When a buyer opens a case through the ebay money back guarantee, does the seller ever win the case?

I recently sold a ring and stated no returns in my listing. The buyer recieved and claimed item was not as described through the ebay money back guarantee because It didn't meet his expectations I'm assuming. The buyer didn't message me first asking if i would let him return it as i would of then agreed as long as he covered the shipping because my listing was completely 100% accurate. Now he is going to open the case with ebay and if he wins, then I am having to pay for shipping etc and it doesnt seem fair. I requested proof to his claim and he refused. Has anyone had this problem and has a seller ever won a case?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

When a buyer opens a case through the ebay money back guarantee, does the seller ever win the case?

You shot yourself in the foot by saying "no returns'.

No returns is not the same thing as 'no refunds'. What you said was 'I never want to see this again.'

Words are important.

In the dispute, tell the buyer and eBay/Paypal that you will issue a full refund on return.

The buyer then should be returning the item (for his sake with tracking, which is expensive) before YOU issue the refund.

YOU issue the refund because if you don't, PP will and then come after you for their money. There will be other fallout for you.

Do this immediately because these things move fast.

For your other listings, go to Revise and change No Returns to 14 day returns.

This is friendlier. You can't know how many good sales you missed when a potential buyer decided 'no returns' was not worth the risk. (Bad buyers don't care, they already know if you take PP you make refunds).

It is still possible that PP will make the refund fast, not ask the buyer to return your item (which you could then relist) and come after you.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I am going through this now. Buyer claims the item is defective, four days before he w-mail me asking how it worked, a router and then did the claim. I have a no return policy but p/p refund system basically trumps all and the buyer can simply change their mind and ebay will side with the buyer.

I offered to fly out and set the system up to prove it works, but then I wanted to be compensated and issued an apology, no go.

I said to ebay I will fly down to San Jose and prove it works, and when I do, I want to be compensated and an apology issued, no go.

For honest sellers ebay and paypal is high risk!

Customer service centre in the Philippines is a nightmare to deal with!

Good luck

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You're so busy fighting the battle you have forgotten the point is to win the war.

I don't know about you, but I'm here to make money. Perhaps not on every sale, but at the end of the month and certainly at the end of the year.

Tell the technodolt to return the router in the original packaging (because otherwise he will screw that up too). He should be using tracking for his own sake. You don't really care.

EBay does allow a reasonable restocking charge, but I believe this has to be noted in the original  description. I'm not sure.

When you get it back, refund him.

Done.

Now with any luck you have a saleable item and can move on.

If you don't, it's a cost of doing business. Maybe it can be sold for parts.

Accepting the return is a lot cheaper than flying anywhere. To say nothing of the waste of your time and his.

He doesn't know how to use it. He doesn't want to own it.

He can leave feedback.

He can trash your DSRs which is a lot more important.

And at the end you would not have the money nor the router.

Win the war.

Well, maybe I'm not a fancy gentleman like you, with your... very fine hat. But I do business. We're here for business.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 4 of 4
latest reply