insurance over 200.00 expedited from Canada to USA does that meant a signature is automatic?

I sent an item value of 820 from Canada to USA. Paid insurance for 800 expedited and the buyer states they haven't received it but shows delivered on the tracking. Not sure what to do and also with purchasing insurance of 800 doesn't that mean a signature is automatically required? The girl at the post office did all the work as I just showed the address from my phone. I'm stressed out and not sure as I looked to see on the website. Heading to the post office tomorrow but mostly gonna get a run around answer like everything else. The item shows it was received Dec 28th but it's January 19th. Could the buyer be lying about receiving it? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Expedited USA dirpes not have the option of getting a signature.  As another poster mentioned, Xpresspost US automatically includes it.

The buyer could be lying or the item may have been delivered to the wrong address. Ask the buyer to check with their post office as the package should have GPS showing where it was scanned as delivered.  

Canada post will sometimes pay an insurance claim if the recipient agrees that they didn't receive the item even though their is tracking showing delivery.   But there is no guarantee and they may not do that for international.

@foreve-8287 wrote:
I sent an item value of 820 from Canada to USA. Paid insurance for 800 expedited and the buyer states they haven't received it but shows delivered on the tracking. Not sure what to do and also with purchasing insurance of 800 doesn't that mean a signature is automatically required? The girl at the post office did all the work as I just showed the address from my phone. I'm stressed out and not sure as I looked to see on the website. Heading to the post office tomorrow but mostly gonna get a run around answer like everything else. The item shows it was received Dec 28th but it's January 19th. Could the buyer be lying about receiving it? Thanks.

@foreve-8287 

For future reference here is a link to the CP shipping services and what is included or with an additional charge.

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/business/shipping/canada/compare.page

Link for USA/Intl

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/personal/sending/parcels/compare-services-internationa...

Xpresspost to USA signature is included n/c

-Lotz

Has the customer opened a Not Delivered claim with eBay?

Do not encourage them to do so.

For a purchase of that value , eBay demands Signature Confirmation.

So will Paypal and probably the credit card if the buyer goes to chargeback.

Ugh.

Give the buyer the Tracking Number showing Delivery.

Cross all your fingers and toes.

Tell the buyer to ask everyone in their household. Someone may have put it where it couldn't possibly get lost.

Tell the buyer to take the tracking number to their PO and ask to see the information they have about delivery.

Some carriers take pictures of the actual delivery. The buyer may learn it was delivered to a neighbour or a different street.

Start an insurance claim with the post office. This does not necessarily need your buyer but let them know that you have done this and ask politely that they cooperate when the postal inspectors call. (The postal inspector part is there for the 'fear of God' factor. The USPS inspectors have a reputation.)

Best wishes.

It depends on the service, not the insurance.

It's not always available.

But Signature Confirmation is a purchased option.

"You must select Signature at the time of shipping to ensure it’s properly captured and linked to the unique tracking number. Buying the Signature option is mandatory for Additional Liability Coverage."

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/support/articles/parcel-services-shipping-in-canada/si...

This should have been sent with xpresspost usa. No signature for an  $800 sale means ebay will not help you. The buyer will win the case. We are guessing they knew this already before doing the buy.

Its a no cost scam for them to keep trying. If it did arrive and had to sign for then their backup plan is make an item not as described claim and get 100% back that way at the sellers expense. We have had a few like that. Surprised them with ups sig required and that was their response. Stuck with shipping cost both ways and customs dinged us on the way back despite it saying MERCHANDISE RETURN all over it and had to fight that for 2 months. Got it back in the end.