appeals and 30 day time limits

I am at my wits end with a transaction I had on May 11th, with a New Zealand customer, who outbid at last minute, when I only sell in North America right now.

The difficulties started with trying to get a label, Paypal would not work for New Zealand destination, and my own business account with Canada Post, only gave me one choice, surface shipping and I could get a tracking service with that. I warned the buyer that it would be expensive even if it was a small item. The cost was $30USD, and the total was $60.USD,

I also made sure the buyer knew New Zealand had airmail restrictions and surface by ship was the only way to go, the average delivery period was 2 to 3 months, in normal times. The parcel was mailed and tracked to our West coast province BC, and sat there for a few days, till it was reported in transit (by ship).

In the meantime the buyer kept emailing and telling me there was something wrong and felt he did not trust me, and why was it taking so long.?... I kept explaining over and over again. Till 6 weeks after shipment when he started a non receipt claim, I was outraged at his impatience. Long story short, he got his money back, tracking still says in transit, and Ebay says parcel is lost.

I appeal a week later, they refuse to change their decision in spite of tracking info being updated, still in transit. This was before 2 months were up. I decided to wait till the parcel arrived and it was documented as delivered on the tracking result on Aug 7th, and the buyer admitted by email he received my parcel that day and would refund me when he could next week....

Still waiting for the refund, called Paypal, they said in person on the phone, if buyer has the item and the payment, Ebay has to refund you. I call Ebay we are now on Aug12th, they take the appeal information by their chat messaging system, I write to 3 different agents, and they open another appeal for this situation, I was quite sure I would prevail, next day I get an email from customer service saying the appeal was denied because I exceeded their 30 day limit rule. I replied I wanted to speak with a supervisor or executive and told them it was unacceptable during this pandemic period to quote rules based on normal times.

Today I got Jake the supervisor who pretty much repeated the same message I already got. I am in a fury with this automatic pilot kind of service and wrote again to escalate further for someone senior to examine the detail of what happened, and there is no way the buyer should keep the money too.

I am writing all this here because I am curious if anybody else has ever gone this route, and should I talk to Paypal again? 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

what you need to do, is send a request for payment to the buyer, through paypal saying that now that they have received the item please follow through with re- payment as they promised.

Paypal will have nothing to do with the refund, and ebay won't either at this point, you're only hope is that the buyer steps up and re pays you to make you both whole.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

You have the buyer's email?

Use Paypal's Send Money service to invoice him.

You were right not to have overseas shipping during these pandemic days. And in hindsight, you could have cancelled the transaction as Problem With Address, which would have refunded the buyer and left you unscathed.

Best wishes and I hope this can be resolved.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Surface shipment overseas will ALWAYS end up this way on ebay, it just takes longer than the 60 day money back guarantee deadline of ebay. No surface shipping overseas for ebay sales period.

The only time we ever surface ship tracked insured overseas is for non ebay items (private sale) paid with paypal friends and family (cannot make a claim that way).

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

Surface shipment overseas will ALWAYS end up this way on ebay, it just takes longer than the 60 day money back guarantee deadline of ebay. No surface shipping overseas for ebay sales period.

The ebay guarantee covers the 30 days after last estimated delivery date. But the guarantee process does get more difficult to access when the promised delivery time is longer than 60 days.

But you are correct that surface shipping overseas is not a good choice for sellers on ebay.

-..-

Message 5 of 5
latest reply