using old postage

Question to my philatelic friends:

I use old postage on all my ebay sendings.  Has worked well for years.  When I mosey up to the Post Office with my first class lettermail to Canada, it has 92c of good collectable stamps on it ready to mail.  I have never had a problem - until today when a cranky postmistress in an actual Post Office (not an outlet) said I needed $1.07 postage unless I had a booklet stamp on it.  I know they made a change a few years ago to the split pricing on over the counter sales - you pay a surcharge to buy a single stamp - but I also remember we looked into it and confirmed this price was only for over the counter sales.  I even remember reading it somewhere in the bowels of the Canada Post Policy manual.  Now however, I can't find it.  I called the Canada Post help desk and they canvassed the room and they think that you need $1.07 postage for prepaid mail, but they didn't sound convinced.  I am certainly open to being wrong and being guilty of underpaying postage for the last few years (and never having any sent back or not delivered) but any ideas from out there?

View Entire Topic
marnotom!
Community Member

While Pitney Bowes may not be regarded too highly by many Canadian eBay users because of its involvement with the Global Shipping Program, once upon a time its bread and butter was sales of postage and postage meters.

I received something in the mail the other day with 90 cents metered postage.  This guide from Pitney Bowes' Canadian operations says that that's a two-cent savings over the amount of postage on an item using paper stamps:

https://www.pitneybowes.com/ca/en/support/rate-change-home/postal-announcements.html

My question to you is why even bother taking the item to a human being when you could just drop it in a mailbox?  😃