Shipping

Hi I was Just Wondering If Yous Do Tracking to the Usa Or Do You Use NonTracked i sell clothes and i get asked how much for shipping i tell them for tracked and never hear from them again just wondering is it worth the risk my feedback is all ways very fast shipping  so this is why im asking do other canadian sellers use Non Tracked ....OUR Shipping prices is killing my sales  

Thanks In Advance 

and if yous use non tracked how long does it take for them to get the package and do yous get many did not receive Claims

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Shipping

Some people use tracking all the time, some unless use if they have to.....for me it depends on the value of the item and the shipping location.

If an item is inexpensive (you have to decide yourself what is inexpensive to you) and if I can package it so that it is less than 2cm thick and it is 500grams or less, I will send it lettermail within Canada.  Anything else thicker than 2 cm has to be sent with a tracked method as there is no non tracked service within Canada.

To the US, it depends on the value of the item. I rarely ship anything over 1kg so I use either tracked packet or small packet.  To the rest of the world, I generally use small packet though in some cases I will use tracked packet if that country has that service.

You should be able to ship your ties lettermail within Canada, it would less expensive and perhaps even some of your tshirts.  However, are not supposed to send merchandise with lettermail outside of Canada.

I noticed that you state that you are using international air to the US. There is no such service to the US...any Canada Post service to the US has the words USA...for example small packet USA.

If it is a service that ships to a location outside of the US or Canada, the service will have the words international in it such as tracked packet international.  In at least a couple of your listings you are charging the same price to the US and to the rest of the world but in reality it is not going to cost the same to send to the US as to send to the UK.  Note that not all overseas countries have the same service. For example, the UK may have tracked packet, but another country such as China may not.

I don't get a lot of inr's. I think that if you communicate with a buyer when you ship the item and give them a realistic estimated delivery time, they tend to be a bit more patient. 

There is a ton more to say about shipping but I'll stop here for now.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Shipping

Some people use tracking all the time, some unless use if they have to.....for me it depends on the value of the item and the shipping location.

If an item is inexpensive (you have to decide yourself what is inexpensive to you) and if I can package it so that it is less than 2cm thick and it is 500grams or less, I will send it lettermail within Canada.  Anything else thicker than 2 cm has to be sent with a tracked method as there is no non tracked service within Canada.

To the US, it depends on the value of the item. I rarely ship anything over 1kg so I use either tracked packet or small packet.  To the rest of the world, I generally use small packet though in some cases I will use tracked packet if that country has that service.

You should be able to ship your ties lettermail within Canada, it would less expensive and perhaps even some of your tshirts.  However, are not supposed to send merchandise with lettermail outside of Canada.

I noticed that you state that you are using international air to the US. There is no such service to the US...any Canada Post service to the US has the words USA...for example small packet USA.

If it is a service that ships to a location outside of the US or Canada, the service will have the words international in it such as tracked packet international.  In at least a couple of your listings you are charging the same price to the US and to the rest of the world but in reality it is not going to cost the same to send to the US as to send to the UK.  Note that not all overseas countries have the same service. For example, the UK may have tracked packet, but another country such as China may not.

I don't get a lot of inr's. I think that if you communicate with a buyer when you ship the item and give them a realistic estimated delivery time, they tend to be a bit more patient. 

There is a ton more to say about shipping but I'll stop here for now.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Shipping

With only one or two exceptions*, everything you sell will have to go by parcel rates.

And most parcel services are tracked.

The exception is Small Packet Air- and the difference can be under 10% savings.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Remember that if you buy through SnapShip(Canada Post) or Shippo (eBay) you will have discounts of 5% or more off counter prices.

Play with the Canada Post site for a while to see the differences in cost.

Keep an eye on Shipping posts especially those by ypdc_dennis, who has been keeping us all abreast of the current best deals on shipping.

Because Parcel rates also differ by distance as well as by weight and dimensions, using Calculated Shipping is your best bet. To my mind, it has the advantage of looking 'official'. Smoke and mirrors.

BTW on your items that are below $20, it looks as if you only have shipping prices available to Canada. Your customers have to contact you for price-- which they won't. This is a known glitch and there are discussions about it on the Seller Board.

And can I tell you the Good News about Cookie Jar Insurance?Blessed-Canister-Small-root-1MJB4229_MJB4229_1470_1.jpg_Source_Image.jpg

This is just self-insurance.

Basically you add a small amount, rarely more than a dime, to every asking price as a self-insurance premium and toss it in a virtual Cookie Jar.

If a problem arises, you use the money in the Cookie Jar to cover your costs, which could be refunds, return postage, higher than quoted postage, damage in shipping, more things than postal insurance covers.

*Under 500 gr and under 2cm thick.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Shipping

and if yous use non tracked how long does it take for them to get the package and do yous get many did not receive Claims

The delivery time for tracked and untracked is about the same, unless you upgrade to the premium services like Priority Post or ExpressPost.

Such claims are rare, but it does vary by category. You will have more Claims on sneakers than on kitchen stuff.

WalMart says it has a 'shrinkage' rate (which includes shoptheft) of 1% of gross. Most sellers who have actually kept track are no higher and usually lower.

BTW-- the plural of 'you' is still 'you'. In some dialects 'youse' is used, but it is still both singular and plural. English is a strange hybrid language.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Shipping

Thanks So Much so it USA Small Package  not US Air  I did Change Those Listings For The USA and UK  .....i Had Some PROBLEMS  with Packages Without Tracking  Scammers So Frustrating 

Thanks So Much 

Have A Nice Day 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply