Time to list in Canadian Dollars.

In the "good old days" eBay.ca has always recommended listing in US$ instead of Cdn$ on the basis that Canadian sellers would have more chance of success listing in US$.

Times are changing.

Today, during the Weekly Board Hour, eBay.ca advises:

"In a nutshell, according to our analysis, all Canadian sellers would either see a positive or neutral impact on their sales if they start listing in CAD. Essentially, our old data that suggested better sales for USD listings has been disproved. The SYI will be modified shortly to reflect this reality, and we've made the changes to the quick listing tool last week.

Additionally, we've started engaging with large Canadian merchants to recommend that they also list in CAD if possible."

Message 1 of 151
latest reply
150 REPLIES 150

@pierrelebel wrote:

"There is no way this change will bring more revenue to Ebay Canada.."

eBay-Canada is owned 100% by eBay Inc.  Changes made in any of the twenty eBay international sites have one goal: make more money eventually for eBay Inc.

This change may eventually result in more profits for eBay Inc as expenses to run the Canadian site (eBay.ca) are cut down when operating as a single currency site like all other eBay sites worldwide.

The business model is a software driven one and not employee driven (Ebay Canada has literally a handful of employees). The development costs of handling multiple currencies are minimal and wouldn't pose any significant savings.  As far as margin, the individual Ebay subs are expected to hold their own....Using your argument there would not likely be any cost savings associated with the change. Nor did Ebay Canada use that as an argument in making the change.

'...she has a profit sharing arrangement with Ebay.com, "

???   Like all other eBay-Canada employees, Ms Stairs is an employee, paid a salary.  Her job is to bring more Canadians to trade (buy or sell) on eBay.  It does not matter to her and her co-workers if Canadians buy or sell on eBay.ca, eBay.com, eBay.uk or other eBay sites.  Their responsibilities and goals are simply that Canadians trade on eBay instead of other platforms.

I would beg to differ for the reasons I mentioned above. Each Ebay sub is expected to turn numbers individually.

"Lastly, many people who operate on Ebay in a buying and selling capacity, will want USD at their disposal without converting it."

That is correct and Canadian sellers maintain the availability to list and sell in whatever currency they want. They can determine the "billing currency" and payment method (credit card, PayPal, etc...) that fit their needs.  That ability has not really changed with the new policy making eBay-Canada a single currency site like all other eBay sites.

Everything you say is correct. However one now has to manage both sites individually (as opposed to it being relatively seem-less)  which for many sellers is an issues of time. No you can't manage ALL aspects of your listing from the .ca site. Lastly, if want the same tools like SMP on the US site, you will have to pay for it (at least for now). 

Canadians will adapt to the change, they always do.  The sky is not falling.

Maybe not...But the disregard for the sellers and being completely oblivious to their needs continues....

See above....

Message 121 of 151
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

"There is no way this change will bring more revenue to Ebay Canada.."

eBay-Canada is owned 100% by eBay Inc.  Changes made in any of the twenty eBay international sites have one goal: make more money eventually for eBay Inc.

This change may eventually result in more profits for eBay Inc as expenses to run the Canadian site (eBay.ca) are cut down when operating as a single currency site like all other eBay sites worldwide.

'...she has a profit sharing arrangement with Ebay.com, "

???   Like all other eBay-Canada employees, Ms Stairs is an employee, paid a salary.  Her job is to bring more Canadians to trade (buy or sell) on eBay.  It does not matter to her and her co-workers if Canadians buy or sell on eBay.ca, eBay.com, eBay.uk or other eBay sites.  Their responsibilities and goals are simply that Canadians trade on eBay instead of other platforms.

"Lastly, many people who operate on Ebay in a buying and selling capacity, will want USD at their disposal without converting it."

That is correct and Canadian sellers maintain the availability to list and sell in whatever currency they want. They can determine the "billing currency" and payment method (credit card, PayPal, etc...) that fit their needs.  That ability has not really changed with the new policy making eBay-Canada a single currency site like all other eBay sites.

Canadians will adapt to the change, they always do.  The sky is not falling.

To some, it is perpetually falling. It boggles me how some people can see nothing but the negative in anything and everything.

Too many view change as static events. Change is evolutionary. The only thing constant about change, is change itself.

You have a career at Ebay!!! Optimism and being positive is a great quality...Being led by the blind is a whole other matter....

Message 122 of 151
latest reply

Like I said.

Photobucket
Message 123 of 151
latest reply

Pierre wrote;  Like all other eBay-Canada employees, Ms Stairs is an employee, paid a salary.  Her job is to bring more Canadians to trade (buy or sell) on eBay.  It does not matter to her and her co-workers if Canadians buy or sell on eBay.ca, eBay.com, eBay.uk or other eBay sites.  Their responsibilities and goals are simply that Canadians trade on eBay instead of other platforms.

In general I agree with many of your views, but on this one , I will have to differ. Like any division of a company, they will have quotas. To say that Ebay Canada division doesn't care if .ca sellers go as long as its on ebay trade is suicide. Ebay Canada already operates in a shoebox and not in a thimble because there is still enough support for Ebay Canada to substantiate a shoe box. To simply excuse Canadian seller from .ca will only move them into that thimble and before they know it, right out of a job

If its ms Stairs job is to bring more Canadians to trade (buy or sell) on eBay, Then as the french say it " she has done a **bleep** poor job". She has done nothing to remove the negativity of what sellers feel, which I can only assume has driven off some sellers, and in the more recent currency issue, many of .ca sellers left to .com. Yes they are still with Ebay, but wonder how many.ca sellers simply packet up and closed shop.

I do think .ca time is numbered. I hope they will release how many of .ca sellers had either quit or went south. Should make for a interesting conversation.

Message 124 of 151
latest reply

"Like any division of a company, they will have quotas. "

I have personally met the last three eBay-Canada country managers.  Although I generally do not approve of the decisions made in San Jose for eBay-Canada, I understand the value of the Canadian operation here is based exclusively on the total value of trades (buyers and sellers) originating in Canada, regardless of the site where the items are listed, viewed or purchased.  Now, that is a fact.

I also understand the same applies to all other countries where eBay has a site.  eBay Inc does not care if folks buy and list/sell on international sites in local currency or on eBay.com in US$.

eBay cares about only one thing: making money.  Their income comes from fees charged to sellers - mostly if they sell their products (FVF).  Their largest incentive is that their revenues are based on the success of its sellers worldwide.  The more buyers buy and sellers sell... the more money eBay Inc makes.The corporation does not care where anyone lists or buys: it is largely irrelevant as long as revenues are generated.

'doesn't care if .ca sellers go as long as its on ebay trade is suicide."

"Suicide" ???   It is a fact.  eBay-Canada in Toronto operates on a budget assigned by eBay Inc.

Anyone who understands the mechanics of eBay would know that eBay does not make money on exchange conversion fees (that was and remains PayPal's, no longer owned by eBay). 

" has done nothing to remove the negativity of what sellers feel, "

Unfortunately, as you know, the "negativity" felt by some sellers and expressed in these threads follows policy decisions made in San Jose by senior management of eBay Inc.  The Canadian management and staff may not like many of the decisions made but, once made, their job is to execute to the best of their abilities what their masters have decided.  And most readers here who ever held a middle management job in a large company know exactly how it works: you hold your nose, get back to work, and collect your pay cheque.

" I hope they will release how many of .ca sellers had either quit or went south"

That type of information is never revealed.  Not by eBay or any other public company.  It is nobody's business but its own.  That information is of no value to buyers or sellers transacting on eBay.

Message 125 of 151
latest reply

Have not read all the post but did anyone mention that Ebay inc owns paypal they will make millions on the currency exchange fees alone

Message 126 of 151
latest reply

@4216pete wrote:

Have not read all the post but did anyone mention that Ebay inc owns paypal they will make millions on the currency exchange fees alone

Wrong! eBay and PayPal split up last July 2015 and are separate companies. PayPal does make the money on exchange but eBay gets nothing from it.

Message 127 of 151
latest reply

they are separate companies, but only in a spin off, they are still owned by the same corporation, but just run apart from each other, lots of companies do it. it for transparency reasons..so each can show a profit or negative dollar value, apart  from each other..

Message 128 of 151
latest reply

I had a lot of items with SOLD like 50-80 even 150 sold 

Because of that a lot of buyers bought from me. Even my prices were a little bit higher buyer still bought from me because it's always looks nice when you see 150 sold. 

