Shipping estimator undercharges Canada Post rates on listings

I called ebay today and the rep was not able to help me at all. I have been keeping tabs for several months on what ebay charges my customers and what I'm actually being charged when I print off my label through Shippo. It is always undercharging the customer. For example, yesterday I had an order where the customer was only charged $15.17 for Canada Post Expedited shipping from Ontario to British Columbia. When I went to print the label on Shippo, they wanted to charge me $19.53. Out of curiosity, I took the parcel to a Canada Post office and got the label for $19.53....so Shippo is correct. When I contacted Shippo, they advised me that they charge the Canada Post live rates based on the parcel dimensions given. I checked my listing and the dimensions and weight between ebay and Shippo are correct. This is happening every time and I'm getting sick of it. The ebay rep on the phone today told me that the shipping rates that ebay charges the customers are just "estimates". However, she could not answer when I asked her where these "estimates" are coming from. Shouldn't they just be pulling the Canada Post rates like Shippo does? It doesn't make any sense. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

That’s odd, I haven’t heard of anyone else having that problem.  The eBay calculator is not an estimate, it is based on the info given for locations n, weight and dimensions.  The eBay phone reps are based in the US and Philippines and have no idea how shipping works here so you’re unlikely to get an accurate answer from them.  

In your site preferences/shipping preferences check to make sure that there isn’t a carrier discount set up. It’s possible you had set up a discount when we actually had a noticeable shipping discount....these days its pretty slim.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Here is the response from Shippo:

Thank you for contacting us. I understand you have some concerns about the rates your buyers are selecting in eBay compared to what is available in Shippo.

eBay provides a Canada Post account to be used to fulfill eBay orders in Shippo. You register for this account during sign-up with Shippo. The rates available are standard Canada Post rates and do not provide any additional discount. These are the same rates you would receive if you purchased the postage at the Post Office.

“Shippo is a shipping solution that you may use to create your shipping labels; however, we do not provide any of the quotes available through the shipping calculator in eBay. Since we do not provide those rates in eBay, it is very difficult for us to offer an explanation as to why they are so different than what is available through the eBay Canada Post account in Shippo.

If you are concerned that the eBay rate estimator is not providing accurate rates for your buyers, I recommend contacting eBay for assistance. Please let me know if we can help with anything more in Shippo.”
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for this suggestion. How do I go about checking my shipping or courier preferences? I don’t see anything under the listings?
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I had a look at one  of your listings and the rate for expedited from London to me in Alberta is showing about the same price as I would pay to ship within Alberta so something is definitely wrong.  If there is no discount set up in your shipping preferences would you mind picking one listing and giving us the weight and dimensions that you have in that listing so we can compare the cost given to our own postal code. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@disney_fan1979 wrote:
Thank you for this suggestion. How do I go about checking my shipping or courier preferences? I don’t see anything under the listings

It isn’t on your listings, it’s in shipping preferences. Try this link...

https://www.ebay.ca/ship/prf/carrier

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

This might be helpful--

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Remember that we can still use Paypal. I print the few labels I use* directly from the notice of payment on my PP account.

Both Shippo and Paypal use Canada Post rates. When there are discounts they are the Small Business Solutions discounts that we also get from SnapShip.

SnapShip is Canada Post and we have to enter the customer's address manually and pay with a credit card, not from our PP balance.

*You can get some "reallynice" discounts on mint postage stamps right here on eBay.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

You were right! It was set up by default to include a 20% discount on shipping rates for customers. Thank you so much!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for your response. I think I figured it out and it was giving the customer a 20% shipping discount. Feel free to try it again and see if the shipping rate is now higher. Hopefully it is!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply