has anyone had a person request a return after 30 days, saying the item was received broken in the m

I shipped a china item to someone Mar 21...it was securely wrapped with layers of bubble wrap in a strong box. Now on April 23 I get an email from her with a picture that the platter is broken and she wants a return... I am not sure what to do, as surely if I received a broken item, I would deal with it immediately...not 30 days later...any advice ? I shipped it using Ebay postage as well..do I have any recourse with USPS ?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

has anyone had a person request a return after 30 days, saying the item was received broken in the m

Er.... what does your Return policy state? Is it within the acceptable time period or not? If it is, you have no choice but to accept a Return. If it is outside of your Return, I would thank them most kindly for their business but decline the Request. Be sympathetic. But cite your policy.

I suspect, as do you no doubt, that in reality, the buyer received this piece of China in good order, admired it for 29 days and then their grandson knocked it over on the 30th. That's his mother's problem to fix, not yours. 

That being said, it is not impossible that it really happened the way the buyer said it did.

As to how USPS handles claims on China, you will have to investigate that. We're in Canada using Canada Post and our rules may be different. Although I am not a China seller, I know there are some items which are not eligible for insurance due to their fragility and dishes may be one of them.

Is this an item that you regularly sell? With breakables, padding isn't enough, you have to provide stability within the parcel. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Er.... what does your Return policy state? Is it within the acceptable time period or not? If it is, you have no choice but to accept a Return. If it is outside of your Return, I would thank them most kindly for their business but decline the Request. Be sympathetic. But cite your policy.

I suspect, as do you no doubt, that in reality, the buyer received this piece of China in good order, admired it for 29 days and then their grandson knocked it over on the 30th. That's his mother's problem to fix, not yours. 

That being said, it is not impossible that it really happened the way the buyer said it did.

As to how USPS handles claims on China, you will have to investigate that. We're in Canada using Canada Post and our rules may be different. Although I am not a China seller, I know there are some items which are not eligible for insurance due to their fragility and dishes may be one of them.

Is this an item that you regularly sell? With breakables, padding isn't enough, you have to provide stability within the parcel. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Was this the Villeroy & Boch FLORA Wild Rose Bread & Butter Dessert Plate Germany -new (2)? 

That sold March 27. It is still within the 30 day MoneyBack Guarantee. Your No Returns policy doesn't equal no refunds. What it means is that if there is a problem with the transaction, you send  a refund but don't get the item back. All it saves you from is remorse returns. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Ebay backed me up on this and agreed that it was unreasonable to say that something arrived broken 30 days later. I
am thankful for their support.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply