buyer contact right after a purchase claimed it was an unauthorized purchase request a refund

a buyer contacted me right after making a purchase for over $500, telling me that the purchase was an unauthorized payment, and want it canceled and refunded right away while he contact his bank for a refund.

so without thinking too deep into it i did the cancelation and refund.

and as i was looking at the payment process dashboard on all the record, because now ebay had moved to manage payment, how do i say this, a refund doesn't just refund directly using the payment's transaction. like that $500 comes, that $500 back out. it's like you -$500 on your balance to fund the refund while the payment's $500 is still on "processing" to get clear right. 

so now i am thinking, i already processed this $500 refund to him while the $500 he paid me is still "processing until tomorrow" and he's saying he's going to also call his bank to "stop" the payment because it was unauthorized. 

and when the bank answers him and stops his payment doesn't that mean the "processing" $500 while get clear while i already "refunded" him out of my balance on the cancelation? 

this is the first time i ever encounter this after the payment managment transit so i really don't know if i am screwing myself up by giving the buyer the refund so fast? and a charge back going to come back and bite me hard while ebay going to let me hanging?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

buyer contact right after a purchase claimed it was an unauthorized purchase request a refund

I tried to cancel a payment that hadn't been posted to my card yet as I realized almost immediately I had been scammed and the person at my credit card company couldn't do it till the payment had cleared and was posted to my account. I don't know whether all banks are the same, but it was with mine. They will then do an investigation and see that the refund had been posted already. It won't hurt to check with your credit card company and get a name and date of who you spoke to. Hope this helped 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

With Managed Payments.

If a buyer pays and asks for a cancellation of the transaction....

The refund will be immediately taken from the sum that has already been processed.

The buyer does not have to .... wait... for a refund

The original payment will  eventually be processed.....

The amount in the refund will be the amount in the original payment,  except for the transaction fee  of 32 cents  which is 30 cents plus GST/HST.  This 32 cents in the refund comes from other payments....  The buyer receives a ... full... refund  in relation to the original payment.

This is my experience with a cancellation/refund with Managed Payments

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Pretty much as this ^^^^^

It will all straighten itself out in the next 18 hours, the payment will be processed and then used to cover the current deficit.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If he paid, then the money is with, or moving towards eBay and Managed Payments.

When you cancelled, that process stops.

But some of what is happening behind the curtain is slower than your customer believes.

Stopping the clearance of payments and reversing them is always slower than putting them through. I suspect part of this is an extra level of verification that the money is going back to its origins and not off to an account in the Caymans.

Ah- fancy sneakers. Definitely put him on the BBL. That's a high fraud category you are working in.

But given that he can't understand that and is all but accusing you of fraud, put him on your Blocked Bidder List.

He can still send Messages because there has been a transaction, but he can't make any more impulse buys with you that he immediately regrets.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

The seller has the name and address (and probably phone number ) of the customer from eBay.

But it is helpful to hear what is happening on the customer's end.

Thank you.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply