Payment options

I recently started selling on eBay and I was wondering if paypal is the only payment option , personally I think paypal charges too much and they don't have any offers for small businesses so  I was wondering if I can recieve payments directly to my credit card and is it safe ? Thanks

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Payment options

It's bee a few years since we gave back our credit card machine to Moneris, but the one thing I remember was that we were charged $40 a month plus a percentage of our sales, which varied with the amount of the average sale.

That variation is why some stores refuse to accept debit or credit cards for sales under $5-$10.  They lose money on the sale with a card.

Also, if you accept a card with points or with other premiums, you are paying for the customer's moneyback.

And don't accept American Express, they will only pay you once a month, not immediately like most other cards.

Then there is the Discover card which is much used in the USA, particularly by low income people for some reason, but which is not accepted in Canada. (It is accepted by Paypal, which is a US company.)

You are paying 30 cents plus 2.9% on domestic sales, and 3.7% on foreign sales (including US).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Payment options

No, you can’t accept payments on your regular credit card.  You would need a need a credit card merchant account and that would likely cost the same or more than PayPal.  Even if that’s feasible for you, I’m not sure if eBay is allowing new sellers to set up ebay accounts so that payment goes to their merchant account as they are in the process of switching to another (Non PayPal) payment system.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Payment options

Paypal is way too expensive , 3.7 % to ship from Canada to international destinations plus 30 cent and no deals or promotions 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Payment options

It's bee a few years since we gave back our credit card machine to Moneris, but the one thing I remember was that we were charged $40 a month plus a percentage of our sales, which varied with the amount of the average sale.

That variation is why some stores refuse to accept debit or credit cards for sales under $5-$10.  They lose money on the sale with a card.

Also, if you accept a card with points or with other premiums, you are paying for the customer's moneyback.

And don't accept American Express, they will only pay you once a month, not immediately like most other cards.

Then there is the Discover card which is much used in the USA, particularly by low income people for some reason, but which is not accepted in Canada. (It is accepted by Paypal, which is a US company.)

You are paying 30 cents plus 2.9% on domestic sales, and 3.7% on foreign sales (including US).

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Payment options

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 5
latest reply