What can be done about this guy?

Purchased a item and paid $19.97 for postage. The buyer would not upload the tracking number when asked, because he charged me $19.97 but mailed it with a $1.00 stamp. I got the item, but felt kind of ripped off because of what I was overcharged. I tried to give the seller a chance to make it right, but also threatened to leave negative feedback if they did not attempt to make it right.  They said they did not give 2 F's about negative feedback, so they left me a positive feedback that says this. "Beware doucebag scam buyer!!!" Can anything be done about this? or should I just be happy I got my item but got ripped off $18.97? Can I report this seller somehow?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

I can't say either of you come off well in this.

The(seller) would not upload the tracking number

Tracking is a Seller Protection. It has no value to the buyer.

he charged me $19.97 but mailed it with a $1.00 stamp.

But you agreed to the total cost for the item, including shipping.

Because he did not use a tracked service, he opened himself to a false Not Received claim.

felt kind of ripped off ... threatened to leave negative feedback if they did not attempt to make it right.

And besides being very impolite, you opened yourself to a Feedback Extortion defect.

They said they did not give 2 F's about negative feedback,

Also impolite, but accurate enough.

EBay does not use FB to assess member accounts.

left me a positive feedback

False positives can be reported to eBay. They not only will be removed, but the seller may get a Defect for leaving int.

or should I just be happy I got my item but got ripped off $18.97?

You didn't get ripped off.

You received the item in a reasonable time. You have no complaint about the item, and you seem to have felt the total cost (including the shipping charge) was worthwhile.

Both you and the seller are getting your panties in a twist and twisting right into a hole in the ground.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

As said earlier by femmefan, tracking is more for the seller's protection. But a good seller in my mind will provide the tracking number to the buyer.

You agreed to the amount you paid and you have no grounds to complain to eBay unless the seller specifically stated on the selling page the parcel would be sent with a higher class of delivery or tracked. If they did not, then you have grounds. Considering the message you sent to the seller it made you look like you were extorting him. He can now turn around and use that against you.

Both of you come off looking bad.

I would recommend you contact eBay to have his positive feedback removed and then walk away. Make sure you add this seller to your block list.

In case he reports you, keep your exchanges saved, you may need it.

byto253
Community Member

Do check the shipping service that was stated in the listing.  If it said a specific service such as Canada Post parcel and it was sent by letter mail that is concrete misrepresentation that you can make a case on.  If it was just generic like "economy shipping" or said lettermail, there is not much of a case.