Retirement of USD from eBay.ca Selling Flows

Hello Canadian sellers,

This thread is open for discussion regarding the recent announcement about eBay Canada retiring USD support from its selling flows. Myself and other employees will come visit this thread and do our best to answer any questions on this topic.

Message 1 of 1,448
latest reply
1,447 REPLIES 1,447

Anonymous
Not applicable

@citystampmontreal wrote:
If I move my items to ebay.com and list in us currency, will i still be able to charge sales tax to Canadians? Currently the sales tax table i see is for us states not canadian provinces.

Great question!

Thanks for asking.

The answer is yes. If you set up entries in your tax table on eBay,ca, sales tax will be applied whenever you sell an item to a Province or Territory with an entry in your tax table, even if you list on eBay.com.

On minor difference is that you will no longer see the option to opt out of the tax table on an individual listing. So if you ever need to sell something that is tax exempt, list that one on eBay.ca.

Hope that helps.

Message 161 of 1,448
latest reply

@aligolf wrote:
4 sure am on page 7 and have only found 2 positives

Yeah, I'd like to correlate that against the "stats" that eBay claims makes this forced change good for us.

Message 162 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@forester_studios wrote:

I have hundreds of items to relist.  How can I bulk relist them from US to Can $$$???  I'd like to use the current promo, but it will take days to relist because of this change!!!  Not happy why didn't ebay warn sellers in advance. 

Great question!

You'll have a tool to help you bulk relist and convert currencies. You can read more about it here. http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/migration-tool-usd-listings.html.

Safe to assume there will be more promotions to come if you can't take advantage of this one just yet.

You'll still be able to list in USD on eBay.ca until the end of May if you wish, so we've provided a couple months of notice in this case.

Hope that helps a bit. Sorry you'll need to convert those listings, but hopefully you will find the migration tool helpful.

Message 163 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/migration-tool-usd-listings.html

@mjwl2006 wrote:
They have created a tool to assist in the transition. The information about that is in the links from the original announcement.

Message 164 of 1,448
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@forester_studios wrote:

I have hundreds of items to relist.  How can I bulk relist them from US to Can $$$???  I'd like to use the current promo, but it will take days to relist because of this change!!!  Not happy why didn't ebay warn sellers in advance. 

Great question!

You'll have a tool to help you bulk relist and convert currencies. You can read more about it here. http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/migration-tool-usd-listings.html.

Safe to assume there will be more promotions to come if you can't take advantage of this one just yet.

You'll still be able to list in USD on eBay.ca until the end of May if you wish, so we've provided a couple months of notice in this case.

Hope that helps a bit. Sorry you'll need to convert those listings, but hopefully you will find the migration tool helpful.

How is that tool going to handle shipping and will there be a sandbox mode for actually testing listings before they go live. Forgive me if I am somewhat apprehensive after years of turbo lister bugs cocking up my listings and many hours of fixing said bugs.

Message 165 of 1,448
latest reply

how do you covert a listing from eBay.ca to eBay.com?

I have numerous listings that I have sold several hundred items and that has huge impact on my sales.

Message 166 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tch_ca wrote:
I list in both and it matters. Secondly I like the ability to sell in both currencies because I also buy in both currencies. In this stupid scenario and if I want to continue to operate in two currencies, I'm left with the following options. Either I list on .ca and only deal in CDN funds and loose money on two way conversions. List on .com and loose the ability of PayPal shipping/labeling AND also loose on conversions. Use two separate IDS which will now require a buildup of an account with feedback that took 10 years to acquire and the management of two separate accounts and payment for TWO premium stores. Not to mention selling tools that have a completely different interface. The whole thing is ridiculous.

You don't need a new account. The one you already have will work on both eBay.com and eBay.ca.

You can still print labels from your .com listings if you go to My eBay on eBay.ca.

Foreign exchange fees are part of every foreign exchange process that exists. Our ex-colleagues at PayPal make fees on foreign exchange, just like all payment companies and banks do. They provide a service.

For many of us, one of the big advantages of selling on eBay is the ability to reach US and other INTL buyers. You are almost certainly always going to pay fees for international transactions, not just on eBay but in business in general. It's the cost of reaching beyond our borders.   

Message 167 of 1,448
latest reply

rodney@ebay.com wrote:.

We will not be providing Canadian shipping on eBay.com. Our advice to most sellers is to stay on eBay.ca, use eBay.ca's branded shipping services from Canada Post, FedEx or UPS, and list in CAD. But there's nothing wrong with listing on eBay.com if that's what you prefer to do.

Can you explain the rationale for this given guidance is to migrate to .com and there is no workable calculated shipping option if one does that? It's certainly not difficult to implement the API's from a technical point of view and limit them to users registered in country x.

Message 168 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry you're so upset.

I hope the migration tool will make the conversion process much easier for you. You can read more about it at http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/list-in-cad/migration-tool-usd-listings.html.

Message 169 of 1,448
latest reply

Can you at least stop saying it will be better for us sellers . It will not. It is not. Another hurdle preventing me from bringing awesome deals to my loyal customers. Really other then simplifying ebays selling platform for eBay, it does not benefit me in any way, in fact I will have to review My whole business. Truth is if something sells for 150 I get 150 whether it is a Canadian listing auction or USD, and that loss is not viable and frankly the only reason most of us even can make it work is because we can list USD. I have done over 20,000 in Sales in less than a year and pay all my fees yet it seems it is one thing after another. Is eBay trying to frustrate away Canadian sellers? I really don't get how they have talked to sellers I have done over 30k in sales this year, and this is the first I have heard of this.
Are there other online auction sites available that we can listen USD?
Message 170 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mcrlmn wrote:

Over the previous year, listing is US currency has provided 22% more sales for me.

Glad to hear it. Please keep doing so if you think it's working best for you. You can keep using USD if you list on eBay.com.

Message 171 of 1,448
latest reply

What a bloody joke! Another reason to hate dictatorial eBay! You haven't supplied a valid reason for this order. Wish I had a penny for every time I've said "I hate eBay" to myself, I'd be rich.

Message 172 of 1,448
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

In this case, the decision was made after several rounds of focus groups and discussions with Canadian sellers. 

Seriously, which Canadian sellers? None of us active members have been invited... why? Because we don't share your point of view and don't believe in your so called "research"?

Message 173 of 1,448
latest reply

@quebec68 wrote:

If we list on EBay.com,it is impossible for canadian sellers to print a shipping label?????

You can  already print a Canada Post shipping label for an eBay.com sale.

I always make sure I'm signed into eBay.ca or my Canadian PayPal when I go to ship.

Message 174 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@this-that-whatever wrote:
Well that is totally useless having Usps for Canadian sellers.
Get a brain..

LOL. Just telling you what's available on eBay.com.

A surprisingly large number of Canadian sellers actually ship forward deployed inventory from inside the US using USPS.

Message 175 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@our*goodies*shop wrote:
Ask me if I feel like adding new listings right now?

Sorry we made you unhappy with our announcement today, I hope you stay with us on eBay.

Message 176 of 1,448
latest reply

eBay doesn't care if we lose money, they are also losing money they would Make from the fees. To add insult to injury you start this thread after the decision has been made without any consultation clearly. That is the real LOL!!!!'
Message 177 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@recped wrote:

I have a question and I do not have any "rant" included!

I do prefer to list in US Dollars and up until 2007 I listed exclusively on .com. I use flat rate generic shipping options, have US based banking arrangements, US mailing address etc.

I have one problem that was the cause of my switch to .ca in 2007. I sell in Media category and the shipping caps are incompatible with foreign sellers listing on .com

Obviously this decision to eliminate dual currencies on .ca is set in stone. I understand the rationale, it does make sense. If not for the shipping cap issue it would be a very simple switch to .com for me.

Any chance Canadian sellers could be exempt from the shipping cap requirement in the few categories it affects? Unlike domestic US sellers the Calculated Shipping workaround does not work for Canadians listing on .com

I'd have to say that since fees on shipping were introduced most of the rationale for shipping caps went away.

Thanks for raising this. I am not familiar with this issue - though I suspect my team will tell me tomorrow they are well acquainted with it, I promise I will look into this issue. If it turns out there is something - anything - I can do to help remove a barrier for you, I'll do it.

Message 178 of 1,448
latest reply

@rogerrabbitanddoe wrote:

If listing on .com will we still be able to print out labels with Paypal/CanadaPost or if listing on .CA in Canadian Dollars will we just add the exchange rate as a handling fee to compensate?

I suspect it will be necessary to list on .com and use VentureOne with CanadaPost to get discount.

If listing on .ca and using calculated shipping, you already have the correct shipping cost for the USA (if you set it up correctly), no need to inflate unless you looking to make some money on shipping.

If listing on .com you can buy your Canada Post shipping through paypal -- no need to use Solutions for Small Business (Venture One's new name) -- the paypal discounts are usually better, unless you are shipping more than 900 parcels/year, then a commercial contract with Canada Post is worth looking at.

-.-

Message 179 of 1,448
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kenyboyskidog wrote:
Agreed . How about getting the shopping cart working for USA buyers to Canadian sellers ? Some of my buyers paid 10 times and I have to refund 9 times 😞
I really, really want that issue to go away, It's a tough one. We need a major upgrade to the shopping cart on eBay.com to fully resolve this, and we will continue to press for it on behalf of our sellers.
Message 180 of 1,448
latest reply