Allowing only bids and buyers from contiguous US states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to avoid shipping to addresses in Alaska and Hawaii due to the hiked up shipping fees to these two states. The only restriction seems to be applied via countries but I certainly do not want to overlook the whole US market just to avoid these two states. I have chatted with the eBay CS team earlier but couldn't get a helpful answer. Has any Canadian eBay seller encountered similar issue or know a solution/workaround for this ?

Thanks

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Allowing only bids and buyers from contiguous US states (excluding Alaska and Hawaii)

Hi tyler@ebay  It doesn’t matter where you are registered, anyone can exclude Alaska and Hawaii but only if the listing originates on .com.  As far as I know shipping preferences don’t carry over between sites.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Use calculated shipping.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

Thanks, but I got a very a different rate on eBay from what I got through Paypal. The rates are 50-80 for Canada Post to US on eBay and I got much less through PayPal. UPS and FedEx only offer fixed rate on eBay.

With UPS standard through PayPal, it cost 3x more to Hawaii/Alaska compare to contiguous states but still less than the eBay's CP flex rate.
Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Take your time.

These should be the rates your buyer sees when you use Canada Post for Calculated Shipping.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

You may actually pay less or get an upgraded service, because your Small Business Solutions card (you have one, right?)  gives you some discounts and also includes Expedited Shipping which is only available to SBS members.

SnapShip (Canada Post), Paypal and Shippo have similar discounts. Choose the one you like best.

• PP and Shippo draw addresses and payments from eBay, SS demands a credit card and more form filling, but there are occasional premiums like Free Package October.

Very generally, Canada Post is the cheapest service, cheap enough that the couriers sub-contract to CP when they can't make a profit on a given destination.

How heavy and/or bulky are your shipments going to be?

Note that many couriers will not ship to post office boxes, but PO boxes are probably the safest possible destinations.

FWIW I ran 25x25x10 cm and 2Kg to Alaska, Florida and California. I'm in BC.

The ExpressPost price for FL and AK were identical. CA was slightly cheaper.

Many sellers use the discount to cover the cost of packaging securely.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@chamik-cg6gey wrote:
Thanks, but I got a very a different rate on eBay from what I got through Paypal. The rates are 50-80 for Canada Post to US on eBay and I got much less through PayPal.

eBay calculated shipping displays the over the counter Canada Post rate with no discounts.

PayPal uses the same discounted rate as Shippo and the Canada Post website when you buy an online shipping label. 

Under 2kg you can use Small Packet USA (no insurance) or Tracked Packet USA ($100 insurance included). Both are currently flat rate to anywhere in the USA & territories.

Over 2kg use Expedited Parcel USA (up to $1000 of insurance), cost varies depending on destination (which is when calculated shipping is most useful).

Or you can check out a services like ChitChatsExpress, DKYPost, StallionExpress, etc that will take your package across the border and let you ship using USPS domestic rates. Useful if one is located near you.

-..-

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

You’re using UPS?  As far as I know there is no way to specify the US mainland on .ca but you can do that on .com.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

What is the average size and weight of your shipments?

There is a limit to the size of packages accepted by Canada Post, but it is pretty high.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I was looking at UPS standard through netParcel as it's integrated with Paypal. Their shipping fees to the US is alot cheaper than CP's rate on their rate calculator. My package is under 1lbs and was only $10 through UPS except to Alaska/Hawaii ($25) and comes with insurance too.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Yes, UPS standard to the US.
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Under 1 lb and roughly 12"x9"x2". I am looking at UPS standard to the US and Canada Post to Canada with the latter being a fixed rate.
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Have you compared prices?

Generally the postal system is cheaper than the private couriers.

And when looking at Canada Post, always use metric. The postal system went metric in 1974 and anything else will be guesswork.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

For Canada Post's rate, small packet USA is comparable to UPS standard via netParcel but it has no insurance coverage and Track Packet USA is twice as much. I've looked at Chitchat before but they are less convenient around me and has a more complicated process when the package is undelivered/rejected.  

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

I tried the dimensions in metric again and it generated the same rate. It came out around $20 with Tracked Packet(w/ insurance) about double what UPS standard via netParcel is.

Actually, I don't have a SBS card. I've used Canada Post before only through the counter, dropping the parcel and paid at their outlet. Is there a constraint to sign up for a SBS on Canada Post ? I do have a personal account with Canada Post for getting a FELX delivery address. How much a discount could one expect for Tracked Packet with their SBS program ?

Canada Post does have its advantage as it has more outlets and I could ship with my FLEX address.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

How much a discount could one expect for Tracked Packet with their SBS program ?

It depends on how much you spend but I've found that if you are at the lowest level which I am at,  the discount is minimal for most services that I use. I  believe that tracked packet international for overseas shipping does offer significant discounts but I rarely use that service.

There aren't huge savings to the US.  A 1kg TP to the US without a SB account would be 22.47. With level 1 $20.90.

More information here..

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business/shipping-discounts.page

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Just ask for an SBS at the Post Office counter, or apply online.  Postal Outlets should be able to provide one too, but sometimes the clerk is undertrained.

There are discounts on a few shipping services and of course all three services (SnapShip/Canada Post, Paypal , and Shippo) allow you to print your labels at home.  And the Expedited service is only available with the SBS number.

I believe @lotzofuniquegoodies  uses a mixed Paypal/UPS service and is very happy with it.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

Shippo...SnapShip as required or Promos. UPS by extremely special request only.

-Lotz

PS. I stand by my claim if you dial 1 - 800- Its - Lost    you will get a UPS operator.  🙂

So ergo I am not on the UPS Christmas mailing list!!

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

Also with UPS depending on your shipment volume there "may" be pick up charges involved.

https://www.ups.com/ca/en/shipping/zones-and-rates/value-added.page?

There are  also residential handling charges for home deliveries and special handling. See attached.

https://www.ups.com/ca/en/shipping/zones-and-rates/additional.page#contentBlock-14

-Lotz

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

@chamik-cg6gey wrote:

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to avoid shipping to addresses in Alaska and Hawaii due to the hiked up shipping fees to these two states. The only restriction seems to be applied via countries but I certainly do not want to overlook the whole US market just to avoid these two states. I have chatted with the eBay CS team earlier but couldn't get a helpful answer. Has any Canadian eBay seller encountered similar issue or know a solution/workaround for this ?

Thanks

Hi @chamik-cg6gey - I've been looking into ways that you could make this happen and I'm a little stuck at the moment, maybe you can help?

My personal account was registered on .com, and when I go to My eBay>Account>Site Preferences>Shipping Preferences>Exclude shipping locations I can exclude Alaska and Hawaii from shipping without blocking the rest of the country (screenshot included below). 

Once the location is blocked you can go to your buyer requirements section (My eBay>Account>Site Preferences>Buyer Requirements) and select the checkbox for 'Block buyers in locations to which I don't ship'. That should prevent buyers with a primary shipping address in Alaska or Hawaii from buying your items.

What I can't find an example of is a .ca registered account logged into .com to see if that option is there, and I can't find an example screenshot in any of my resources. If anyone can confirm this works for them that would be great!

shipping exclusion screen from .com on a .com registered accountshipping exclusion screen from .com on a .com registered account 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@chamik-cg6gey wrote:

... Actually, I don't have a SBS card. I've used Canada Post before only through the counter, dropping the parcel and paid at their outlet. Is there a constraint to sign up for a SBS on Canada Post ?

SfSB (Solutions for Small Business) is free. You must have a valid physical postal address in Canada and an email address -- that's the only requirements as far as I know.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpc/en/business/small-business.page

Discounts at the base level 1 (under $2500 in annual shipping purchased, PayPal and Shippo labels do count towards the total) are fairly small. To see what the base SfSB level 1 discount is when using the calculator

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Click on Show minimum online savings on the 2nd page.

-..-

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

Hi tyler@ebay  It doesn’t matter where you are registered, anyone can exclude Alaska and Hawaii but only if the listing originates on .com.  As far as I know shipping preferences don’t carry over between sites.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply