What currency does eBay.ca pay in? Can I change it?

I've updated my business account to the new managed payments months ago however I now have something personal to sell and on my personal account I was never asked if I wanted USD or CAD payments but I beleive my personal account was (unfortunately) done on ebay.ca while my business account was done on ebay.com so I assume that's why.

Can I get CAD deposits in a USD account? Even if I can it will screw up the microdeposits and I won't be able to confirm unless I get the exchange rate right on tiny amounts.

I decided to try to change it to my CAD savings account but the form specifically says it has to be a chequing account. Does this mean I can't sell on eBay.ca unless I create yet another bank account?

Is there a way to convert my .ca account to a .com account?

Thank you

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

It's not the currency, it's whether you are using a US registered bank ( like RBCBank) or a Canadian registered bank ) like the Royal Bank of Canada.

To sell on eBay we need a Canadian registered bank and a checking account.

But the account itself can be in loonies or in USD.

Stay away from micro-deposits as proof of identity. Because they are sent to your Canadian bank from a USD account, they will not match - currency exchange again.

I went with my passport. DH used his passport and/or his driver's license.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

The microdeposits is the only confirmation I could use, the bank login method said it didn't work.

I'm hoping the bank will show the original US amounts before conversion, otherwise maybe I can call my bank and they may be able to see it.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@isell999 wrote:

...I decided to try to change it to my CAD savings account but the form specifically says it has to be a chequing account. Does this mean I can't sell on eBay.ca unless I create yet another bank account?

I would recommend getting an online no fee Canadian chequing account. Some examples: tangerine.ca (owned by ScotiaBank), simplii.com (owned by CIBC).

-;-

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I already have a US chequing account for my business account, I really don't want to have yet another account, I already have more than I'd want.

Another reply said a US account will work, it's just confirming it may be an issue with the conversion of the microdeposits which I didn't get yet.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

To be clear this is a Canadian bank (like TDCanada Trust or Royal Bank of Canada) with the funds held in US dollars?

And the only choice for confirmation you are being given is micro-deposit?

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Can I get CAD deposits in a USD account?

If your payout currency is Canadian, you must have a Canadian currency chequing account.

You could still sell something on .com with that account but the money would always be currented into $C before being deposited.  Deposits into a $US bank account will only work if your payout currency was set up to be in $US. 

When your account was set up on .ca you should have been asked to choose payouts in  either $C or $US.  Once your account is set up you can't change it. 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

My account was setup about 20 years ago long before payouts were a thing.

I still don't see the microdeposits but it has barely been a day.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I'm not talking about your ebay account.  They should have asked for your payout currency when you signed up for Managed Payments. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Just to note that Tangerine does not have US$ chequing accounts, just $US savinfg accounts, so they cannot be used for Ebay managed payments.  Been there tried that 😁  

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

Just to note that Tangerine does not have US$ chequing accounts, just $US savinfg accounts, so they cannot be used for Ebay managed payments.  Been there tried that 😁  

OP was talking about Canadian dollars, not US$ for their personal sales.

Tangerine.ca does work for Managed Payments for Canadian $ deposits.

-;-

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

It has now been long enough that there seems to be a problem as the microdeposits aren't in my account.

Is this because it's a US chequing account? I thought it would just convert the deposites to CAD.

I also made a sale, is my payment from that sale at risk since I seem to be having issues setting up the payments?

What should I do now? I beleive eBay offers no support of any kind since the pandemic.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

If you are trying to set up a Managed Payment account your bank account MUST be in the same currency as your payouts.  So if your payouts are in $C you will never see the microdeposits in your $US bank account.   You have to link your MP account to a $C bank account.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

It seems that because of currency converstions the micro-deposit system of confirming identity does not work.

Do you have a passport?

Do you have a drivers' license?

You can if you wish use your SIN, but most Canadians are very uncomfortable with that. It's not actually illegal though.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

My bank confirmed my US account can get CAD deposits, is it eBay that can somehow detect the currency of my account and refuse the deposits?

I'm really not happy about having made a sale during this nightmare as it's looking like eBay will get to keep the money.

I also confirmed with my bank there is a minimum charge of $4/month to open a new account, this makes absolutely no sense for 0-2 sales per year, I think this leaves me no choice but to close my eBay account and let eBay keep the money from my last sale.

I'll check with my bank if I can open an account for only 1 month to get this pay and then close both the eBay and bank accounts.

If I then open a new eBay.com account, will I have any restrictions on selling in it as a "new" seller?

This managed payments nightmare is the worst thing to have happened to eBay since the company exists, it is literally giving me no choice but to close my account.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

MP works quite well once it is set up. As mentioned before the MP system will NOT work unless your payout currency is the same as your bank  account currency.  I don't know why but that's how it works.

Many of us have a  Tangerine bank chequing account which is totally free and you can set it up online in about 10 minutes.  It is owned by Scotiabank.

Yes, if you start a new account you will likely have restrictions as a new seller.   You will still have to sign up for MP on .ca but you can request your payouts to be in$US. But make sure that the bank account is Canadian based, not US based.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply