Sometimes eBay's glitches make me want to cry...

Earlier today (this morning) we opened up an unpaid item case against a customer for a lot of items that they won and had not paid for.  The address that we invoiced them too was in Germany, they are registered in Switzerland.   

We assumed that they were planning on backing out due to the high shipping costs (in their case, about $70 tracked packet).    These things happen sadly all the time, we generally don't wait to open a case if there's no communication.  

Buyer made payment two hours ago, and sent a message saying that address was wrong and that they wanted it shipped to somewhere in Florida after all, and that could we please refund them the shipping difference.  

Well, no, we explain, we're going to need to cancel the order and process your refund.  When we re-post the item, you can re-purchase it and select the correct address during checkout.  

It's been over 2 hours and when we try to cancel the order we keep getting an error saying that we cannot cancel because there's a case open on the item.  Very frustrating, as the case was closed when the buyer made payment.  Their payment is in our PayPal and marked as awaiting shipment in our sold.  

We're going to keep trying, as this must just be a glitch, or does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on or have you experienced this sort of issue before?  

screenshot1.png

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Welcome to the wonderful world of eBay. Nothing works anymore like it is supposed to. But we will continue to charge you high fees for the privilege of using us. Sellers have no rights anymore but remember the buyer is always right no matter what. And we will do everything in our power to please them.

This is my form of sarcasm!!!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

We found another way of trying to cancel the transaction through the Online Customer Service portal that normally sends one in unhelpful loops.  Here's another confirmation that the unpaid item case doesn't appear to be registering on eBay's end.  If nothing changes by tomorrow we'll need to get someone to call them.   Whhhaaaaaahhhh 😞

We needed to blur out some details as this is on our other seller account.We needed to blur out some details as this is on our other seller account.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Correction: Meant to say another indication that the unpaid item case being closed because the buyer made payment is not being registered on eBay's end.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Yes.

We have a choice of Cancellation (usually a polite acknowledgement that the transaction is not going to happen)OR an Unpaid Item Dispute (usually some deadbeat being Richardish).

• You can end the UID without being paid.
  • The customer can pay and end the UID.
  • The customer can refuse to pay and you escalate and give him a Strike.

I agree that the change of address is unacceptable at this point.

Using a freight forwarder (which is what the FL address probably is, check Google Maps to see the building.) is usually a  Good Thing, since the seller's responsibilities basically end at the forwarder's doorstep.

But the customer has paid the full amount.

Tell him that you are unable to change the address at this point, and that you will be shipping to the only address Paypal will allow you to print a label for-- his German address.

(You might want to Google that too. If only for giggles.)

You might want to upgrade to Signature Confirmation if it is available.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Agreed completely femme. But why are we not able to cancel the transaction with the reason being that there's a problem with the buyers address? Just because the buyer has paid doesn't mean that we can't cancel. At least normally.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You can.

But it's either/or.

Once you opened the UID the cancellation possibility disappears.

I guess because the tone of the transaction changes.

As mentioned a cancellation is basically friendly.

A UID is angry.

You could phone Customer Service, but that's the policy we work with.

The original contract was that he paid for delivery to Germany and since that is what is on the PP payment, and that's what he paid for, that's where you ship.

Technically, you could change the address you ship to, even with a shipping label, but it would be a Bad Idea. No need to tell him that.

Which is unfortunate in this case, because you would be better protected as a seller when you ship to a professional forwarder (as opposed to a cousin in Florida).

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for clarifying.  

We were aware that once a UPI was opened that we wouldn't be able to cancel the order but when we got the email saying that the case was closed, we assumed that we could go ahead.  Now we know otherwise.  

We've shipped the item out to address in Germany and the buyer has yet to get back to us so we'll see how unhappy they are about it when the time comes.  

Thanks again, have a great weekend! 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

As Femme mentioned and as you figured out, you can open an unpaid item or cancel a transaction but you can’t do both even if the unpaid item case is closed.  

It might have been better for you to wait to hear back from the buyer rather than mail to an address that they don’t want the package sent to but I hope that it all works out.  🙂

Message 9 of 9
latest reply