Dealing with scammers

I’m new selling on eBay and I’m already dealing with scammers (The old sending a gift to my cousin trick). Anyways, I cancelled the order and reported the user to eBay. But now my listing is down and I can’t add a new one. Are there any other options I can look into to avoid this in the future? I didn’t know the buyer can “buy” and not submit the payment transaction action right away. Is there a setting to not allow this?
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Dealing with scammers

You can cancel transactions without penalty for two reasons: Buyer Request or Problem with Address.

Problem with Address is very flexible.

All the other reasons will give you a Defect and you really really don't want those.

However as a newbie, you are still proving yourself and as you know there are restrictions on the number and value of your listings.

Usually its something like ten items with total  asking prices or opening bids of $100 or so.

Which means ten $10 items or one $100 item.

• Protip- go for more cheap items while you are new. There is a steep learning curve.

If your cancelled item used all your available dollar value, you pretty well have to wait out the 30 days. If it was, say $75 of your $100, you can't relist it, but you could relist a $25 item.

So look at your Seller Hub.

My eBay-> Selling-> scroll down to Promotional Offers

to see what your restrictions currently are.

In addition there is Customer Service.

Most of the old lags here on the Boards are underwhelmed by the phone reps, who are poorly trained and have no authority.

So try the FaceBook or Twitter reps who are not yet burned out.

https://twitter.com/askebay
https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

Explain the problem and ask that your restrictions be loosened.

You can also protect yourself from scammers by increasing your FB rating. The easiest way to do this is with buying.

Choose sellers who leave FB on shipment and buy stuff you need like socks, or pens, or back to school items for the kids, or some fashionable new masks.

You did the right thing by ending the scam transaction.

So happy you found the Boards.

It can be a good life, if you don't weaken.

PS I just noticed your ID.

Sneakers are a very very high fraud category. There is even a step where sneakers MUST be sent to eBay's Authentication Centre.  I have no idea how that works, but it is nerve-wracking.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Dealing with scammers

I didn’t know the buyer can “buy” and not submit the payment transaction action right away. Is there a setting to not allow this?

When you make your listing, there is an option in the listing-type section to require immediate payment. If you check this off, your buyer is required to pay for it immediately before the sale is processed. 

Sorry to hear about the scam buyer on your first transaction. Great job on ending the transaction though! 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Dealing with scammers

Thank you. I’ll check the listing for that option. I set it to buy it now only but I’ll double check everything again.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Dealing with scammers

Look at the top right corner of the stupid Simplified Sell Your Item form for the Customize link. It will take you to the more detailed and easier to understand Business/Advanced form.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply