eBay's Valet kicks the bucket

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/pl/2018/3/1522086624.html

eBay Shutters eBay Valet Consignment Program

“eBay discontinued its eBay Valet consignment program this month, which it had launched in 2014 after it closed its Trading Assistant program the year before....”

I wonder if Trading Assistants will return. Or a mentorship program of some kind.
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Glad they are killing off that mess!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Love some of the comments, especially the ones that refer to the treatment of the sellers on the other site. There is an opportunity for ebay to bring back many fine sellers, who fled due to mistreatment here. 

It's almost a perfect storm, I truly hope ebay management can see the light.

Really, when you think about all that has happened over the years, SEARS should be the leader in online sales. They had the catalog, stores everywhere, but dropped the ball by letting the upstarts take over. Strange that management got bonuses when they did go down.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Strange that management got bonuses when they did go down.

Cui bono?

I look for stocks in companies that pay dividends. If the company isn't making a profit and isn't paying the stockholders, then it's not in the retail/petroleum/ banking/ shipping/ whatever business, it's just gambling.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Sears missed the opportunity to turn their massive catalog following and thousands of distribution outlets into a dominant online business.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@mcrlmnwrote:
Sears missed the opportunity to turn their massive catalog following and thousands of distribution outlets into a dominant online business.

Not really. Sears discontinued distribution of the general merchandise catalog in 1993. Before the internet became an important venue.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The demise of Sears makes me a bit sad. Growing up in the country, the Sears catalogue was the lifeline to every man, woman and child in rural North America. Sears held all the cards. Even when there were some other online options, I still stuck fast to Sears. But I think Sears was arrogant in their place of comfort: the merchandise was often not wonderful, the prices were not great, the workers were disgruntled, and the shipping was sloppy. Once there were alternatives, my loyalty wavered.

Sears had me, and they lost me. And I am more loyal than most online shoppers, I will stick to a merchant for their reliability and customer service even if they aren't the least expensive. 

As to the ebay Valet program, I have no direct experience with it. It was never available in Canada. 

I do think, however, there needs to be something to replace them. People still come to the Boards looking for Trading Assistants. If not paid helpers, then mentors of something.

Unless that's the purpose we serve here on the board: new seller support.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The plot indeed thickens.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Amazon was established in 1994.
Look at where they are today.

eBay was 1995.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Sears already had a National distribution network, local fulfillment centers, a catalog, their own name brands, knowledgeable staff, rights to sell many other name brands, they simply dropped the ball. Even Amazon now, is not set up as good as Sears was, when Amazon started.

They could have shipped almost everything fast locally, getting cheap rates in the process.

Of course, hindsight is always 20/20, we could probably say the same thing regarding most of the other national retailers.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

It is extremely difficult to transition from a national retailer that has relatively fixed margin requirements to an ecommerce discounter, especially when that requires years of negative margins and a high burn rate. More so when you are a publicly traded company and have to justify your position and heavy investment into things that won't pay dividends for years. 

I don't think ebay particularly cares about chasing used inventory that is typical of consignment at this point. It doesn't mesh particularly well with the direction they are heading. That is of course unless it involves a handbag and aligns with the personal interests of certain executives who spent too much time in the department store era. Their future is leveraging existing online retailer inventory through multichannel solutions like the recent deal with Shopify and transitioning to selling inventory themselves. Multichannel they have been doing for years, but the new play you will see will be ebay trying to make inroads in selling certain categories of merchandise direct and bypassing the seller community entirely.

I suspect this will start happening first with dropship accessible inventory as typical any schmo can get authorization to sell those product lines and it will leverage existing business relationships with the likes of Ingram and others. They are going to have to rely on distribution as they have no logistics infrastructure in place to compete on a price basis. Too little too late. The only niche I see them surviving in is fighting for a percentage of business from marketplace customers enjoying greater success on Walmart and Amazon. It is ironic that we are mentioning the catalog business as ebay is literally reinventing that wheel. One day some bright spark will get it and understand that the real market to pursue is not commission fees attached to selling.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I may also scoff at used handbags but many do not:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43239037
Message 13 of 13
latest reply