eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and hav

Hello,

I had a buyer open a case for item not as described but clearly the buyer bought the wrong item and he indicated in his return request that he bought the wrong item but want me to pay return shipping. He then escalated it to ebay and seems like ebay refunded his money automatically right away.

"eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a refund of C $9.71 without any impact to you.
This case is now closed. You are not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case will not be counted in your seller performance evaluation."

I'm not quite understanding this. Did eBay refund the buyer's money using eBay's funds or from my paypal funds? It says I don't have to reimburse anybody back.

Any help appreciated thanks.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and hav

Another pic.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

@2006balla wrote:

Hello,

I'm not quite understanding this. Did eBay refund the buyer's money using eBay's funds or from my paypal funds? It says I don't have to reimburse anybody back.

Any help appreciated thanks.

Occasionally in cases like this where the item value is low and the buyer doesn't have an excessive history of cases being opened ebay will just refund the customer. I've had this happen a few times where the buyer's text indicates they purchased the item by mistake but they opened a not as described case which triggers seller responsibility for return shipping.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@2006balla wrote:

I had a buyer open a case for item not as described but clearly the buyer bought the wrong item and he indicated in his return request that he bought the wrong item but want me to pay return shipping. He then escalated it to ebay and seems like ebay refunded his money automatically right away.

"eBay opened a case because of an issue with an item purchased from you. We reviewed the case and have decided to issue the buyer a refund of C $9.71 without any impact to you.
This case is now closed. You are not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay, and this case will not be counted in your seller performance evaluation."

... have decided to issue the buyer a refund of C $9.71 without any impact to you.
This case is now closed. You are not required to reimburse the buyer or eBay,

without any impact ... exactly that, does not effect you (the seller) in any way

not required to reimburse ... you (the seller) are NOT required to PAY for this

For whatever reason, eBay staff decided to cover the buyer's cost from eBay's money.

-..-

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Paypal details can get confusing at times, but thiese details are to prevent the buyer (on the other side of the transaction details) from making a double claim. The buyer side (which you don't see) will show the transaction as having been repaid (with no additional refund claims possible),

If you had paid the refund -- paypal would have returned your paypal fee (minus 30 cents).

-..-

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Unless this is a posting ID, you don't seem to be selling or leaving feedback.

Online selling is not easy.

Experienced eBayers suggest that newbies do some buying before venturing into the murky waters of selling.

Build your feedback, which is used by customers as a measure of trust.

And learn about the pitfalls of shipping.

You can lose your profits by messing up shipping even with an honest customer who is happy with the sale.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

When something like this is done, ebay is doing so as a courtesy to the seller and to the buyer, neither of which is happy with the situation but neither of which deserves in ebay's eyes to be left unhappy with it. The funds used for the refund come from ebay which is to say all of us. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@2006balla wrote:

I had a buyer open a case for item not as described but clearly the buyer bought the wrong item and he indicated in his return request that he bought the wrong item [...] 

For quite some time now, eBay has been deciding cases based on eBay messaging, rather than he-said-she-said accounts.  They have access to, and will look at, communication between seller and buyer and make a determination about who is at fault and who should pay what.  

Or, as in your case, they decide that there is really no fault on either side, in which case eBay reimburses the party who is out the money -- well, as 'mjwl' says, that money actually comes at least partly out of sellers' fee payments (although eBay does have other income besides seller fees).  The key point in your post was that the buyer indicated in an official eBay communication that he'd bought the wrong item. 

Remember this if you're fairly new to selling.  Whenever you need to communicate with a buyer, do it through official eBay channels or eBay messages, not via personal email accounts.  It can save you grief and defects. 

As 'ypdc_dennis' indicated above, you can consider the matter closed. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply