Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Real help would be letting us choose our currency so we can target our specific demographic and increase our sales as we see fit for our items/stores. each individual seller is vastly different on eBay depending what you sell, where you typically ship to etc.....
Message 181 of 1,448
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@kenyboyskidog wrote:
Agreed . How about getting the shopping cart working for USA buyers to Canadian sellers ? Some of my buyers paid 10 times and I have to refund 9 times 😞
I really, really want that issue to go away, It's a tough one. We need a major upgrade to the shopping cart on eBay.com to fully resolve this, and we will continue to press for it on behalf of our sellers.

Jesus, even after the switch to everything in CAD the cart issue still won't be resolved? I can only assume an ex-CTO was involved in that debacle.

Message 182 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@canuckcoin wrote:

Unless Ebay is going to enact CAD fees that don't fluctuate with exchange this is of little help. If a someone has hundreds or thousands of listings in US Dollars and pay insertion fees in US Dollars they can properly project their costs. If I list a large number of fixed price listings in Canadian Dollars and their is a big move in exchange as we have seen in the last year, then seller faces a huge task to change pricing in all his listings to keep the margin needed to be profitable. First Ebay eliminates buying from the US with the poorly run internationahttp://community.ebay.ca/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/SellerUpdates/message-id/1174#l buying program and now this.

To us, the opposite is true. If you list in USD, you know what you're going to collect in USD. You have little idea what you'll be collecting in CAD. Unless you are paying most of your inventory costs and bills in USD, most sellers with long tail inventory will reduce inventory risk and eliminate the need to reprice their listings because of FX movements.

If you list in CAD, you know what your margin will be on your sale, today or three months from now. If you list in USD and never adjust prices on your long tail inventory, then if the CAD rises in value it eats away your margin, while if CAD drops, you get a higher than expected margin, but your item is also at risk of becoming uncompetitive.

Currency risk isn't really that big a deal to most of our sellers in most currency environments, but the larger your total sales, the more CAD mitigates risk while totally eliminating the need to keep revising prices.

Message 183 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kenyboyskidog wrote:
Agreed . right on - Guess the little guy ( you and me) are getting squeezed out .

Hope not. We love the little guys.

Message 184 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kenyboyskidog wrote:
Who cares. I prefer to list in US$ as I always have. 90% of my business is in the US. Why would I change?

To increase your sales, save on fees and be included in more targeted promotions.

Message 185 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@canuckcoin wrote:

What not just close down Ebay.ca and have all Canadian list on Ebay.com, only a very small percentage will stay and list in CAD

If we ever feel like Canadians can get as good or better an experience selling and buying on eBay.com as they can on eBay,ca, we could do exactly that.

For now and for the forseeable future, we'll keep building out the best experience we can for you on eBay.ca. But you're always welcome to list on eBay.com. Many Canadian sellers do and that is completely fine with us.

Message 186 of 1,448
latest reply

That's **bleep**.  The only reason was to punish people who sold items for 0.99 to escape sellers fees and set shipping to $100.  There is no such thing as "free shipping".   The shipping cost just has to be factored into the cost of the item.  Then that causes problems when the buyer wants to return an item stiffing the seller with the cost of the original shipping fees.

No, that's just an excuse.  And not only that, it's just plain WRONG.

Message 187 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hlmacdon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ferret-mom wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, Rodney.

If a Canadian seller chooses to list on eBay.com, I suspect that we will no longer be able to use the Canada Post shipping calculator, correct? If that is indeed the case, then sellers will either have to come up with a generic shipping cost for a small parcel (for example) or ask prospective buyers to email a request for a shipping estimate.

Either way, it will only serve to make the selling process more cumbersome and our offerings less attractive to US buyers.

Hi Ferret-mom

If you want to list using the Canada Post shipping calculator then you'll need to stay on eBay.ca and list in CAD. Calculated shipping is supported on eBay.com as well, but only for USPS shipments originating in the United States.

Does your agreement with Canada Post prevent you from allowing API access to Canadian registered accounts listing on .com? I'm sure you realize what a horrible kludge of a workaround it is to recommend Canadian sellers to list on .com without any functional calculated shipping option. If the goal is to increase conversion rates with Canadian buyers, my response as a seller who wants to stick with USD listings would unfortunately have to be to block Canadian buyers entirely for .com listings. What other choice does a seller have when domestic parcel rates vary as greatly as they do by destination?

We have no plans to build out Canada Post calculated shipping services on eBay.com. If you rely on calculated shipping, then you're really better off staying on eBay.ca. I hope you give it a shot.

You could also go to a strategy of Canadian listings on eBay.ca that ship to Canada only, and US-only listings on eBay.com. Twice the insertion fees though.

Message 188 of 1,448
latest reply

You say you are "recommending" CDN dollar.  That's not true.  You're FORCING the CDN dollar.

Message 189 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hlmacdon wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@sirspinalot wrote:

Why is this necessary? 

In a nutshell, because it's no longer true that Canadian sellers get more sales just by listing in USD, and that the fact that we have to support two currencies on one site, something that isn't the case for any other eBay site in the world, has been detrimental to our ability to roll out new features and improvements.

Is this due to the fact that eBay's infrastructure can't support multicurrency? That would explain the issues with the add to cart being broken for .ca. I'm still puzzled that this isn't something that has been pushed forward given the quantities of foreign based sellers listing on the various international sites. Multicurrency would eliminate these issues, provided your software roadmap is heading that direction.

Those are different issues. But technical complexity is part of the storyline on this change. Not the headline. But it's part of the reason.

Message 190 of 1,448
latest reply

Not with any intent to dispute your data that it is more advantageous to sell in CDN dollars today, but what if tomorrow it isn't.  Are you then going to give the option to sell in USD again?  I'd highly doubt it.  No, I'd prefer to make my own choices that you.

Message 191 of 1,448
latest reply

So for the next 6 weeks the 450 items will remain unlisted until the ebay tool is available in May.  I was doing great business with steady sales until the past month.  The lack of promos and this currency change has killed my business and waiting until May will cause even more harm.  Why didn't ebay have the currency conversion tool available BEFORE they did this???  Not impressed with the way this company is run. Smiley Sad

Message 192 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lorraine_carol wrote:
"......For the record, only a tiny fraction of all Canadian sellers are impacted by this". Can you be more specific on what genre of items being sold by this "tiny fraction" of Canadian sellers or what is exactly meant by this statement if it is not related to the genre of items. Thanks.

As a public company, we are careful about what data we release outside of our quarterly earnings announcements. This is not information we've released before. I can tell you that the share of sellers listing in USD on eBay.ca is indeed a minority use case. But even if it were tiny - it's lots of real people like the people on this thread, and many more, and we take this very seriously.

That's why we've worked hard to develop tools to help you with the change, and I hope you find them helpful in dealing with this change.

Message 193 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lorraine_carol wrote:
With all due respect, you do not think this change was decided upon by the folks at ebay Canada? Rest assured it was dictated by ebay US.

This was indeed decided by the folks at eBay Canada, and is supported by the larger org in San Jose up the chain. They reviewed our data and our rationale and agreed it is the right move for our marketplace looking ahead.  

Message 194 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@murrayw211 wrote:

Adding my voice to those extremely upset by being forced to convert to CAD. Give me the choice to do what I want, eBay. Otherwise, what's the point of giving you my business?

You still have a choice - you can list in USD on eBay.com or in CAD on eBay.ca.

Whichever you choose, we appreciate your business and I hope you stick around.

Message 195 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I tried Venture One -- maybe it's just me, but I found it complicated to use. And I would still have to know the destination of the buyer before I could give an accurate shipping quote.

Yes, the Canada Post site is a mess. Hard to use and not enough savings to make it worthwhile.

While it would be pushy of me to suggest buying discounted mint Canadian stamps** here on eBay (*cough* 80% of face*cough*), those who use Paypal labels for parcels  can get from 5% to 17% off PO counter prices without leaving their computer desk. Then just drop the labelled parcel in the post box or hand it to the PO clerk . No lineups.

** Search 'canada postage'. Look for mint never hinged.

Canada Post unfortunately doesn't have enough margin on their lettermail and oversize lettermail stream products to be able to offer us discounts. The cost of delivery mail to every part of Canada is a humongous challenge unequalled by any Postal agency on earth. China and Russia are bigger countries, but their national carriers don't serve the remote regions. Canada Post will even send your letter to CFB Alert - the northernmost human settlement on earth.

Message 196 of 1,448
latest reply

eBay Listing Migration Tool, which will be available in early May. What good is that? That tool is needed today, not in 6 weeks.

How is eBay Canada so unprepared for this change? A change that they implemented. 

eBay continues to treat it's sellers as complete garbage.

Message 197 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@rjzabinsky wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

thank you for the heads up! As of June 1st, I will no longer sell on ebay (when this policy takes effect). Almost 98% of of my clients are in the u.s. I have been selling only in usd and with this change, it is time for me to change too and end my selling on ebay. 

Sorry you feel that way. I hope you consider staying and listing on eBay.com rather than giving up those sales. Or trying CAD.

If you do decide to leave eBay, we'll still be here to welcome you back if you ever change your mind. I hope you do.

Message 198 of 1,448
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

We have no plans to build out Canada Post calculated shipping services on eBay.com. If you rely on calculated shipping, then you're really better off staying on eBay.ca. I hope you give it a shot.

You could also go to a strategy of Canadian listings on eBay.ca that ship to Canada only, and US-only listings on eBay.com. Twice the insertion fees though.

Unfortunately paying more fees is not an option at this point as the ROI would not be justified. Converting to CAD would also not provide any ROI in my case and would detrimental to my business.

I hope you guys give it a rethink in the future if there are not contractual or accounting issues as access to the API's to generate shipping costs would be beneficial for sellers using Canada post to serve .com listings as well as sellers in Canada using USPS to serve .ca listings. Flow through to paypal for shipping label generation is not needed for folks in my situation. We don't have the luxury of low shipping rates that Asian sellers use to address this concern by bundling in shipping costs and promoting as "free" shipping.

Message 199 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dimitha wrote:

If this is such a great idea, why are we, the Canadians sellers, all against it?  Is there anything we can do to change your mind?

Because you don't have access to the aggregate data that we do, and you are understandably skeptical of the data we've made publicly available. 🙂

We knew this would be upsetting for impacted sellers and it made it a tough decision. But ultimately, we're sure it's the right  one for our marketplace.

Message 200 of 1,448
latest reply