Spring Update: More bad news for Cdn Sellers

I wanted to post my comments from another thread here, because they will apply to any seller who has, or is hoping to get, US TRS+ status.  Keep in mind that this is the standing that is particular to the US site and US sales.  It doesn't apply to Global TRS, which is much easier (so far at least) for Canadian sellers to achieve. 

The question of how eBay was going to validate (or not) tracking numbers -- and more importantly when they were going to have this in place for Cdn sellers -- wasn't mentioned by Raphael the other day when the subject was first brought up, and I think it's absolutely critical. 

There is going to be a "dead zone" for Canadian sellers who might want to get (or maintain) US TRS+ until eBay gets their act in gear.  Why they couldn't have set up the validation process first, and then introduced the change to the US TRS+, I can't understand.  Cart before the horse, as usual.  I can only hope that at least this may mean they'll give us a free pass to continue on as before until the proper validation software is in place.  Or maybe not?

Read all the details in this link: http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/springupdate2014/sellerstandards.html#howvalidate

but I've copied the most worrisome points underneath:

Well, I just read the "fine print", and as usual, the devil's in the details.  Here for example:

As a Top Rated Seller, will I have better placement for my listings in Best Match search results as a result of these updates?

Best Match will take the defect rate into account. In general, the lower your defect rate, the better your position in Best Match search results. With the confidence-inspiring extended holiday return policy, your position and sales can be further enhanced. Remember that many factors go into determining the Best Match sort order for search results including the relevance of your listing to the buyer's search and the price of your item.

So, really, no guarantee that all that cost (for tracking), at least where Canadians are concerned, will necessarily result in enhanced positioning.  I'd call these weasel-words. 

And here:

How will eBay validate tracking numbers?

When you upload a tracking number to My eBay, eBay will automatically check for carrier scan information indicating that the item is either on its way or delivered. Today, only tracking numbers from USPS, UPS, FedEx and DHL Global Express will be validated with scan information. We are expecting to launch validation support for Canada Post tracking numbers later this year.

(I've put those words in bold)  This means, obviously, there is going to be a (big) gap for Canadian sellers.  Uh-oh.  Judging by how long it took them to sort out the Paypal debacle last year, now I know I'm probably going to lose my TRS+ no matter what I do, until this gets sorted out.

And one more little not-so-comforting detail:

How will I know if my tracking on a transaction was invalid?

Starting the week of April 16, you'll be able to see the percentage of your transactions that did not meet the valid tracking requirement in your seller dashboard preview. Then, starting the week of August 20, you'll be able to see the percentage and you'll also be able to create a report to see which transactions did not meet the requirement. 

Well, at least they'll start telling us what we don't want to hear first!   

Basically what all of this means is that Canadian sellers are going to be out of luck where the US TRS+ is concerned, for quite some time.  Sad but true.  As if we needed another disadvantage. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

This means, obviously, there is going to be a (big) gap for Canadian sellers. 

Isn't there the small possibility that things will stay as they are until they are able to validate? There may be some sellers who sell larger and/or expensive items and who may use tracking most of the time.Those sellers shouldn't lose their TRS because ebay doesn't have the means to validate Canada Post tracking.

But then...maybe it isn't possible for them to keep the status quo until then..I don't know.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Even though many Canadian sellers  do not qualify for TRS plus.... We do have standing on eBay.com as a TRS.

As a TRS one does get some measure of a boost in standing  in search on eBay.com.

This has been the situation  and will continue in the future...

This was a recognition that Canadian sellers are unable to provide tracking at a level that would allow us to achieve 90 % tracking.

The best that I have been able to achieve with uploaded tracking is 70 %, well short of the 90 %.  This has been achieved with the use of Tracked Packet USA and Expedited Parcel USA as the tracked options for shipping to the US.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Isn't there the small possibility that things will stay as they are until they are able to validate? There may be some sellers who sell larger and/or expensive items and who may use tracking most of the time.Those sellers shouldn't lose their TRS because ebay doesn't have the means to validate Canada Post tracking.

But then...maybe it isn't possible for them to keep the status quo until then..I don't know.

Yes, as I mentioned above, I wondered whether or not we may be given a bit of a grace period while they put the validation process in effect.  This is one question I would love to have answered, because I've worked very hard to get and retain my US TRS+.

To 'cumos' -- this is interesting.  I had never heard that having Global TRS would affect placement on eBay.com in any significant way.  If it does, then paying for tracking 90% of the time to the U.S. isn't worth it to me.  Over 95% of my sales are to the U.S., so the issue of visibility and placement on .com is a serious consideration for me. 

I wonder if there's any remote possibility of getting eBay to allow us Canadian sellers to meet a lower standard of tracking -- say 70%?  That I could handle!

Oh, I get tired trying to imagine what eBay wants next.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

We cannot get the equal of a TRS plus... mainly because of the inability to achieve 90 % tracking if tracking options are not used.

We cannot be the equal of a US seller that does meet all of the requirements for TRS plus.

As a TRS we are close, and do get somewhat of a boost in search on eBay.com.

In 2013  my US and international sales were at 20 % of sales.....

That percentage is up since January 1, 2014  and is closer to 30 %

Buyers appeared to have adjusted to my use of Tracked Packet,  and the cost of this Canada Post option.  I have always used Expedited Parcel USA.

Tracked Packet USA works... perhaps because of its being airmail  and results in fast shipping.....

I also suspected buyers do like tracked options....  plus my listing heavily in one category... Canadian History

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I saw the "policy changes" and I feel a rant coming on....lol

All this Legalese, rules, standards etc. makes my frickin' head SPIN! This is just more greed on ebay's part, I’m sorry to have to say that but if they are going to make an issue about fractions of percentages of POSSIBLE losses in sales or non-returning customers then they are in the wrong business. These policies are a tool to weed out small sellers who don’t make enough money FOR THEM!

It's insane because 75% of the merchandise are 2nd and 3rd hand items! It was bad enough when they felt justified in charging 10% on shipping as well-a service they have no business with as that is a third party service!!! That totally boiled my blood-another ploy to get us to offer free shipping which forces us to up our prices to cover the shipping cost, for which they take 10 percent of so basically they get us coming or going, no escape! I suppose it’s also because Canada Post and USPS can’t afford to give kickbacks to Ebay…Hubris run amok.

Look,  Ebay started as a Digital Flea Market, really, that is what is was! All Ebay ever was supposed to be is the figurative "land owner" that let everyone set up their "tables & tents" at the Flea Market-for a price of course. And like a flea market, you buy "as is" and "you get what you pay for". This garbage about imposing standards and extended Christmas returns yadda yadda yadda these things are the domain of Retailers of specific goods that are quality controlled and offered as new: Ebay, you are the world’s biggest Garage Sale, not Nordstroms. Stop giving yourself airs, Ebay!

Message 6 of 6
latest reply