What do you do when a winning buyer claims they did not bid?

So this is my second time selling on ebay and so far both experiences have been bad. My first auction the buyer wouldn't pay or communicate. I re-listed the item wasting more time. 

Today I have a buyer who finally got in touch after invoicing, reminder invoicing and direct messaging. This is the response I got when I reminded them that they didn't pay yet and that I'd open a non-paying bidder complaint if they didn't respond in 48 hrs. 

"I just seen where I won this I never bid on it as you can see I have very good feedback. I don't know what happened or who used my account to bid on this but I apologize for the miscommunication and I hope you understand."

Does this seriously happen? When I bid on ebay I know I've bid, you get the notices and everything, so I find it a little hard to swallow. I'm wondering what other sellers do in this situation, how would you respond? What steps would you take? 

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Not every transaction is successful, but you are having bad luck.

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.ca/

You have two choices, since the bidder is never going to pay.

If you are feeling gracious, you can send her a Mutual Cancellation request. When she agrees, both of you are released from the transaction, and you get your fees back. Both of you can leave feedback, so only use this if she is polite and friendly. This should never be used if the bidder is belligerent or condescending.

MCs will also close by themselves if the bidder never responds. It just takes a bit longer.

The alternative is the Unpaid Item Dispute. The bidder must either pay up (in which case you ship promptly and probably spring the extra for Confirmation of Delivery) or more likely she gets a Strike for non-payment. Neither can leave feedback.

This takes four days before the Dispute can be opened and four days before it can be closed.

I'd go for the UID on both cases. Both bidders deserve Strikes especially the first one.

BTW, by relisting the first item without resolving the non-payment, you put yourself in a tricky position. Always end a transaction before relisting.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

When you sell, do the following when the listing is over even if the buyer claims they didn't bid or their child did it or any number of excuses they give for not paying:

1. Send an invoice if the buyer hasn't paid immediately.

2. Wait for payment.

3. If no payment has been received by the 4th day after end of sale, start the unpaid item process.

4. If confirmed payment has been received within 4 days of starting the unpaid item process, close the dispute indicating

payment has been received and send the item.

5. If no payment has been received by the 4th day of opening the dispute, close the dispute indicating payment has not been received. The buyer gets an unpaid item strike and you get your final value fee credit. Then you relist the item.

6. Add the buyer to your blocked bidders list.

7. Never relist an unpaid item until after you have completed the transaction with the non payer. The first part of the transaction isn't complete until you either get paid or get your final value fee credit. You could end up with 2 buyers for one item if you do not wait.

You should have your buyer requirements in My Ebay, Account, Site Preferences set to block bidders with 2 or more unpaid item strikes in the past 12 months.

If it has been less than 32 days since your first unpaid item, file an unpaid item dispute against that buyer.

Notice in the above, I never mentioned sending the buyer payments reminders? That's because you should never ask for payment. As you have seen, it's just a waste of time. Just file the dispute instead of sending reminders or additional invoices.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply