Why do buyers keep asking for Free Shipping

More of a rant, but so annoying when buyers constantly send messages or offers requesting free shipping. I get that the US has low shipping rates, but c'mon give me a break. I charge actual shipping and even if I wanted to take the offer would mean revising the listing.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

When I get an offer with a request for "free" shipping. I reply with a counter-offer that gives a total price in the notes that includes shipping.

If the target offer I'm willing to accept is $50 with shipping in the price (and shipping is $10 to the  buyer's location) -- then I'll counteroffer at $40 and say in the notes that the total will be $50 with shipping ($40+$10).

I don't modify the listing.

Some buyers are just arithmetic challenged.

-..-

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

At a risk of offending some, my reply to those requests is simple.  It is as follows.  "I asked Canada Post if they would ship for free to you.  They said no, so that is why I can't ship for free either."  If the value of the item is as stated in the listing, any clear thinking person would accept paying for shipping.  I'd rather block that buyer, than getting low DSR, because they thought shipping was high.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

All buyers hate shipping and eBay has been pushing it for some time now.

And it works as a sales gimmick.

BUT

Shipping is not part of a Best Offer dicker.

It is in my opinion best to educate the customer politely and then make an offer (like the $40+$10 =$50) if you can emotionally accept it.

If the customer refuses, fine.

Not every sale is worth having.

BTW- If  the customer got huffy about Free shipping, he would be on my Blocked Bidder List immediately. It would not get better.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Q - "Why do buyers keep asking for Free Shipping"

A - Because most listings (over 50%) offer "free shipping" - meaning whatever it costs the seller to ship to the buyer is included in the selling price and no extra charge will be made to cover shipping coat. 

This is a trend that has been growing for years on eBay and elsewhere online.  Yes, it is challenging to Canadian sellers when compared to American sellers generally facing much lower shipping costs.  However, let's face it: that is not the buyers problem.  Buyers are looking for the best deal possible and since most listings on eBay offer "free shipping" there is a growing trend to expect it.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@pinetreecottage wrote:

At a risk of offending some, my reply to those requests is simple.  It is as follows.  "I asked Canada Post if they would ship for free to you.  They said no, so that is why I can't ship for free either."

What a nonsense reply, because sometimes the Canada Post response is YES.

Like October 2016 with the Canada Post free shipping Tuesday offers.

If you really feel the need to say something, then you can just say: "eBay offers are only for the price of the item and shipping is not part of the eBay offer process."

-..-

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I just got one today! Item is on sale at 10% off, $30.00 down to $27.00 and person asks for $25.00 with free shipping. My response was "Not a chance!"

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

What many buyers do not realize is that on eBay .......

Free shipping means the cost of shipping is in included in the price....

This is how many sellers define free shipping on eBay.

-----------------------------------------------------------

In a true... legal definition.....  free shipping means ... zero ...  cost for shipping

Many stores such  will price something in the B & M store.... and will offer that item at the same price  with ....no cost ...for shipping.

---------------------------------------

Or ........ as Staples offers free shipping

Buy one at $25  with $17  cost for shipping....   and then

Buy two units at $25 x 2 = $50  and there is zero cost for shipping....  No cost for shipping if the total on an order is higher than $45.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

asks for $25.00 with free shipping. My response was "Not a chance!"

And there is a customer you will never see again.

It might have been more politic to respond that eBay does not allow shipping to be a part of a Best Offer negotiation.

Given your product line, Flat Rate Shipping would be difficult and that in turn makes Free Shipping almost impossible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ3k2xA1Wcw

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I received an offer on one of my BIN items for $30.00 with free shipping. My exact words were the same as yours! LOL! Not a chance!

Message 10 of 10
latest reply