"Print Shipping Label" eBay surprise

As a Seller, it is absolutely laughable that there was NO message sent from eBay that this "eBay Labels" change was happening on a specific date. Yes, there was an "eBay Labels" message sent out to me on December 3, but there were no specific dates in it.

My last sale was 5 days ago and Shippo was still my default then.

If you have no idea what I am talking about, I was apparently selected to have eBay take over the default "print shipping label" action from Shippo. The "Go to Shippo" tiny text IS located on the upper right side, but it is hard to see when you see this new page UI.

The kicker is that the cost via eBay Labels was 55 cents HIGHER than the exact same dimensional quote using Shippo. I am not sure how to convey in words fit to print here that eBay has found another way to finish-off 2020 by charging Sellers more.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I had no idea that they are having some sellers using eBay labels. I am guessing that it will start out at first with MP sellers.  If the postage was more they must not be incorporating any sort of CP discount??

tyler@ebay 

Are the eBay labels going to have any type of discount from Canada Post or eBay?  Will we have to sign in to our CP small business accounts together the CP discount that we get now?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I'm in MP on my primary id, I have not received anything about eBay shipping labels and Shippo is the only option I'm given.

Could be because the last time I used eBay to initiate a shipping label was at least 15 years ago.

Been getting spammed by Shippo over the past month or so...........

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for the message, I for one am excited to try it so my shipping label costs get deducted from my MP bank account, makes for less work if the labels work well. From what I can tell the prices I see in the eBay tool match my Shippo pricing including my CP small business discount, and perhaps are better for different shipping options other than my default small packet to USA. I have yet to try it though, I hope it works well. I received a notice that they would be rolling it out to select few sellers in a few weeks, I am happy its finally here, but received no notice that it actually was.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I received notice this morning that the label platform can be used and is live for selected sellers. Perhaps the notice was delayed by 1/2 a day.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I just got shuffled to the new ebay shipping labels. It was $1 more on eBay for an expedited label vs. Shippo. 

I'll stick with the tiny little go to Shippo link. Thanks!

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@ericsells75 wrote:

I just got shuffled to the new ebay shipping labels. It was $1 more on eBay for an expedited label vs. Shippo. 

I'll stick with the tiny little go to Shippo link. Thanks!

According to the recent Spring Update (Feb 26, 2020), sleeping main reason for the release of the platform was for convenience between MP and creating labels. In doing a quick glaze over the update I couldn't seem to find anything about actual savings. It may have been mentioned at some point in time but I can't find it anywhere officially. Sales information is directly ported to the new interface so no cutting and pasting like when you use Snap Ship. Lastly. tracking info is ported.

I guess for anyone that prefers to be billing monthly for postage it could be a preference. In using Shippo I've always paid for postage immediately, directly from PayPal. I am able to access my level 2 discount. Something I am unable to do with PayPal postage.

Spring Update and FAQ attached.

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2020-spring/ship.html#m22_tb_a1_7

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/news/seller-updates/2020-spring/ship.html#m17-1-tb2

-Lotz

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Just did another shipment - eBay shipping label expedited shipping 20.65, Shippo 17.93.....

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

thx for the update, next time i need label i will compare as well.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I had no idea that they are having some sellers using eBay labels. I am guessing that it will start out at first with MP sellers.  If the postage was more they must not be incorporating any sort of CP discount??

tyler@ebay 

Are the eBay labels going to have any type of discount from Canada Post or eBay?  Will we have to sign in to our CP small business accounts together the CP discount that we get now?

Hi @pjcdn2005 - I don't have details on what discount levels (if any) apply but have asked and will let you know as I hear back!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I just did my first label with the new system,

Some observations from  my end.

1. The cost for an expedited Canadian label was the same in eBay's platform, as Shippo's platform for this package, my small business discounts were correct..

2. There are very limited options as to the printing and layout of the label, i.e. size, portrait, landscape etc.

3. The From defaulted to my eBay name rather than my business name, not sure If I can fix that in the future or not.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

tyler@ebay 

Hi @pjcdn2005 - I heard back on this:

Currently, sellers can save up to 18% compared to retail rates for Canada Post labels by printing their labels on eBay. This is the same discount as Canada Post Solution for Small Business Level 1. With eBay Labels, to make the experience as easy as possible, sellers don’t need to create or sign in to their own individual accounts. We’re working to offer more competitive rates and services on eBay Labels and hope to make more announcements in the near future.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Hi Tyler,
You state "With eBay Labels, to make the experience as easy as possible, sellers don’t need to create or sign in to their own individual accounts."
This is a big problem, as it means no labels created are applied to the Canada Post Small business account, if they are not applied a seller with a CP account will never accumulate enough shipments to reach the "level 2" CP discount!!! This needs to be fixed or myself and many others will not use this platform as our shipments will not be counted by CP.

I just check my account and the label I created on Dec 18th does not show up in my CP account shipments. This combined wit the other issues I posted in the weekly chat are going to prevent me form using this service until its fixed.

After waiting for this service since spring, this is very disappointing, it makes me wonder why I use eBay at all. I like eBay, some things they do make sense, many however do not.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

I still use PayPal Shipping labels and will do until the bitter end...

...nothing eBay introduces works as it should, managed payments anyone!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

You have the option of using Shippo or Ebay to generate. Use the one that costs you the least and move on.  It's really nothing to ruin your year over. Choose not to be so dramatic and posative things will open for you. Good luck. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply