Why are buyers allowed to lie in their feedback comments?

I recently had a buyer that after purchasing the item and receiving it, she put a %100 negative comment and rating about it without even contacting me. She stated that the ad was wrong and the items I sent weren't even pictured. I called ebay and pointed out that the ad says 1 item but I sent 2 because I had had another buyer cancel their order and I felt it would boost my DSR a little getting a bonus item they didn't have to pay for. Than as to the pictured issue I proved that what I sent was right in the middle of the third picture! I was told that "feedback is based on the buyers opinion of the entire transaction and eBay does not investigate the truthfulness of negative or neutral feedback so we cant remove it unless it contains obscenities".

Options/advise? I have had this happen twice this year now and have done nothing but fulfill my end of the contract.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I have to say, I took a look at one of your listings and i'm surprised that you're doing as well as you are.

Kudos to you.

You have one listing with dozens of necklaces and it looks like you're asking the buyers to pick one.

That is one of the most confusing listings I've ever seen.

If I were you I'd stop complaining.

You're doing OK considering the way you're listing you item(s).

The listing I looked at could be a text book example for how not to list on eBay.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

You can't picture a group of items and then say you are only going to ship one.

If you have a choice of items you have to have enough of each to fill all orders. (Yes, those two contradict each other)

If your items are "custom" which normally means 'made to order'... that's just .... poor use of English.

Frankly you deserve all four negative and one neutral feedback.

And 'tibetan silver' is not silver and does not come from tibet.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Here is another untruth from your listing:

Once sent via Canada Post, I am not responsible for item arrival,

You as a seller are responsible for delivering the item to the buyer in the condition it was listed. 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Ouchie !

Ops Feedback percentages & DSRs are dangerously low.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I have listed all of the options AVAILABLE for the buyer as ebay doesn't let me set up my ads with the options button for some reason. as for the custom part. the byzantine is custom because I make it from scratch. I have had it where i have shipping my item with tracking info and canada post STILL lost the bloody thing, or it didn't arrive for 6 weeks and i sent it express. i have already taken the issue up with canada post but if they can't find the item there's nothing i can do, as a result the buyers usually file a claim and get their money back and i am out so much money because of it. with the 4 negative comments came a $129 loss total

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

i just want to be paid for the item and them get the item, that's it. 1 of the neg feedback even got their item and still refused to change it that they never got their item, so they got the item AND their money how is that fair????

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

There are no refunds/returns

That is false. Paypal and eBay both say you take refunds.

Get rid of the "fair" idea. There is no "fair" in business. Break that choice listing into smaller ones. You are doing so many things wrong.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

'Mr. Elmwood' and all the others are right -- you may not be able to do much about the neg FB you just got, but if you want to keep selling on this site, you need to fix up the way you're presenting your items to avoid future trouble.

If the problem is that you just don't want to bother taking several photos each of 10 or 12 individual items and creating separate listings, then buyer dissatisfaction and complaints will keep occurring, not to mention further INAD claims.  A savvy buyer may even decide to report you for a listing violation, which will not only put a black mark on your fairly new selling reputation, but may also prevent you from selling until you rectify the problems. 

What you need to do is make a completely separate listing, with a separate price, and separate shipping quotes, for every item in your "multiple" picture. 

There may be a reason that eBay isn't permitting you to set up a multi-variation listing -- possibly because the items are not true variations of one object (usually multi-variation listings apply to such things as variations in colour, size, etc.).  Or there may be some other reason you couldn't get it to work for you. 

However, in the meantime, while you figure it out, create the individual listings.  Think of it from the positive side: more listings under your ID will give your buyers more to look at when they land on your selling page, and more control to you over pricing, shipping and description.  Take charge of your selling and just do it.  Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@briar_rose_pixie17 wrote:

I have listed all of the options AVAILABLE for the buyer as ebay doesn't let me set up my ads with the options button for some reason. as for the custom part. the byzantine is custom because I make it from scratch. I have had it where i have shipping my item with tracking info and canada post STILL lost the bloody thing, or it didn't arrive for 6 weeks and i sent it express. i have already taken the issue up with canada post but if they can't find the item there's nothing i can do, as a result the buyers usually file a claim and get their money back and i am out so much money because of it. with the 4 negative comments came a $129 loss total

In that situation you can file an insurance claim with Canada Post as Xpresspost does have up to $100 insurance included.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

This is a friendly heads up ... Revise that listings to be Very clear about what people are buying as I couldn't figure it out I thought earring .. no wait earring or bracelet or do I have to buy 40 earrings to get a bracelet ...

Maybe very clear description and maybe seperate listings ..

I say this because with your ratings you could wake up tomorrow and have all ebay privilages removed .. I had a friend lose there account with 98.7% and much higher DSR rating then you so if this is to help out the family you should make changes now so you can contiunue to help your family

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Right Brande, looks like the seller has had a rough couple of weeks.

Hopefully it doesn't take long for their ratings to rise to a more reasonable level.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Is the tracking showing up on the canada post site? I hope you did not just put the item in a mailbox. You need to see a trackable item being scanned in with the barcode in person with your eyes. If you don't then the item might never get scanned in.

I don't know if you are ever going to recover from 4 negs and a neutral within 2 weeks from 5 different buyers.

We had a look at your previous listings and yes they are confusing and misleading. So just think about how much more confusing it will be for the buyers of lesser intelligence. That was just asking for trouble.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

okay i fixed as much as i could. now that all those stupid necklaces from my sister are gone. so new issue: person purchased my item buy it now, went through everything except paying. then refused to pay and used excuse " oh i was just trying to change the address on my profile. i dont wanna buy this item. cancel transaction." because of this 7 people lost the chance to rebid on my item. i believe the seller was abusing the right to terminate a transaction??
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Now I can't contact any of the bidders for my resisted ad for it. >:'(
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

While a buyer cannot cancel a transaction, she can only ask a seller to cancel it for her, she can decide not to pay.

Good.

Now you can open an Unpaid Item Dispute. If she still does not pay (and that is the only way she can win the dispute) she gets a black mark which makes it harder for her to bid or buy in future, you get your fees back, and neither can leave feedback.

If you had a friendly reason for cancellation - for example, I listed a book a couple of months ago with the right picture but the wrong edition information- you can go for a Mutual Cancellation. This ends the transaction and both can leave feedback. The feedback being the reason for only using this if everything is sane and friendly.

Selling on eBay is not quick or easy. Take your time and don't try to cut corners.

And don't sell for other people. Ever. Too much hassle.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

my sister is 12 not allowed to sell online

Message 17 of 17
latest reply