Small packet to the USA "tracking" - is this a thing?

Hi All, I thought I had read something on here about there being a trick to using the "tracking" number off of small packets and that the ebay system would be able to read them and they would be tracked even though they aren't officially - but now I can't find the post and I recently sent a small packet to the States and tracking is not showing.

The eBay system let me enter the number but is showing no movement after that. I normally send through Paypal shipping with UPS but in this case it was going to Hawaii and the UPS price was nuts - even the Canada Post price with tracking was more then what I had charged for flat shipping so I thought I would try the small packet route and hope that I had remembered right about what I thought I read...

I'm thinking I read wrong and I'm out of luck - the buyer contacted me today and asked me if I had put the tracking number in wrong because it wasn't showing any movement. I am taking that to mean they haven't received it yet - I sent it on the 17th so I'm not overly worried especially these days. Of course the problem is now even if/when they do get it, if they are dishonest they will know that no tracking = winning a claim for non-receipt...

Sorry for the ramble, I'm just annoyed with myself - I should have spent the extra money for actual real shipping. Lesson learned.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

It is hit and miss if the small packet usa number will track or not. It depends on when and where USPS scans the package. It has not been working very well lately but it is helpful when it does. It usually does not show in eBay for quite a few days, usually when scanned at at US international hub

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

If you gave the buyer the number and she is able to see it on the eBay or USPS site, you have at least proof of shipping.

This won't do any good with a Dispute of course, unless by some chance the USPS does happen to accidentally record the delivery, but it is enough to soothe most nervous customers.

What is the last estimated date for delivery that eBay gave your customer? Reminding her of that might help and she can't open a Dispute before then anyway.

There is a barcode and a number on the Small Packet. Most US customers will assume that is tracking. Don't try to change her mind about that. Schtum.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

If you gave the buyer the number and she is able to see it on the eBay or USPS site, you have at least proof of shipping.

Small Packet USA will never show on the USPS website since it is "untracked"  -- it will only shows on the eBay site since any scans by the USPS are passed along.

I only add the scan code to eBay if the buyer contacts me about the sale.

Main reason:  If it does show, there is a huge gap between when you mailed and the first scan, since only scans by USPS are available on eBay (none from Canada Post) -- this makes you look like a really slow shipper.

I do get package scan receipts when I drop off at my postal outlet. I also keep the PDF files that I get when buying labels online (I rename the files so I can find the one I want if needed).  If the package is over 1kg I usually upgrade to tracked packet since the cost difference (with online discount) is fairly small.

I have also been known to use a black marker to carefully cover the "no" in "no delivery scan" ....

small-packet-usa.png

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I have used the tracking number on small packets quite a few times in the last year.  But I only give the tracking number out if the buyer hasn't received their parcel & asks for it.  It has stopped some dishonest buyers from making a claim.  I find a lot of buyers assume the item is tracked when they see the bar code.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

I have also been known to use a black marker to carefully cover the "no" in "no delivery scan" 

Sneaky and smart.  I like that! 😀

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I only add the scan code to eBay if the buyer contacts me about the sale.

Did it ever fail to show the tracking information when you add the scan code to ebay? 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@lud-4367 wrote:

Did it ever fail to show the tracking information when you add the scan code to ebay? 

As mentioned from the first reply, it's a hit-or-miss. I find that I get tracking info in about 50-70% of my sale. Some never show delivered even after my buyers have left feedback that they have received the item. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

@lud-4367 wrote:

As mentioned from the first reply, it's a hit-or-miss. I find that I get tracking info in about 50-70% of my sale. Some never show delivered even after my buyers have left feedback that they have received the item. 

Currently sitting at 19 of 23 for the last 3 months. 82.61 % so basically 4 out of 5. Better that being hit with wet noodles. Mine are Richmond and down to LAX/SF.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

I know that. The confusing part was that even though the tracking information can't be working sometimes, you still provide the scan codes by buyer's requests. It sounds like a gamble, but I also wonder, If buyers say, "Hey, I didn't get the item and the tracking information shows nothing." What would you answer to them? The same question goes to you @lotzofuniquegoodies 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@lud-4367 wrote:

I know that. The confusing part was that even though the tracking information can't be working sometimes, you still provide the scan codes by buyer's requests. It sounds like a gamble, but I also wonder, If buyers say, "Hey, I didn't get the item and the tracking information shows nothing." What would you answer to them? The same question goes to you @lotzofuniquegoodies 

I create my postage with Shippo. Anything considered a real tracked service as soon as I create a label the tracking number gets ported to eBay along with the service. (Canadapost). Anything non tracked it has to be filled in manually which i do minutes after I process.  Small Pkt air or anything letter. This lets the buyer/eBay know there purchase was shipped and the date. If you update ebay later it thinks it was not shipped til later. Same thing happens if you modify the tracking number days later.Anything processed on the weekend gets dropped off on Monday. The UR tracking thing is not perfect but it's the best we currently have so I make use of it.

-Lotz

PS. If the customer asks or is concerned with the details they are seeing I let them know that it is NOT a guaranteed tracked service. If they do get scanned, in my situation it won't be until it is processed at either LAX or SF.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

It used to work very well but not so since Covid...I suspect USPS not scanning all packages coming from custom. Do not forget to enter manually the UR number under the barcode into the tracking number by the item sold. I still do it as proof of shipment for my US and International customer.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Last shipment I used Small Packet USA did track via eBay, but the UR tracking number wouldn't track from any other public tracking system. So, I often use a mailing company called Chitchats for USA bound shipments. They will ship your item via USPS and you get a REAL working USPS tracking number, plus insurance.  They have daily deliveries that go across the border and they clear customs and drop your package off (along with thousands of others using the service) at a USPS depot near the border. For small items under 1 pound (454g) it is a usually less than the cost of Canada Post Small Packet USA or Tracked USA .  They have outlets around GTA (Ontario) and areas of BC where you can drop off your packages once you setup an account.  I don't know if it is allowed to post a link here (so I won't just in case) , but I do have a referreral link that will give you $5.00 credit for buying postage when you sign up.  If you have a chitchats in your area, its worth trying out.  

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@escstuff wrote:

Last shipment I used Small Packet USA did track via eBay, but the UR tracking number wouldn't track from any other public tracking system. So, I often use a mailing company called Chitchats for USA bound shipments. They will ship your item via USPS and you get a REAL working USPS tracking number, plus insurance.  They have daily deliveries that go across the border and they clear customs and drop your package off (along with thousands of others using the service) at a USPS depot near the border. For small items under 1 pound (454g) it is a usually less than the cost of Canada Post Small Packet USA or Tracked USA .  They have outlets around GTA (Ontario) and areas of BC where you can drop off your packages once you setup an account.  I don't know if it is allowed to post a link here (so I won't just in case) , but I do have a referreral link that will give you $5.00 credit for buying postage when you sign up.  If you have a chitchats in your area, its worth trying out.  

The UR number when inputted after creating label will only show up on eBay's tracking system. Not CP/USPS. It does show up in the Scandanavian, Greece, Spain and random E. European postal systems. Unfortunately a no for UK, majority of Europe and have not been able to test for AU/NZ.

From my understanding eBay labels posts a transaction ID vs UR number to tracking field. That field is non updatable from several reports. Intl postal website below. Small Packet Air routinely arrives to USA from my experience in 10 business days. Internationally 2 to 4 weeks. Results may vary if dealing with Chicago.

https://www.upu.int/en/Universal-Postal-Union/About-UPU/Member-Countries

-Lotz

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Having the (non-tracking) number may mollify nervous Americans, who are passionate about tracking, without realizing it is a Seller Protection.

It may also discourage sketchey buyers who may think the (nontracking) number means that a phoney Not Received dispute will fail.

But remember that if you are faced with a Not Received dispute, real or fake, the (nontracking) number will not be any protection.

Still the first two reasons for using it are good reasons for uploading it to your Orders page.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

I once admittd to a buyer there was no tracking and it did turnout for the best. so i say dont stress. youll know when you know. I find the best method to thwart scammersis by being careful to pre screen buyers prior to conducting my business, it helps me choose which ebayers I will or wont ship to, at least with out tracking. I know it is hard to get sales with the expensive tracking to the states. 99.9% of the time i find no issues, so its been working well for me. its actually one of the better decisions I made. i calm it selective tracking. lol. and i employ the cookie jar idea to cover those ones.
Message 16 of 16
latest reply