Chinese seller asks for additional shipping cost after I paid for item

I bought an item from a Chinese seller on December 3rd and he offered free shipping through Economy SpeedPAK to Canada.

Today he tells me the shipping cost to Canada went up due to COVID-19 and he's asking for $50 USD, or if he can cancel the order.

Don't really have a way to verify if the cost went up , but I went on some ebay listings from China and the shipping is nowhere near that high.
The item is probably no more than 1kg in weight.

Anyone can verify this guy's claims? I'm definately not paying $50 shipping on a $60 item.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

No seller is allowed to raise the cost of shipping.

Tell him you expect him to complete the transaction as advertised.

Do not allow him to "cancel".*

Have you paid?

If so you should know how to get your money back if he does not ship.

There is a Dispute button on your payment, but there is also a link to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

You want the automated Item Not Recieved Dispute.

The phone clerks cannot help you and for some reason will not even tell you how to make a formal Dispute.

You have 30 days from the last estimated date for delivery eBay gave you to open a Dispute.

If you are sick of dealing with him, and who would blame you, you can open a Dispute on Paypal for 180 days from Payment.

The PP Resolution Centre is on your PP account page under Activities.

If the seller cannot prove delivery (not shipping, Delivery) you will be refunded.

* With a Cancellation, he walks away scot-free. With a Dispute, he gets a Defect which can lead to higher fees, restrictions on the number and value of his listings, or even the loss of selling privileges.

Both get you a refund. Both allow you to leave feedback.

If he cancels, you can file a Report. Again, avoid the phones and go to Chat or to social media.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The Seller is lying to you. 

Nothing to do with covid-19 -- the impact on shipping has been around for over a year and a half -- so the Seller should know all about that by now.

Might be the Seller wanting more money, or might be simple politics -- China is currently expressing anger at countries that are not attending the Winter Olympics and Canada is on the hate list.

Either way, not a Seller I would trust completing a purchase with -- especially with them wanting to add on an overinflated shipping cost.

Let them cancel, get your money back.

-;-

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

you are better off to accept the cancel. because the seller is never going to ship it, then you are going to have to go after a refund 50-65 days later..  Wash your hands of this, get your money back now.. and find another seller..

Message 4 of 4
latest reply