Why ya just can't win

I have not bought anything for a while, however I bought a radio a week or so again and It came in today.

I left positive feedback.

Then I looked at the item in My eBay

On the right hand side instead of a button that says: "View Transaction" It says: "Return Item"

That's the first thing a buyer sees in his/her eBay when an item is received? How encouraging of eBay. How supportive of sellers is that?

In reality - how stupid is that? Do they think any of this through at all?

And that's why !!!!!

YA JUST CAN'T WIN

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Why ya just can't win

I win all the time, non stop. The once in awhile sideways turn is by no means losing.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Why ya just can't win

"In reality - how stupid is that? Do they think any of this through at all?"

I totally agree with you.  Sometimes the folks busy making changes at eBay forget to look at the real world, how real people react to their messages.

Stupid?  Yes, definitely. Not for the first time and, unfortunately, not the last.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Why ya just can't win

It is not what you see,

It is what you do in response to what you see.

The more times one sees something...that something  almost disappears into the background.....

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Why ya just can't win

@cumos55 wrote:

It is not what you see,

It is what you do in response to what you see.

The more times one sees something...that something  almost disappears into the background.....

I do not agree at all.

Repetion becomes reality.

That why they teach - rote because it works.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Why ya just can't win

Returns have not, are not, never will be a factor in my business.

Why are you afraid of fear? I'm not.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Why ya just can't win

In a learning environment (school) people have to remember what they see.... so that they can answer questions on an exam.

In contrast... 

In every day life people will look at many things  and not necessarily see it unless  they  take note of what they are looking at.

The brain remembers  many things in passing but much of what is viewed will be in memory and ignored unless really needed...

The return Tab will always be there....  and over  time  a buyer will ignore  it unless it is really needed...

Take a quick  look on any page on eBay, ..close it quickly and then draw and label what you saw....you will remember  what you use on a regular basis.

Then go back and see what is missing from your drawing...

You can look at it ...but not see it...    That is how a brain works.....

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Why ya just can't win

I doesn't see anyone saying that they are afraid...I'm not. But I agree that it is stupid that the most prominent message is about returning an item.

That's certainly not a retail site standard.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Why ya just can't win

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I doesn't see anyone saying that they are afraid...I'm not. But I agree that it is stupid that the most prominent message is about returning an item.

Most sites I visit have pretty prominent links to Returns spread all over their sites.

The idea is to make make it easier for a buyer WHO ACTUALLY WANTS TO MAKE A RETURN. Buyers who are happy with their item are neither looking at the transaction ever again or have no desire to return an item they are happy with.

The last thing anybody needs is for a buyer who does want to make a return having to jump through hoops to figure out how to do it. They go from slightly annoyed that they need to do a return to completely frustrated if the process is at all difficult to find and navigate.

I see on the US seller boards many sellers who are quite capable of turning an unfortunate return situation into a nightmare because they make life as difficult as possible for the buyer. I guess they hope it will make the return go away but all it does it make the buyer more upset and uncooperative.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Why ya just can't win

@recped wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Most sites I visit have pretty prominent links to Returns spread all over their sites.

The idea is to make make it easier for a buyer WHO ACTUALLY WANTS TO MAKE A RETURN. Buyers who are happy with their item are neither looking at the transaction ever again or have no desire to return an item they are happy with.

The last thing anybody needs is for a buyer who does want to make a return having to jump through hoops to figure out how to do it. They go from slightly annoyed that they need to do a return to completely frustrated if the process is at all difficult to find and navigate.

I see on the US seller boards many sellers who are quite capable of turning an unfortunate return situation into a nightmare because they make life as difficult as possible for the buyer. I guess they hope it will make the return go away but all it does it make the buyer more upset and uncooperative.

I agree that it shouldn't be difficult to return an item but I think that most sites have that information under the help link, not right in your face. On ebay, if a buyer wants to leave feedback or if they want to ask the seller a question, or perhaps just thank the seller they do go back to that transaction after they receive it. In the past I believe that the leave feedback link was the most prominent...now it is the return link. In my experience many more buyers leave feedback and/or send me a message after the transaction than return an item so why make the return link so prominent?

Yes there are sellers that make things more difficult for a buyer but in general, I don't think that the way ebay has the return/case system set up right now necessarily makes it easier for anybody.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Why ya just can't win

I just got a refund request from a 0 feedback buyer today. Reason stated, item does not work, no additional detail.  Instant defect for me.

The item is an old win 95 PC game in mint condition. 

I am sure the item works, the buyer is probably clueless and trying to run it on win7 or something.

This is why I hate this new system, I get unwarrented defects.

With this big Return link, ebay just makes it easier for clueless people to become a nuisance.

I am not against easy returns but where is the part where we are supposed to communicate and help the buyer first?

Ebay just shoves that big link in their face, it even links them to the return page when they try to ask a question about a ''defective'' item.

I am growing increasingly fed up of this system. It penalizes good sellers and gives no motivation at all to offer good service.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply