Buyer requests refund but does not deserve one

I recently sold an expensive collectible ($550.00) to a buyer in the U.S.; I live in Canada.  He requested a refund stating the item was not as described, but in his message he acknowledged that the item was as described, there is just a feature of it that he was not aware of and he didn't like.  This is how the product is supposed to be and this is how it was manufactured.  Two different eBay agents told me that seller protection would cover me and that I would not have to accept a return, but when I was transferred to returns, I got a completely different story.  I was told I would have to accept the return because it was protocol, and if I didn't accept it, I would lose my money and the buyer would get to keep the item.  I very reluctantly agreed because I felt like I had no choice.  The agent told me that a return label had been sent to the buyer.  Three days later, the buyer opened a case against me (the return request had turned into a case).  When I spoke to an agent, they said that I would need to send them a shipping label myself or send them money so they can buy a label themselves.  I wanted to know if I had any other options as I think it is really unfair that I have to go through this, especially since the buyer has admitted that the item was actually as described.  The agent told me I could appeal the decision after the case is closed, and she assured me that I would win because the buyer has admitted that the item was as described.  This seems very risky to me seeing as I have gotten conflicting information from different agents so far.  Do you think I would have a good case for appeal?  

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Whether or not the customer "deserves" a refund is irrelevant...always follow the return/refund process as set out by eBay as phone conversations are generally meaningless and often lack factual knowledge of the process> > The return/refund process as set out by eBay, is for the protection of both buyer & seller:

https://www.ebay.ca/sellercentre/protections/returns

Tell the buyer to open an eBay dispute.

You will be told tosend return shipping,

Youcan buy USPS shipping labels through Shippo or pirateship.

When you get it back undamaged, refund.

The cost of shipping is tax deductible.

Relist. Resell.

Because-- hammers exist.