Shippo - no light packet-temporary discount on small packet

Light packet is still available if I print a label through Ebay but according to a message that I received from eBay about trying out the Shippo platform, Canada Post won't be offering light packet anywhere other than at the post office/outlets. But from now until January 15, Shippo will offer a discount for up to 25% on small packet so that the price is more similar to light packet.   Canada Post usually comes out with new prices about that time so I wonder if they are planning on  eliminating light packet  everywhere at that time.

The message also states that we will be able to print USPS return labels through Shippo.

for a small fee.I won't mind paying a fee for that as it will be much nicer to be able to send a label than money for a label.

I wonder if we will also be able to print non ebay labels like we used to be able to do on paypal/shipnow.

I haven't registered for Shippo yet but am curious to see how it works. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is ALL about using mail service with tracking number and also it will protect you.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

It is ALL about using mail service with tracking number and also it will protect you.

Small Packet has a bar code and number, but it does not count for tracking.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Light packet is still available if I print a label through Ebay but according to a message that I received from eBay about trying out the Shippo platform, Canada Post won't be offering light packet anywhere other than at the post office/outlets. But from now until January 15, Shippo will offer a discount for up to 25% on small packet so that the price is more similar to light packet.   Canada Post usually comes out with new prices about that time so I wonder if they are planning on eliminating light packet  everywhere at that time.

I'm always wary of weasel words when they say "up to"

To the USA comparison IF eBay shipping via Shippo gets a 25% discount for Small Packet:

000-250g ..  6.46 Small Packet (Air) if discounted 25%

000-200g ..  6.84 Light Packet

251-500g ..  8.47 Small Packet (Air) if discounted 25%
201-300g ..  8.60 Light Packet
000-250g ..  8.61 Small Packet (Air)
251-500g .. 11.29 Small Packet (Air)
301-500g .. 11.75 Light Packet

501g-1kg .. 12.62 Small Packet (Air) if discounted 25%
501g-1kg .. 16.82 Small Packet (Air)

Seems too good to be true.

Light packet has always been the orphan child at Canada Post because it is not treated as a parcel but as lettermail (different departments).  One possible reason for it disappearing as an eBay choice is that Shippo is strictly a parcel interface company, while Pitney-Bowes also does lettermail.

Light Packet will likely remain for over-the-counter (although perhaps with a different name). The UPU 2018 rule changes for lettermail will go into effect, classing cross border lettermail into documents and into goods.  Light packet will be for the "goods" side of things.

* UPU - Union postale universelle

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 8.40.26 AM.png

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

"I'm always wary of weasel words when they say "up to".  [...] 
Seems too good to be true."

_________________________________________________________________________________

No kidding.  We'll see how this actually translates in reality.  

As someone who relies a lot on Light Packet, this will be an important point to watch.  The great advantage to Light Packet for me has been the single international rate.  Small Packet rates to far-flung places (like NZ and Australia) are ridiculously high already.  25% off won't get those rates anywhere near Light Packet.  

"Light packet has always been the orphan child at Canada Post because it is not treated as a parcel but as lettermail (different departments).  One possible reason for it disappearing as an eBay choice is that Shippo is strictly a parcel interface company, while Pitney-Bowes also does lettermail."

Yes, you could be right with this.  

"Light Packet will likely remain for over-the-counter (although perhaps with a different name)."

I see that Paypal's label service still offers Light Packet, although whether that will continue once Paypal completely separates from eBay remains to be seen.  Since Light Packet has no discounts anyway, the main advantage to being able to print labels for Light Packet (apart from the international single rate) is saving on trips to the P.O. 

"The UPU 2018 rule changes for lettermail will go into effect, classing cross border lettermail into documents and into goods.  Light packet will be for the "goods" side of things."

Hopefully then this would mean that Light Packet would continue to be offered by parcel labeling services like Shippo if we're lucky. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:
....Small Packet rates to far-flung places (like NZ and Australia) are ridiculously high already.  25% off won't get those rates anywhere near Light Packet....."

I've never thought the rate to New Zealand or Australia to be 'high' for Small Packets Airmail. It's within the $10-12 range for items up to and including 250 g.

$11.54 CAD to be exact for Small Packets Airmail via CPC.

The same package via Light Packet to Australia is coming up at $13.46.

