How do I report a suspicious listing because of 2 different sizes of Solid State Drive in details?

Seller of item  sold 10 SSDs in less than an hour since they were listed as new and selling for approx. 10% of actual value.. free shipping from Toronto? The heading said "480GB" but the description said "120GB".. I wanted to purchase one but they were sold in no time at all.. I sent a question to the seller about this plus whether they were SSDs or hybrids (another discrepancy)

There's something not right here but was unable to report it to ebay.. Why does ebay make it so difficult? To "streamline" problems?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

How do I report a suspicious listing because of 2 different sizes of Solid State Drive in details?

I do agree that sounds suspicious and I do agree that the Help & Contact system doesn't make it easy to contact Customer Service when you want to do it.

But I have to ask you what you would hope might happen when you reported an item like this as 'suspicious'. What is it that you hope ebay might do?

The call centres where you reach Customer Service are located thousands of kilometres away and even if they weren't they could hardly send Knuckles over to the seller's address to check what they have sitting on their desk.

And if members were able to have other member's listings pulled automatically due to 'suspicions' there would be nothing left to buy on ebay because it would be abused by sellers' jealous competitors. 

With the checks and balances in place, the people who bought that item will be able to report a problem if it is not as it seems, and that has long-term consequences for the seller if he or she has a habit of selling items that are not as described or shipping from a location that is misrepresented. 

But ebay also relies on buyers using common sense to avoid questionable purchases, much like police hope people won't just hand their open wallet to anyone who comes knocking at the door to canvass for the Tart and Bloke Foundation. 

It sounds to me like you did the right thing by voting with your wallet to steer clear of this seller. Otherwise, time will only tell. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

I do agree that sounds suspicious and I do agree that the Help & Contact system doesn't make it easy to contact Customer Service when you want to do it.

But I have to ask you what you would hope might happen when you reported an item like this as 'suspicious'. What is it that you hope ebay might do?

The call centres where you reach Customer Service are located thousands of kilometres away and even if they weren't they could hardly send Knuckles over to the seller's address to check what they have sitting on their desk.

And if members were able to have other member's listings pulled automatically due to 'suspicions' there would be nothing left to buy on ebay because it would be abused by sellers' jealous competitors. 

With the checks and balances in place, the people who bought that item will be able to report a problem if it is not as it seems, and that has long-term consequences for the seller if he or she has a habit of selling items that are not as described or shipping from a location that is misrepresented. 

But ebay also relies on buyers using common sense to avoid questionable purchases, much like police hope people won't just hand their open wallet to anyone who comes knocking at the door to canvass for the Tart and Bloke Foundation. 

It sounds to me like you did the right thing by voting with your wallet to steer clear of this seller. Otherwise, time will only tell. 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply