USPS didn't leave a delivery card

Hey everyone,

I am having an issue that I am working together with the buyer to solve but so far we have been given the runaround. So I sent the buyer a package and on the tracking it says a delivery card was left with pickup information. However, the buyer has confirmed to me he did not receive one and thus does not know where to go, he has gone to the nearest post office with tracking # and they said they do not have it and don't know how to help him locate it. I have called USPS and thus far never gotten through to a real agent, emails have gone unanswered so far as well.

This is a very frustrating experience as the item will be returned to me in 2 weeks despite the fact me and the buyer are trying all we can to get the item delivered. So I wanted to know if there was anything else we could do to locate the whereabouts of the package? and if we cannot and it is eventually returned to me, how should I proceed?if the buyer wants a refund, would I be responsible to refund the shipping as well?

Thank you for any help.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Yes you are responsible to refund the shipping and could be charged return shipping too though this is often not done.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

If you search the tracking number , It should tell you where the item is.

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/track/personal/findByTrackNumber?execution=e2s1

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

hey,

Thanks for the reply, unless I am not seeing it, all I can gather from just the tracking number is "Attempted delivery. Notice card left indicating where item can be picked up. " but there was no card left so its were in this circle, where USPS can't tell me anything without the card ..

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

try Find A Post Office on the USPS site using the buyers address, it's most likely at one of the two closest.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Rams,

I think there must be some misunderstanding. The fact that the card has been lost or was never left should make no difference. The USPS station from which the parcel was out for delivery should be shown on the USPS Track & Confirm site. Have you checked this site (it often gives more info than the Canada Post tracking site)? That USPS station should know where the parcel can be picked up.

It is very likely that another attempt to deliver the parcel will be made. If not or if unsuccessful, the parcel will be returned to you. If you can prove that the USPS was at fault, you may be able to get a refund of the postage from Canada Post.

Tom

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, so unfortunately the buyer has opened a claim for refund as the item has still not been delivered, I think that is reasonable, its been over 3 weeks now. However, I wanted to know if it was fair for me to ask the buyer to wait until USPS has indicated in the tracking that it is indeed being returned to sender? I mean I don't think the buyer is trying to scam me, but from my understanding .. if I refund them now and USPS happens to make a final attempt delivery or they find where the package is before its sent back to me, I could be out of the money and the item .. as as far as I know from the tracking info, its just sitting at a post office waiting to be picked up? I have never dealt with a situation like this, so any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

so any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Find out where the package is and get it to the buyer!

Have you actually tried to track it down? Have you contacted the local post office directly?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Rams,

Don't be too hasty in refunding the buyer. Three weeks in transit to the US from Canada is hardly unheard of. Most items are delivered in far less time but delays do occur and this, in all likelihood, is one of them. However, do reassure your customer that if the parcel is not in his hands in a week or two, you will refund him (you then hope that it will be returned to you but that's not a precondition for a refund).

You didn't answer my question, which was important. Have you checked the USPS Track & Confirm site? This should provide you with tracking info for the parcel and should tell you where the parcel was last scanned. 

I do not agree with Recped that you should contact any USPS branch. That is the responsibility of Canada Post, to whom you entrusted the parcel and whom you paid to have it delivered.

In sum, I suggest if the parcel is not in the hands of the buyer in 2 weeks time, refund the buyer in full and lodge a claim with Canada Post.

Tom

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I do not agree with Recped that you should contact any USPS branch. That is the responsibility of Canada Post

It might be their responsibility but if you can't prod them into action you need to take the matters into your own hands.

I made the suggestion because this is how US Sellers in the exact same situation have managed to resolve things when calling the central USPS customer service has not been productive.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Hey,

thanks for all the responses everyone. To answer your question, yes I have been keeping tabs on the tracking and this is a direct copy and paste of the last scan

" March 9, 2015 - NOTICE LEFT NO SECURE LOCATION AVAILABLE - AURORA, CO"

So to recap again, my buyer messaged me indicating there was no notice left, so he didn't know where to pick it up. At this point I contacted Canada Post and was told they could not help me locate the package and to contact USPS, I have called and never got through to an actual agent  (been on holds for lengthy times before giving up), emails have gone unanswered. So at this point, I told the buyer to check his local post office, which he claims he did and they don't have it and they were unable to help him locate it. He said he got through to USPS via phone as well and was told they don't know where the package is with only the tracking number, which seems absurd to me.

Where I think I will have issues is the validity of a claim, now at this point I'm assuming my buyer is being completely honest and really was told by USPS they have no idea where his package is. However, from an evidence point of view, all Canada Post will see is there was an attempted delivery and then the buyer never went to pick it up. I don't think I can prove USPS was at fault here given the evidence so I'm pretty much assuming I won't be seeing any money from Canada Post.

At this stage, I just want to make sure I get my item back, which was my logic of offering the refund when the USPS tracking updates to return to sender. While I don't think my buyer is a scammer, from my understanding if I refund it closes the transaction and in theory if he were to find out where the package was now, he could pick it up and I would be out the item and money. It doesn't seem the buyer is interested in finding the item anymore and asked for a full refund.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

UPDATE:

So I finally got through to a live agent with USPS after a very long hold time, they told me according to their records the item was located at the Almeda Parkway post office, my buyer said he went and they could not find the package, so I'm back to square one. So its pretty much either USPS lost my package or my buyer is lying. So now what are my options? should I be filing a claim with USPS or Canada Post? since I sent it via Canada Post and then they dropped it off to USPS.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

"according to their records the item was located at the Almeda Parkway post office, "

As suggested earlier by recped, take a minute or two and call that post office tomorrow. 

16890 E Alameda Pkwy, Aurora, CO 80017, United States
+1 303-227-5443

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Rams,

I am of the firm opinion that you should NOT deal with the USPS any further. You paid Canada Post good money to deliver that parcel to your customer and if anyone should investigate what happened to the parcel, it's Canada Post. Any claim you make is with Canada Post. CP assumed responsibility to deliver the parcel in good order, in a reasonable time frame.

I still feel that you should hold off giving any refund or lodging a claim. I don't know when CP accepted the parcel but if it was 3 weeks ago, give it another week and see what happens. Loss of mail is a very rare occurrence and I see no reason why your customer would not be truthful. I believe there's a very good chance the parcel will eventually be delivered to your customer. But if it's not, four weeks after acceptance by CP, by all means refund your customer and make a claim with Canada Post. You have a very solid case because the USPS admits they haven't delivered the parcel.

Tom

Message 14 of 14
latest reply