With the 25 per cent discount carrot being dangled, Small Packets Airmail to Australia is clearly your better deal.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e2s3

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:
@ypdc_dennis wrote:

"I'm always wary of weasel words when they say "up to".  [...]

_________________________________________________________________________________

No kidding.  We'll see how this actually translates in reality.  

As someone who relies a lot on Light Packet, this will be an important point to watch.  The great advantage to Light Packet for me has been the single international rate.  Small Packet rates to far-flung places (like NZ and Australia) are ridiculously high already.  25% off won't get those rates anywhere near Light Packet.

Actually, it will, if we get 25%

Right now Light Packet internationally is only a better deal for 1-200g and 251-300g packages.

If there was 25% off Small Packet, Light Packet would only be a better deal for 251-300g packages.

To Australia/New Zealand (zone 5)

000-250g ..   8.65 .. Small packet (air) with a 25% discount

000-200g .. 10.10 .. Light Packet
000-250g .. 11.54 .. Small packet (air)

201-300g .. 13.46 .. Light Packet

251-500g .. 16.92 .. Small packet (air) with a 25% discount
251-500g .. 22.55 .. Small packet (air)
301-500g .. 24.57 .. Light Packet

To the UK (zone 2)

000-250g ..   7.71 .. Small packet (air) with a 25% discount

000-200g .. 10.10 .. Light Packet
000-250g .. 10.27 .. Small packet (air)

201-300g .. 13.46 .. Light Packet

251-500g .. 14.82 .. Small packet (air) with a 25% discount
251-500g .. 19.75 .. Small packet (air)
301-500g .. 24.57 .. Light Packet

-..-

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

With the 25 per cent discount carrot being dangled, Small Packets Airmail to Australia is clearly your better deal.

You may be right where certain items are concerned.  

Actually Small Packets International Air currently has the same first three weight breaks as Light Packet International Air -- up to 200, 300 and 500 grams, not up to 250.  As 'ypdc-dennis' notes above (he beat me to it), the actual weight break may make a difference. 

The point is, as he says, we have really got to be on our toes these days to get the best deal going.  

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Thank you for the elaboration. My calculations were based on a package at 212 g. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

You may be right where certain items are concerned.  

Actually Small Packets International Air currently has the same first three weight breaks as Light Packet International Air -- up to 200, 300 and 500 grams, not up to 250.  As 'ypdc-dennis' notes above (he beat me to it), the actual weight break may make a difference. 

The point is, as he says, we have really got to be on our toes these days to get the best deal going.  

Not quite.

The breaks are at 250 g for Small Packets airmail.

0 g to 250 g and 251 to 500 and again 501 to 1 kg.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison charts above.  On reflection, I think I'm wrong about the weight breaks for Small Packet International.   

I recall a few years ago printing out several pages of a huge, long table on Small Pkt international with codes for various destinations based on weight, so presumably there are no weight breaks that apply equally for all destinations.  

Since Canada Post revamped their website, I haven't taken the time to search for that chart again (if it still exists), but if you have it handy, I wouldn't mind bookmarking it again. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Never mind, I finally found it (after a lot of searching around).  Page 33 and 34 of this document: 

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/SBParcels-e.pdf

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:
If there was 25% off Small Packet, Light Packet would only be a better deal for 251-300g packages.

This was my intuitive feeling, since I send a lot of items in this weight range to Oz and NZ, but now that I've got your breakdowns and my CP chart, I'll be keeping a close watch on pricing for items going to the UK and other overseas destinations.  I do wish it were all much simpler. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Light Packet will likely remain for over-the-counter (although perhaps with a different name). The UPU 2018 rule changes for lettermail will go into effect, classing cross border lettermail into documents and into goods.  Light packet will be for the "goods" side of things.

* UPU - Union postale universelle

From a quick read (google about for UPU integrated product plan) it sounds like anything up to 500 grams (P and G letter class classification) is going to be restricted to documents only. The remaining small packet "E" class will be for goods up to 2kg (although still classified as letter post?) and will have higher terminal dues (not clear if this is for specific country parings or in general) to reflect the contents typically being goods and to rebalance some of the the losses UPU members are seeing having to deliver what are essentially parcels at lettermail rates.

My reading is light packet can be considered as being nuked, and you will have 0-2 kg non-tracked email, tracked packet under the Express program, then your priority services.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply