2016 Spring Seller Update

Hello Canadian sellers,

This is the thread reserved for discussion around the 2016 Spring Seller Update announced today.

Read about the Update here:

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/news/sprupd16/index.html

Message 1 of 220
latest reply
219 REPLIES 219

It's all too confusing for me. I prefer to sell in US dollars like all my other sites and I think I should get to choose the currency.
Message 181 of 220
latest reply

" I think I should get to choose the currency. "

You do have the choice.  If you want to sell in US$, you can do so on eBay.com

Message 182 of 220
latest reply

@sheepgal54 wrote:

@this-that-whatever wrote:

FIRST THE CURRENCY DECISION.

NOW A RATE INCREASE.

ETSY IS LOOKING BETTER EVERY DAY..

Etsy just announced a new website available to sellers for a FEE called patterns. some are jumping into it but its really just the same as an Ebay store. Its completely controlled by Etsy and you have to be registered with etsy to buy and you can't change anything unless you are on the Etsy site. They are trying to copy Ebay so don't bother moving over there.  

What about Bonanza then?

Message 183 of 220
latest reply

@arkh_angel wrote:

@sheepgal54 wrote:

@this-that-whatever wrote:

FIRST THE CURRENCY DECISION.

NOW A RATE INCREASE.

ETSY IS LOOKING BETTER EVERY DAY..

Etsy just announced a new website available to sellers for a FEE called patterns. some are jumping into it but its really just the same as an Ebay store. Its completely controlled by Etsy and you have to be registered with etsy to buy and you can't change anything unless you are on the Etsy site. They are trying to copy Ebay so don't bother moving over there.  

What about Bonanza then?

Bonanza looks like mostly fasion items. For those that don't sell much of that stuff (ex. toys) , it wouldn't work.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 184 of 220
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

A thing I don't understand... why are Fixed Prices listings increased by only 50 and the auction format by 150? I NEVER use the auction format, or very rarely, because it doesn't work for me. This is not beneficial for me at all. It should be at least 100/100. *That* would be useful...

Hi lady.stark,

The monthly free listings allotment numbers were adjusted as per what we saw that most sellers in each store category used in general. Of course, it would be impossible to set those numbers so they fit every seller's business model to the T... Sorry that this update isn't matching your specific needs.

Message 185 of 220
latest reply

@*mtgcards* wrote:

Whats the minimum listing price for stores with GTC listings.. is it still $1? Not much of a chance for me to get to 10,000 listings.  Being an Anchor store the benefit for me would be to have the minimum listing price reduced... with the current price increase i think i'm going to 100% TCGPlayer... no monthly fee, and the same sales fee's as eBay. The perks mentioned aren't perks to me...i buy my Canadian shipping at 60% of face value... the listing 'upgrades' are not going to make me any more money ... 15 yrs is a good run... eBay is not what it used to be.

There are no changes being made to the minimum pricing rule. Sorry that the perks added won't be a benefit to you.

Message 186 of 220
latest reply

@triber wrote:
In the spring seller update it gives details for the future  limited characters in the description. I don't understand the difference in the 250 character and 800 character options, and I don't know what "active content" is. 

I have "boxes" in my descriptions, will these count in the characters?

Does eBay expect us to count the characters in each description?

Hi triber,

What the announcement means is that eBay will pull a 250 character summary from your description, or that you can specify what your summary should be by using HTML tags in your description, in which case your summary can be as long as 800 characters. In any case, you can still write your description as long as you want, but you can't use active content (active content is content that requires programming to work, such as Java script or scrolling galleries). If your full description is text only and is less than 800 characters, eBay will use it in full as a summary.

Your boxes in your description are not active content, you can keep using them. However they won't show in the summary as those will be text only.

triber wrote:

I think it is a good idea for eBay to do a store option at $59.95 for 1,000 listings. I think there are a lot of sellers who would like that amount, but don't want the high cost of an anchor store, but for those sellers like me who just need the 500 listings, and that is what we signed up for, why should we be asked to pay double the fees for an amount we never wanted.

Thank you for your feedback.

Message 187 of 220
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Raphael, there are Product Reviews, and there are product reviews. I do my own in my listings. I am knowledgable about the items I sell and honest about all strengths and weaknesses. And as a consumer, I pay product reviews no heed at all. Unless they are on the manufacturer's website so that I am assured the creator of the product has already removed the useless ones. Have you actually READ any of the product reviews to be found here? I've seen none so far that add any value. Asinine at best.

I don't get to walk into ebay headquarters and put permanent marks of my opinion of your effort(s) all over your workspace, so what reason would I have to be thrilled about other people being allowed and ENCOURAGED to do this to mine?

Hi Maureen,

I don't think your comparison is fair. You absolutely do get to come to our site and post whatever you feel about us and our work on these forums and no one censors you. But that's besides the point.

Perhaps the better way to look at this is to separate the seller from the items they sell. Product reviews are reviewing items, not the seller. We won't allow reviews that talk specifically to a seller's performance. I read reviews all the time when I am considering a new purchase. There's a competitor site which I won't name that is much better equipped than eBay is in terms of user reviews. I find that quite useful and prefer to sift through the useless ones myself. Product reviews have helped me choose between options time and again. I'm personally delighted to see this feature come to eBay. 

Message 188 of 220
latest reply

@canadiangemstamps wrote:

Is the use of active content in descriptions now banned? Or is it simply the case that my scrolling gallery will not be seen by someone shopping on their smartphone? 

The difference matters to me because most of my customers are over 60 and do not do their shopping on their smartphones anyway. So if it is not banned I can go ahead and use the templates for listing that I just spent the last 2 days designing. If it is banned, then I need to know now because I will have to take the scrolling gallery out of my templates.  

Hi canadiangemstamps,

Active content will no longer be allowed in item descriptions. We are working with partners like Auctiva to ensure that they make their templates compliant with this new rule.

Message 189 of 220
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

These, for example, are part of the product reviews on a product that I currently sell here. This screen capture, however, is from another website, a different one, a competing one to ebay. Does ebay consider 'reviews' such as these to be of value? Or would they be deemed inappropriate? I'd like to know. For the record, it's a toy that I have listed at more than $150 CAD here which is selling for almost twice that elsewhere. 

jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-06 at 11.28.44 AM.png

I can't speak yet to what the rules will be to establish what is an appropriate review or not, but my gut says these would not be removed. They are not incendiary, they are opinions (which reviews are at the end of the day).

Message 190 of 220
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:
1 - A few months ago eBay did a test on some listings where they pulled out part of the description and I believe they put it where the condition box is. The info that they pulled was not always the most relevant info. Will they be pulling info for mobile the same way that they did for the test? 

I don't know enough about the test to tell you for sure if it will work the same.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

2 - Will a character count be available on the syi form so that we know how many characters we have?

Again, not quite sure about that but, if there isn't a character count, there are tons of free ones on the net.

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

3 - From the update - Because the new View Item description summary is automatically generated by eBay, no action is required from you. If you want to highlight information that isn’t captured in our auto-generated summaries, you can choose the specific listing information you want to show using more advanced HTML options

Will eBay be explaining what those more advanced HTML options are or will there be something on the syi form to indicate which information we want highlighted?

There is already some examples in the FAQ on the announcement page. Not sure what the SYI will provide though.

Message 191 of 220
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

These, for example, are part of the product reviews on a product that I currently sell here. This screen capture, however, is from another website, a different one, a competing one to ebay. Does ebay consider 'reviews' such as these to be of value? Or would they be deemed inappropriate? I'd like to know. For the record, it's a toy that I have listed at more than $150 CAD here which is selling for almost twice that elsewhere. 

jpgScreen Shot 2016-04-06 at 11.28.44 AM.png

I can't speak yet to what the rules will be to establish what is an appropriate review or not, but my gut says these would not be removed. They are not incendiary, they are opinions (which reviews are at the end of the day).

Let me pose another scenario: several times a year, I receive hate-filled messages out-of-the-blue from people who don't generally use ebay that say, essentially, 'You sir, are a jerkface. I don't think you have any right to set your prices where you have set them. I will never buy from you and anyone who does must be as big a jerk as you are'. Right now, I report those members and they are blocked but Product Reviews gives them (and everyone like them) permission to write whatever they like about what I sell without every having bought it, knowing nothing about it, and without repercussions. Product Reviews, you are saying are not moderated, unlike other sites and this one in particular.

What value as a seller do I gain by having random user reviews associated with my listing again? Especially when they can be left by anyone on the site as opposed to a verified purchaser that says 'don't buy this' just because they can? Can I respond to the review in any way? It's just adding noise and garbage to my listing. I do my own product reviews and I take care to accurately describe and depict all the items that I sell. I don't grab stuff at random to sell at my store. I am knowledgeable about the products, and they are curated. 

It's an outrage. But, accepting Product Reviews cannot be opted out and that this is a fait accomplice no matter how I, the lowly seller feels about it, I have to thank ebay once again for giving me the incentive I heretofore lacked to open an off-ebay e-commerce site of my own. I stood firmly behind this place as long as I could but the more you make it like the main competition, the less reason I have to stay here and dance to this tune. 

Message 192 of 220
latest reply

as to product reviews- those of us who have thousands of items listed do not have time to check each listing to see if there's a product review that might be eligible to be removed.

question about migrating to Canadian - how is that going to impact variation listings?  currently if I end a listing it takes me almost 30 minutes to change ONE to make sure I have all the correct photos, amounts available etc.  Will the migration retain that info so that I don't have to start from scratch because it's the only reason I'm holding off changing things over now...I have over 2000 variation listings and it's a nightmare trying to change each individually

Message 193 of 220
latest reply

beakco
Community Member

What happens if you currently have an annual shop subscription with eBay?  Does your shop structure update to the new one in May?  And if so do you have to pay more since the cost of eBay store fees are going up.

Thanks!

Message 194 of 220
latest reply

In May your store fees will automatically go up and you will receive the extra listings.

Regarding store subscriptions, the following is from the FAQ on the update:

Sellers with an annual subscription have 60 days after the Seller Release (June 5th) to change their Store level without a penalty. You may also cancel your store subscription without incurring early termination fees - if they applied. Please contact eBay customer service to change your subscription level.

Message 195 of 220
latest reply

Thanks for the reply.  My question is actually not regarding changing store levels.  Actually what I am asking is if you have a annual subscription for say a anchor store.  When the new plan rolls out, will I get another bill or will eBay honor the remaining months left over in the subscription that has already been paid.

And if that is the case.  Will these anchor stores still get 10,000 free listings or will it be 2,500 (the old plan).  I hope what I am saying makes senses and is not too confusion.

Thanks!

Message 196 of 220
latest reply

The new terms supersede any existing store subscription as of the date given by the Spring Seller Update. Your monthly bill will be adjusted to reflect the new terms. As I understand it.
Message 197 of 220
latest reply

(That's the reason sellers are being granted the limited-time offer to cancel their subscription without the early-cancel standard penalty: because eBay unilaterally changed the contract.)
Message 198 of 220
latest reply

Did the FVF on shipping change?

I noticed the other day that my fee's were a bit higher then expected. Turns out that I've been getting charged FVF for shipping based on buyer location. I though FVF for shipping was based on your first domestic option? Was this a new change for spring?

Message 199 of 220
latest reply

A seller is charged FVF on Shipping depending on the amount the buyer pays for shipping. The only time that first domestic applies that way is if it's free shipping. To the best of my knowledge and understanding.
Message 200 of 220
latest reply