks.  So it looks like the difference then is that with CPO you can insure up to $5,000 but Shippo (via Shipsurance) only allows up to $1000.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I use Shippo but it looks like I might be better off using the PO website to buy this label.  (Don't like the extra work though.)

It looks like could ship via Expedited and insure for up to $5,000 and get the signature option added on at no added cost.

Insurance through Shippo above the included $100 is through a third party insurance company, not through Canada Post.

Canada Post website, insurance is from them and signature is required for insurance over $100.  Signature is added automatically and charged for Expedited when you insure for $200 plus.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Nice sale!

But keep in mind that insurance is only useful if something goes terribly wrong. It will not (usually) cover breakage if the shipper decides the problem was your packaging nor will it help with Not As Described dispute if the buyer claims you sent a brick instead of a Faberge egg.

It doesn't move anything faster. It doesn't mean gentler handling.

Unless your item actually sold for $5000 you would have a hard time collecting more than what it did sell for.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank  You.  Yes, I always have mixed feelings on how to deal with the insurance issue.   Any time I've had to collect I've had to wonder if it's worth the effort because they never make it easy.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply