Ya know how sometimes the argument is satisfying in itself?

Kalvin referred a situation of mine, on up the ladder. Apparently that woke up the other than lucid.

I got burned on a couple of South American parcels. All I really lost is the postage, so what. My argument was, why is Paypal shipping saying I have to ship to that address for seller protection and then turning around and refusing to afford me with any sort of protection?

I know the answer. The answer is "tough patooties".

The answer I received was, get this, to use GSP. This is after I had specified: Paypal shipping, Canada Post, shipping from Canada.

The mea culpa answer was to pass along to the customer the increased costs. I have asked the question "You as the customer, instead of paying $21 would know be paying $88, for postage. You would pay $88 postage on a $20 widget?".

Yeah the uptick from airmail to tracking number ranges in the $70 to $100 range.

It was also suggested that I go to Canada Post and use their resources for a tracking number. After eleven years, 65 countries, and 8700 parcels, I had never thought of that.

The argument, however, is engaging. Anyone have some nuances they want me to throw in?

Photobucket
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Anyone have some nuances they want me to throw in?

Hahhhh! LOL! Woman LOLSmiley Very HappyMan Very HappyCat LOL

Yes -- here's a nuance for you:  so eBay suggested that you pass on the increased shipping cost to your customer, did they?  Funny how that goes completely against the tidal flow of eBay's push to get sellers to offer lower (or, OMG, free!) shipping.  

It seems to me that they've been putting a great deal of effort over the past few months in terms of policies, rules, restrictions, promotions and advertising relating to free shipping.  Now their best solution is for you to increase the international buyer's shipping cost?  Yes, well, that may protect you if you ever get a sale.  A "tough patooties" answer would at least have been more honest.  

Actually, the solution would be for eBay to get off its duff and do something, either alone or in concert with Paypal, to help indemnify sellers who ship to overseas locations and are found to have done everything required of them other than pay for premium shipping.  EBay owns Paypal, I can see no reason why they can't make some concessions in this area.  They could practically run their own international parcel shipping service, come to think of it.  

Your experience is the reason I think more and more sellers seem to be restricting their "sell to" list to those countries with stable economies and reliable postal services, which doesn't help eBay expand, does it? 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Oh, by the way, in all fairness, I have to say that Kalvin, Raphael and the others have been nothing but helpful in resolving serious issues once contacted.  In my own case, Raphael was almost on the scale of "white knight".  I might not still be selling if it weren't for his intelligent intervention.  Just to set the record down.  

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

PayPal Seller Protection says you have to ship to the address on the PayPal invoice AND have proof of delivery for items under $250 US (on eBay.com, $325 CAN on eBay.ca) or have signature confirmation for items over those breakpoints.

So using Small Packet International without delivery confirmation did not quality for PayPal Seller Protection.

To qualify for PayPal Seller Protection, you would have had to ship by a method where delivery (or signature) confirmation was available (Xpresspost, Tracked Packet, International Parcel, whatever is available to those countries). Of course, these shipping options are so high in cost that they are not used.

That simple an explanation. You did not meet the conditions to qualify for PayPal Seller Protection.

As for recommending GSP, that is funny since you are based in Canada.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Seller protection on eBay is excellent. That is it's excellent if you understand that it's only function is to protect you from fraud.

Protection from poor service by a postal carrier is called "insurance" you can use it or not as you wish (I don't wish) but eBay are not in the insurance business, if I was interested in insurance I'd be going to someone who specializes in that field.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

By the way I did catch that part about them suggesting GSP to a Canadian seller which is obviously a stupid suggestion.

I guess I'm just not at all surprised that when speaking with customer service reps that you usually get irrelevant answers. Whay else are they supposed to dish out while attempting to remain polite and not hang up on you.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Protection from poor service by a postal carrier is called "insurance" you can use it or not as you wish (I don't wish) but eBay are not in the insurance business, if I was interested in insurance I'd be going to someone who specializes in that field.

But here's where I have a problem -- surely eBay, through Paypal, could offer discounted insurance for its sellers where needed, such as on international shipments to destinations that would otherwise be prohibitive to ship to.  I'd imagine that would encourage more sellers to ship worldwide, which should add up to a win-win for eBay. 

If 3rd party auction management sites like the one I use (Auctiva) can offer their own shipping insurance programme, why not eBay?  Couldn't they partner with somebody to provide the service, rather than running it themselves?  I would think a lot of insurance providers would be happy to get that business from a giant like eBay. 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Third party insurance is available on ebay.com from a few sources as a eBay application. However, you have to be US based to use these ebay apps. These apps are not available on eBay.ca nor any of the other eBay.com apps. Too small a market here in Canada I guess.

For Canadian sellers, your choice is using shipsurance.com or u-pic.com. Countries insured are restricted and so are the items covered. Read the terms carefully.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

sometimes you just gotta shake your head and move on

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Pretty much Nan, pretty much.

I forgot the free shipping aspect! That will be my next argument.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

But here's where I have a problem -- surely eBay, through Paypal, could offer discounted insurance for its sellers where needed, such as on international shipments to destinations that would otherwise be prohibitive to ship to.  I'd imagine that would encourage more sellers to ship worldwide, which should add up to a win-win for eBay.

They could and they do (in the US) but wouldn't it be better to go directly to ShipInsurance and buy direct (for less) instead of buying from ShipInsurance via eBay (under the ShipSaver brand) and letting eBay take a cut of the action?

Message 11 of 11
latest reply