So now i have to close all those high SEO listings? Wow. VERY COOOL

Message 129 of 151
latest reply

Ebay and paypal are completely separate companies.  They have a 5 year agreement (4 left) that if ebay transactions fall below 80% paid by paypal ebay will compensate paypal, and if they are over paypal will compensate ebay.   Though the money invovled is though

"EBay and PayPal will pay one another $13 million per year for each percentage point above or below the 80% threshold that PayPal’s share of payments rises or falls, according to the filing. If PayPal’s share falls below 75%, eBay will pay at a rate of $50 million per year for each additional percentage point."

Also agreed ebay wont create its own payment system for those 5 years.  I'd suspect "ebay payments" will be coming soon after that

Message 130 of 151
latest reply

" they are still owned by the same corporation"

NO. 

eBay and PayPal are now two different public companies traded on the stock market in the USA - independent from each other, except for some working arrangements.  They have different boards of directors and management.

Message 131 of 151
latest reply

This change has definitely had a negative impact on the amount of US buyers for me. It has been reported to me from potential US customers that they had to go to the conversion chart to figure out US dollar amount. That is NOT convenient! Why did eBay make it their choice to limit our choice?
Message 132 of 151
latest reply

AGREE.
Message 133 of 151
latest reply

potential US customers that they had to go to the conversion chart to figure out US dollar amount.

If your buyer finds your listing on eBayCanada, the asking price shows in loonies.

So it seems your potential customers were here on dotCA.

If they had found you on dotCOM, they would see your listings in BOTH Canadian and US dollars.

I suggest that most of our US buyers find us on their home site, where our listings appear if we give a shipping fee for US destinations.

A few confused US members show up here from time to time asking how to get home. We usually offer them a double double and a Nanaimo Bar and give them directions.

Message 134 of 151
latest reply

I think it's time to list in CAD now because the USD will probably start to drop like crazy... 

Message 135 of 151
latest reply

If I sell in CAD will my ebay fees be charged in CAD also and then converted to USD? Because thats how i remember it being before. The fees were charged in CAD at the end of a sale, then converted to USD immediately,  and then when billed the charge was showing in paypal as USD converted to CAD then charged to my CAD bank account. That was one of the main reasons I stuck with USD after they removed it from .ca . It was a useless conversion . why didnt they just leave it in CAD to begin with? I could only assume they are making money everytime they convert. I am considering growing my business now though and thinking I will switch back to CAD because of tax purposes. If I live in Canada then i should be charged in CAD is how i feel . Also I want my statements to be monthly because I am currently recieving them from the 15 to the 15 and I cannot figure out easily what my costs are for each month and have an actual accurate printout from ebay.  why do they charge from the 15 to the 15?

any input is appreciated, especially on the fees thing. Is anyone selling in CAD dealing with any US conversions aside from the payments from USA buyers (which makes up approx 85% of my sales so I call BS on the claim that selling in CAD is better) I  just want clean books . I think I might lose sales though in doing so. Im going to try it though, Maybe!

Thaks!!

Message 136 of 151
latest reply

You are talking about 2 separate issues here.  You can set your account up to be billed in $US or $C regardless of where you list.  But the actual fvf charged is based on the currency/site the listing was on.  If you list on .com, you fees are figured out in $US.  If your account is set up to be billed in US then there is no currency conversion  as far as fees are concerned.  If you are set up to be billed and pay in Canadian funds the fvf will be converted to cdn.

To answer your question, if you  list on ca in Canadian $  AND your fees are set up to be paid in Canadian, there is no conversion required.  But if you want to continue to list on .com, you may want to set up payment in US so that there no conversion.  Note that you can only change billing currency once a year and it does take a little time to make the change completely.

Btw when they do convert the currency for fvf, I am fairly certain that there is no extra service charge. They use whatever the current rate is.

Message 137 of 151
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
... when they do convert the currency for fvf, I am fairly certain that there is no extra service charge. They use whatever the current rate is.

There is no service charge for FVF conversion. However, the exchange rate eBay uses for the conversion is the one from the time the auction/BIN was listed (or for GTC the last time relisted).  Difference is most noticeable when there has been a big change in the exchange rate.

-..-

Message 138 of 151
latest reply

eBay  control this place and dont give a rip what anyone else thinks (especially sellers) 

sick of the BS

enough already 

Message 139 of 151
latest reply

I still see sellers on ebay.ca who are based in Canada listing items in American dollars.
When I list an item on ebay.ca I am only given the option of listing in Canadian dollars. Why are some allowed to do it when others are not?
Message 140 of 151
latest reply