can a canadian sell on ebay with POD in the US?

Hi 

I'm Canadian and interested in expanding to eBay. Currently, I'm selling on Etsy and Shopify, and my POD provider is located in the US.

Is it possible for Canadians to sell on eBay and ship from the US?

I understand that I can't open a US-based account. Is there an option to indicate that I'm shipping from the US, so the buyer won't be misled?

thx

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Is it possible for Canadians to sell on eBay and ship from the US?

Yes.

The LOCATION you will be asked for is the location of the GOODS, not your own.

You will be required to register in Canada and to open a Managed Payments account.

The latter means providing eBay with your chequing account information plus government issued identification. I used my passport , DH used his driving license.

MP is run by the same firm that runs etsy's payment system.

And since your stock is in the USA you  should list on dotCOM not on dotCA, since that will allow you to ship using the US shipping choices.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Yes it is possible for a Canadian to sell here and ship from the US. You set up the 'shipping from' location on the listing so that the buyer sees where the item is located. 

I'm not familiar with how POD works but keep in mind that if you're  paying them for your product in $US then you might want to list on .com (you still register on .ca) so that you can list in the same currency.  If you do sell in $US though and have a $C bank account eBay will charge a conversion fee each sale.   Or you can open a $US Canadian chequing account though that does seem to be a problem for some.

POD = 0 protection to the seller as items are "drop shipped" from the supplier, not shipped to the customer by the seller, but the seller is still responsible for anything and all that can go wrong with the finished product....

eBay is not known to be "seller-friendly" for those using drop-shipping methods...

perhaps check out the .COM forums for additional information regarding POD selling and a visit to this recent thread from the .COM board may be of some interest:

POD address problem - The eBay Community

Although I know very little about the rules for selling POD on eBay,  I do know that Etsy is over-saturated with POD items, and I suspect eBay may also have an over-abundance of these over-priced, poor quality items...so perhaps one should consider this before contemplating such a move to another selling venue.

youtube videos that show POD as an easy get-rich quick venture are so full of falsehoods, and deception and don't tell the real story...

Successful online selling is about the product, its uniqueness, quality, supply & demand, target market, etc...so be sure to do your research fully before entering the eBay world as a seller...

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/default/ebays-rules-policies?id=4205