sold possible fake merch

Hi, so I had made an agreement with someone going to a concert in August to pick up several merch items for me to resell. When they returned, I had no reason to belive they weren't authentic and listed them as such. Sold a few items with no issues. Just recieved a message from a buyer saying theyre disappointed they were mislead. I don't think theyre scamming me as it's been well over 60 days since delivery and they've only sent this one message now, no claim or review accussing me of scamming. I'm in the process of figuring out how to differentiate but the one item this buyer contacted me about, I think they are right and that it did not come from the concert. Obviously I'm annoyed both that I was duped but also at myself for not authenticating before listing in the first place.

I've removed the remainig item in my shop but what to do from here? Do I ask them to return the item for a refund or ask if they want a refund or apologize? I've also sold a couple other items that I will have to look into as well, what do I do if they turn out to be fakes too? All sold items are way over 30 days past delivery and the claims window. I'm a new seller and I'm honestly embarrassed 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

sold possible fake merch

mcrlmn
Community Member

Authenticate everything yourself before listing.

If you can't... Don't list.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

sold possible fake merch

@northlandthrift wrote:

Hi, so I had made an agreement with someone going to a concert in August to pick up several merch items for me to resell. When they returned, I had no reason to belive they weren't authentic and listed them as such. Sold a few items with no issues. Just recieved a message from a buyer saying theyre disappointed they were mislead. I don't think theyre scamming me as it's been well over 60 days since delivery and they've only sent this one message now, no claim or review accussing me of scamming. I'm in the process of figuring out how to differentiate but the one item this buyer contacted me about, I think they are right and that it did not come from the concert. Obviously I'm annoyed both that I was duped but also at myself for not authenticating before listing in the first place.

I've removed the remainig item in my shop but what to do from here? Do I ask them to return the item for a refund or ask if they want a refund or apologize? I've also sold a couple other items that I will have to look into as well, what do I do if they turn out to be fakes too? All sold items are way over 30 days past delivery and the claims window. I'm a new seller and I'm honestly embarrassed 

What makes you think your buyer is some sort of expert?

Whoever bought the stuff for you, was this some stranger on the street or an actual friend/relative? Why would a friend/relative scam you?

Curious as to what artist it was and if the merch was purchased inside the venue or out on the street.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

sold possible fake merch

@northlandthrift wrote:

@recped 

Do you have any way to contact the person you purchased from originally. No guarantees they will be forthright but it doesn't hurt to inquire. Do you have a past history with that person?

-Lotz

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

sold possible fake merch

Was that tag actually intended for me?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

sold possible fake merch

@recped 

Sorry. Was meant for @northlandthrift 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

sold possible fake merch

message from a buyer saying theyre disappointed they were mislead. ...it's been well over 60 days since delivery and ...no claim or review accussing me of scamming.

They can't open an eBay claim since it is more than 30 days since delivery.

And they can't leave feedback since 60 days have passed.

They can open a Paypal claim or chargeback for 180 days from payment.

You could Message them"I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return it for refund."

No mention of return postage, since PP at least would require them to pay for the return.

No admission that you are worried about the authenticity which might affect a PP or cc claim.

Then go from there.

But a random claim from a stranger on the internet is not confirmation of fakery or authenticity.

If he is really unhappy, you made an offer to make it right, although both lose money and only Canada Post wins.

If he is fishing for a partial refund, he won't return it and the transaction is over.

If he is unhappy because he has been unable to resell it, for whatever reason, he loses more by paying for the return.

I agree with @recped, if your friend did not buy the items at the concert, but on the street, you may have reason to question authenticity, but if they bought them inside, you should be fine.

I don't see any Sold concert merch on this selling account, but the item number may still be valid.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply