Should I under-declare?

Hi,

I'm seeking some advice from all you good people out here... I just sold an item, a used laser device for thinning hair, just a tad over 300 bucks USD... I've read in previous threads that anything under 200 USD (shipping from Canada to USA) is not taxable/no border fees BUT I've also read that very RARELY is anything taxed over that amount when shipping to USA.. I of course don't want my buyer to pay anything extra on the border but at the same time if I under-declare, any potential shipping claims might leave me in the red... Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Should I under-declare?

@sivle2000 wrote:

Hi,

I'm seeking some advice from all you good people out here... I just sold an item, a used laser device for thinning hair, just a tad over 300 bucks USD... I've read in previous threads that anything under 200 USD (shipping from Canada to USA) is not taxable/no border fees BUT I've also read that very RARELY is anything taxed over that amount when shipping to USA.. I of course don't want my buyer to pay anything extra on the border but at the same time if I under-declare, any potential shipping claims might leave me in the red... Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Import threshold for items imported by mail to the USA was changed to $800 USD a couple of years ago (Actually March 10 2016). No longer $200 USD.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Should I under-declare?

Here is the announcement on U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site from March 2016.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/de-minimis-value-increases-800

De Minimis Value Increases to $800
Release Date: March 11, 2016

WASHINGTON — As agreed in the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015, signed by President Barack Obama Feb. 24, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced that March 10, it raised the value of a shipment of merchandise imported by one person on one day that generally may be imported free of duties and taxes from $200 to $800. This raising of the de minimis exemption is due to an amendment of the Tariff Act of 1930 included in the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015.

Shipments valued at $800 or less for the de minimis exemption will be eligible under the same processes and with the same restrictions that currently apply to de minimis shipments of $200 or less.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Should I under-declare?

It is not a good idea to declare any value but the selling price for a shipment.

Our US friends have a very high duty free level ($800 US / nearly $1000Cdn), so you need have no worries there.

And state taxes are not collected by the USPS.

More important, when you ship pay the $1,50 or so for Signature Confirmation of Delivery.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Should I under-declare?

WOW, that's great news, thank you everybody! 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Should I under-declare?

@pocomocomputing wrote:

Here is the announcement on U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site from March 2016.

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/de-minimis-value-increases-800

De Minimis Value Increases to $800
Release Date: March 11, 2016

WASHINGTON — As agreed in the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015, signed by President Barack Obama Feb. 24, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) announced that March 10, it raised the value of a shipment of merchandise imported by one person on one day that generally may be imported free of duties and taxes from $200 to $800. This raising of the de minimis exemption is due to an amendment of the Tariff Act of 1930 included in the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015.

Shipments valued at $800 or less for the de minimis exemption will be eligible under the same processes and with the same restrictions that currently apply to de minimis shipments of $200 or less.

Thanks so much for posting this!  I appreciate it because I was unable to find the source cite when the de minimus was first changed to $800.  I'm assuming that the text I've placed in bold above means that Obama signed an actual Act of Congress, and not a Presidential executive order, meaning that -- thank goodness -- Trump the chump can't simply sign it away again.  At least that's my hope, and since I don't have time to check through the statutes passed in the 2015 U.S. Congress right now, I'll have to just hold onto that hope.  :-0

The reason I was happy to see the de minimus raised so generously was that I sell quite a number of items to the U.S. valued at well over the old ceiling.  This makes it so much nicer for my U.S. customers (and easier for me, being able to declare full value without being worried about what my customers will have to pay at their end). 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply