Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

@drcanadax wrote:

If I decide to change my listings to eBay.com listings, what effect will that have on my eBay.ca store?  Will I need to apply for an eBay.com store?

No, you don't need to change to a .com store. My store is on .ca and I list on both .com and .ca.

Message 101 of 1,448
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@ferret-mom wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, Rodney.

If a Canadian seller chooses to list on eBay.com, I suspect that we will no longer be able to use the Canada Post shipping calculator, correct? If that is indeed the case, then sellers will either have to come up with a generic shipping cost for a small parcel (for example) or ask prospective buyers to email a request for a shipping estimate.

Either way, it will only serve to make the selling process more cumbersome and our offerings less attractive to US buyers.

Hi Ferret-mom

If you want to list using the Canada Post shipping calculator then you'll need to stay on eBay.ca and list in CAD. Calculated shipping is supported on eBay.com as well, but only for USPS shipments originating in the United States.

Does your agreement with Canada Post prevent you from allowing API access to Canadian registered accounts listing on .com? I'm sure you realize what a horrible kludge of a workaround it is to recommend Canadian sellers to list on .com without any functional calculated shipping option. If the goal is to increase conversion rates with Canadian buyers, my response as a seller who wants to stick with USD listings would unfortunately have to be to block Canadian buyers entirely for .com listings. What other choice does a seller have when domestic parcel rates vary as greatly as they do by destination?

Message 102 of 1,448
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@sirspinalot wrote:

Why is this necessary? 

In a nutshell, because it's no longer true that Canadian sellers get more sales just by listing in USD, and that the fact that we have to support two currencies on one site, something that isn't the case for any other eBay site in the world, has been detrimental to our ability to roll out new features and improvements.

Is this due to the fact that eBay's infrastructure can't support multicurrency? That would explain the issues with the add to cart being broken for .ca. I'm still puzzled that this isn't something that has been pushed forward given the quantities of foreign based sellers listing on the various international sites. Multicurrency would eliminate these issues, provided your software roadmap is heading that direction.

Message 103 of 1,448
latest reply

"......For the record, only a tiny fraction of all Canadian sellers are impacted by this". Can you be more specific on what genre of items being sold by this "tiny fraction" of Canadian sellers or what is exactly meant by this statement if it is not related to the genre of items. Thanks.
Message 104 of 1,448
latest reply

With all due respect, you do not think this change was decided upon by the folks at ebay Canada? Rest assured it was dictated by ebay US.
Message 105 of 1,448
latest reply

Adding my voice to those extremely upset by being forced to convert to CAD. Give me the choice to do what I want, eBay. Otherwise, what's the point of giving you my business?

Message 106 of 1,448
latest reply

I tried Venture One -- maybe it's just me, but I found it complicated to use. And I would still have to know the destination of the buyer before I could give an accurate shipping quote.

Yes, the Canada Post site is a mess. Hard to use and not enough savings to make it worthwhile.

While it would be pushy of me to suggest buying discounted mint Canadian stamps** here on eBay (*cough* 80% of face*cough*), those who use Paypal labels for parcels  can get from 5% to 17% off PO counter prices without leaving their computer desk. Then just drop the labelled parcel in the post box or hand it to the PO clerk . No lineups.

** Search 'canada postage'. Look for mint never hinged.

Message 107 of 1,448
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

thank you for the heads up! As of June 1st, I will no longer sell on ebay (when this policy takes effect). Almost 98% of of my clients are in the u.s. I have been selling only in usd and with this change, it is time for me to change too and end my selling on ebay. 

Message 108 of 1,448
latest reply

If this is such a great idea, why are we, the Canadians sellers, all against it?  Is there anything we can do to change your mind?

Message 109 of 1,448
latest reply

@zome2 wrote:

Let me start by saying that, in the long list of bad ideas ebay has had over the last 10+ years, this may be worst one.

I list auctions on ebay.ca and usually at $9.99US starting price for seven day listings. 

If I want to keep that price when I'm forced to list in Canadian dollars, I will have to figure out every listing day what $9.99US is in Canadian funds on that particular day. Of course, it will never be the same amount, as exchange rates change daily. So my $9.99US photo will actually be $9.95US or $10.48US, or whatever amount depending on that day's exchange.

Do you honestly believe that this will help sales?????

Let's look at shipping. Due to the exchange fluctuation, I will no longer be able to offer a standard shipping charge for US customers. It will have to be adjusted for every batch of listings and even then, what I get paid will actually depend on which day the buyer pays me, as the paypal exchange rate, which of course is not the same as the ebay exchange rate, fluctuates several times a day.

This new policy removes all predictability from my sales and adds an extra layer of work to my already busy schedule. 

You say that your numbers show that sellers do better when listing in Canadian dollars. I would like to see where you get these "numbers" from. Because everything in my 16 year experience on ebay tells me that that claim is a load of manure. 

Normally when ebay comes out with a new rule to screw the sellers, I can see the reason behind it, as it usually means that ebay takes a bit more money from us. In this case, however, I don't see how this helps ebay in any way. This policy will undoubtedly lead to lower sales for Canadian sellers, which of course means less money for ebay. That in turn will lead to an increase in fees to make up for the shortfall. 

So whoever came up with this bright idea, I salute you. You've just managed to anger a large segment of your sellers for no gain at all.

Congratulations!

Regarding your shipping comments......It shouldn't matter what the exchange rate is that day as you will be paid in Canadian dollars and you buy your postage in Cdn dollars.  I would think that your rate would be more accurate in Cdn$ because you are paying the same amount in postage regardless of the exchange rate.

If I had a choice  I would probably want ebay to keep allowing us to list in the currency that we prefer to list in but I do understand some of their reasoning for the change. It's not to their benefit to do something that will hurt sales so I have to believe that they have done their due diligence and know that it will not hurt .ca sales.

Message 110 of 1,448
latest reply

In my 16 years on ebay.ca and ebay.com, I have found that listing in U.S. dollars has had its advantages for me.  I have found that, if a buyer wants an item, the currency makes little or no difference.  I have never had a complaint or even a question about why I use USD. 

It also find that I have more ebay.ca sales to the U.S. as they are used to paying in USD.

In the 16 years, I have done most of my buying in USD.  It will cost me money if I have to convert items purchased in USD to a CD selling price.  I find that customers tend to look at a dollar amount much more than at a currency. 

I have always found it interesting that ebay seems to always give benefits to the buyers at the expense of the seller.  Rarely is any ebay policy favorable to a seller.  I may be better off to open a retail outlet where I will be able to set my own rules - rather than have my business totally controlled by ebay.  I have always been amazed that ebay does not seem to value sellers in their business equation.  Without sellers, there are no buyers.  Of course, without buyers, there are no sellers.  The two seem to be a balance and should be weighted equally in the scheme of things.  Instead, buyers are free to take advantage of sellers - with eBay's assistance and blessing.

An example:  I do not sell to Russia.  Far too many items never arrive at their destination.  I end up refunding the payment.  Recently, I had a sale to Russia.  How did that happen when I have excluded them.  The buyer requested that his U.S. address be changed to a Russian address and ebay complied.  Now I have to pay that buyer over $30 as the item "didn't arrive".  What right did ebay have to change the address, when I had specified otherwise? 

Message 111 of 1,448
latest reply

That sounds great...in principle.  

Why do they charge fees on shipping costs again?  Oh, because of the few deadbeat sellers who take advantage of it.  And the rest of us sellers have to change our strategies for eBay. 

Message 112 of 1,448
latest reply

I still have to deal with the **bleep**py eBay.com cart issues accepting multiple eBay.ca items though.

Yes to this. Will non-Canadian buyers now be able to buy items listed on both dotCOM and dotCA using the same cart?

If not....

Will there be a clear notice given to those buyers explaining why they can't , instead of letting the seller take the blame?

And I second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth*, the request that Canadian sellers on dotCOM be exempt from the stupid media shipping cap, since Canada has no Media Rate.

*One for each of my selling IDs.

Message 113 of 1,448
latest reply

With this change it will be the DEATH of EBay.ca and the canadian sellers,the americans do not will buy in canadian dollar,with a exchange rate of 30%. ridiculus

Message 114 of 1,448
latest reply

@hlmacdon wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ferret-mom wrote:

Thanks for the clarification, Rodney.

If a Canadian seller chooses to list on eBay.com, I suspect that we will no longer be able to use the Canada Post shipping calculator, correct? If that is indeed the case, then sellers will either have to come up with a generic shipping cost for a small parcel (for example) or ask prospective buyers to email a request for a shipping estimate.

Either way, it will only serve to make the selling process more cumbersome and our offerings less attractive to US buyers.

Hi Ferret-mom

If you want to list using the Canada Post shipping calculator then you'll need to stay on eBay.ca and list in CAD. Calculated shipping is supported on eBay.com as well, but only for USPS shipments originating in the United States.

Does your agreement with Canada Post prevent you from allowing API access to Canadian registered accounts listing on .com? I'm sure you realize what a horrible kludge of a workaround it is to recommend Canadian sellers to list on .com without any functional calculated shipping option. If the goal is to increase conversion rates with Canadian buyers, my response as a seller who wants to stick with USD listings would unfortunately have to be to block Canadian buyers entirely for .com listings. What other choice does a seller have when domestic parcel rates vary as greatly as they do by destination?

I don't know what you sell but I rarely use the calculator on .ca and also sell on .com and it hasn't been a huge issue. The majority of my Canadian sales are in Ontario and Quebec so I base my shipping costs on those locations. If a purchase is made from the Nova Scotia then shipping may cost me more than what I've quoted but I make up for that when the buyer is closer to me.

Message 115 of 1,448
latest reply

If listing on .com will we still be able to print out labels with Paypal/CanadaPost or if listing on .CA in Canadian Dollars will we just add the exchange rate as a handling fee to compensate?

I suspect it will be necessary to list on .com and use VentureOne with CanadaPost to get discount.

Why now is it just because the exchange rate once allows for more profit to cover expenses. If dollar strengthens to par will EBay reverse itself.

Message 116 of 1,448
latest reply

If we list on EBay.com,it is impossible for canadian sellers to print a shipping label?????

Message 117 of 1,448
latest reply

It's impossible for me to sell to the US in $cad it's hard enough competing with our more expensive shipping costs.

95% of my customers are US based, Americans don't like converting currencies.

All this is going to do is force Canadians to sell on EBay.com and it will kill EBay.ca

Message 118 of 1,448
latest reply

Will it not be necessary to add a handling charge equal to conversion rate to break even ?
If listing on .com will it be neessary to use Venture one at post office to get discount.
Message 119 of 1,448
latest reply

I don't print shipping labels through EBay anymore, I tend to list more and more in EBay.com and flat rate my shipping.
For larger items I'm finding UPS is usually cheaper than CP, setting up a UPS acct is easy and you get a 20% discount.

I sell used car parts from the 70's and virtually all of it goes south.

Paying a tithe on shipping is my biggest gripe since I rarely break even on shipping costs before the Lb of flesh is taken...it's becoming harder and harder to sell as a Canadian.
We are already competing against a neighbour with 10 times the population..
Message 120 of 1,448
latest reply