when will ebay do something positive with non payers?

it seems to me that non payers are allowed to not pay without any penalty at all. there should be a list of non paying bidders which could be accessed by all sellers to cross check that they are not on a blacklist, to prevent frustration and accepting offers from bad bidders.

I know that there are genuine reasons, sometimes, when people are away from home or office and don't keep themselves up to date everyday with bids they have placed, but surely if you have made an offer on something you would want to keep an eye on your bid.

sounds like a rant, but I am so sick of non paying bidders over the last 10 years and ebay just seems to suck it up and ignore it.

there is no wonder that local selling sites are gaining in popularity.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

yeah local sites....where people tell you they want your widget, arrange a meet and then never show up.

Or they show up and try to renegotiate.......

Or they show up and say, sorry not what I was looking for......

When a buyer is reported to eBay for non-payment eBay takes note, you can set a block against any buyer who has more than 2 non-payment strikes in the past 12 months, do you use it?

If a buyer has a high number of non-payment strikes eBay may impose sanctions on that buyer up to and including suspending or restricting their account. They are not going to discuss their actions or the parameters used with you or anyone else.

The most important thing to do is to use the tools eBay provides and set your blocks appropriately.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

You must wait four days (96 hours) before opening an Unpaid Item Dispute.

EBay sends a reminder after 24(?) hours.

I usually send a very polite reminder on Day Three.

On Day Four I open the UID in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this, and most, eBay pages.

The buyer then has 96 hours to pay up.

If he does, he's just a slow payer. I ship and leave no feedback.

If he doesn't, the transaction ends, I get my fees back, and he gets a Strike.

Sellers can set up an automaticBlock against bidders with Strikes. You've been given the link.

EBay does not make public who has Strikes, as much for legal reasons as any other.

But checking Buyer Restrictions (?) does show that those Blocks are enforced. The seller never sees those bids.

I believe deadbeats with Strikes can buy items that are Fixed Price/Immediate Payment Required, but if they don't pay immediately the item remains available for someone who does pay.

Who do you think reads buyer feedback?

Not the buyer. He knows and doesn't care.

Not eBay. Feedback is not used to assess accounts.

Not your fellow sellers.

Over 85% of transactions are Fixed Price. The seller doesn't see the buyer until he buys.

And of the few remaining Auctions, a dying part of eBay, most have Buy It Now enabled, and the seller only sees the BIN buyer when he buys.

The only ones who see your positive feedback with NEGATIVE wording are your future customers--who are backbuttoning away from a seller with apparent anger issue.

Use the Dispute system. Hand out the Strikes to deadbeats. Help your fellow sellers.

And let us help you by setting up your Block against deadbeat buyers.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

if you are getting a high number of no-payers, have you tried putting on a BIN price, that is 1. fair, 2. slightly less than others, 3. something you would be happy with? then click the option, require immediate payment. 

You will have no-problem with no-payers!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Reading comment Boards both here and on dotCOM, it is very apparent that there are more problems with non-payers in Auctions than in Fixed Price sales.

One of the reasons that experienced sellers prefer Fixed Price listings six to one and why most Auctions do include the Buy It Now option.

Today's shopper is into Instant Gratification, and is not interested in the thrill of competing for seven days only to lose out in the last second to a sniper who bid with a service five days earlier.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply