Shipping to India expanded by Canada Post

Announcement from Canada Post. Who among us regularly ships to India? Is it an expanding market?

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2017/02/17/canada_post_hos...

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Meetings were conducted in Ottawa and Toronto to discuss further enhancing the long-standing working relationship between the two globally important national postal services.

What a ridiculous piece of puffery! Canada Post is "globally important"?

Must have been a very slow news day for Ms Steiner when she reprints relatively pointless press releases.

Is it an expanding market?

Absolutely but I would think that most of the ecommerce traffic will be coming from India to Canada rather than the other way. I'm sure there will be many Indian expats who will be pleased that they can get packages there a few days faster for more than a few Dollars more.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Announcement from Canada Post. Who among us regularly ships to India? Is it an expanding market?

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/blogs/announcements/details.page?article=2017/02/17/canada_post_hos...

Never shipped there.

Definitely an expanding market -- but eBay is not positioned very well for it. One reason is PayPal in India is heavily restricted (since 2010) -- making eBay purchases difficult for someone living in India.

According to the census over a million Canadians have roots in the India region.

-..-

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Actually eBay is quite well established in India (since 2004), they were years ahead of Amazon.

eBay also has it's own payment system in India, PaisaPay, they don't need PayPal there. Who knows, a variant of PaisaPay may become the "replacement" for PayPal Come 2022 and eBay's obligations to PayPal end.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Is PaisaPay available outside of India?

Is it integrated with Paypal, particularly now that PP and eBay have separated?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

PaisaPay is a domestic payment service. Sellers on eBay.in that want to sell Internationally need to use PayPal at this time. Buyers in India that want to purchase from International sellers also use PayPal.

PaisaPay like PayPal allows buyers without credit cards or banking facilities to send and receive payments online. In India that represents hundreds of Millions of people.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@recped wrote:

PaisaPay is a domestic payment service. Sellers on eBay.in that want to sell Internationally need to use PayPal at this time. Buyers in India that want to purchase from International sellers also use PayPal.

Persons in India can use PayPal to sell internationally.

They can not use paypal to buy internationally. The work around is they have a friend or relative outside India and use their paypal account.

-..-

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@recped wrote:

They can not use paypal to buy internationally. The work around is they have a friend or relative outside India and use their paypal account.

-..-

That may have been true at one time but it's not true today.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside

Perhaps you are confusing India with Turkey where PayPal was tossed out of the country.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@recped wrote:

-..-

That may have been true at one time but it's not true today.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-country-functionality-outside

Perhaps you are confusing India with Turkey where PayPal was tossed out of the country.

No I am not. They may not pay with a paypal balance. Only internationally enabled credit/debit cards from certain Indian banks paying through paypal can be used.  A paypal balance can only be used if the account is based outside India (hence friend or relative).

https://www.isaumya.com/shopping-paypal-india-issues-explained/

-..-

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Very few buyers unless they are also active sellers maintain a PayPal balance. That (undated) article clearly states that you can use certain credit/debit cards. a second linked article includes a list of a dozen banks that offer cards that can be used with PayPal.

In any event India, like China will be mostly be an exporting country not an importer. Many Indian consumers that want goods from the west will most likely buy from domestic sellers who have imported the goods into India for local sale to consumers.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply